Well folks, after surviving high school and finally figuring on going after a Mesa Mark IV, the next question is what guitar? I already have an Ibanez SZ320 which will basically do to some degree everything that I need, so this one would have to be strictly for cleans. My primary influence is John Frusciante, so the obvious consideration would be a strat of some kind. The question is which of the many varieties of strat would get me the closest to his tone without dishing out $30000 for a real vintage? Also, are there any other guitars to consider; usually when someone says strat here someone else says Carvin; could that work in this case? My budget is around $1500 and if absolutely necessary I may be able to stretch.
If you're going strictly for clean tones, there's nothing better than a Tele. They're ugly and chunky to hold, but they have the best cleans. If you dig Frusciante's tone so much that you don't want to make your own, copy his strat or get one close to it and compensate with your amp. I'd say find your own tone, though. You'll be happier in the long run.
Quote by Sense()Offender
I'd say find your own tone, though. You'll be happier in the long run.

I'm really worried that, if I wanna go pro, I have to abandon copying the tone of my idols. I'm right. But hell, find what you like and stick with it. When you gte there, it'll be worth it.
Well obviously I want my own sound, but I want it to derive from Frusciante's; you gotta start somewhere.
tele ftw!
-Epiphone SG400
-Epiphone ES-339
-Dean Ekoa acoustic
-Peavey Valveking 212
-Fulltone Full-Drive 2
-Slash Signature Wah
Quote by Sense()Offender
If you're going strictly for clean tones, there's nothing better than a Tele. They're ugly and chunky to hold, but they have the best cleans. If you dig Frusciante's tone so much that you don't want to make your own, copy his strat or get one close to it and compensate with your amp. I'd say find your own tone, though. You'll be happier in the long run.

I find tele's to be attractive guitars that feel very good to play

but other than that I second everything he said.
Quote by captain_jack
I find tele's to be attractive guitars that feel very good to play

but other than that I second everything he said.

Just personal preference..

They sound damn amazing, but the thing that makes em awkward for me is the lack of body contour around the hip - your arm just hits the edge. As far as the ugly - I don't like the headstock shape. But that's just, like i said, personal preference. Aesthetic beauty is different for everyone.
I'm thinkin of gettin one, actually. Wanna get a Hot Rails thrown in the bridge and have the body curve sanded down on the hip.. Buddy of mine's got one with that mod on it, and it rips.
carvin bolts would work fine for cleans, even dirty if you wanted, but their necks don't feel like typical strat necks. it was a problem for me but idk about you. other than that the bolts are great guitars and well worth the money.

maybe you could find an Eric Johnson strat in your price range. its probably the best production strat ever. its very high quality and sounds amazing.

as others have said, a tele would be great for cleans. there are a lot of different models so do your research.

btw, you are going to have one hell of a rig for graduating high school haha. i wonder what you'll get if you get thru college!
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
^If? Just for that I'm actually going to do my work lol. Though the Mesa's all money I've saved up; my guitar and effects will be from my graduation and Eagle Scout money.
^nice, eagle scout $! where r u going to go to college?
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce