How do you do a double stroke drum roll? is it all wrist, forearm, fingers, What? i could never do a smooth roll...
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Mesa lonestar [prolly trade my DR for it]
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
Stephen Designs '59 pups [waiting for them to come]
A new bridge pup.
I use my wrist and my fingers, bring the first beat down with the wrist and the second with the fingers - I've never been taught though so thats just how I do it. I call it an open roll however.
Quote by Tom Martin
I use my wrist and my fingers, bring the first beat down with the wrist and the second with the fingers - I've never been taught though so thats just how I do it. I call it an open roll however.

word
Austin Les Paul rip-off that sounds really nice
Gibson V
PEAVEY JSX 212
well, you could slowly just work on RR LL RR LL RR etc..

or just kinda do it like a closed buzz roll, and think of it more open. kinda lift the sticks and let them bounce more.
Member #10 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance

Quote by Tom Martin

Quoted for the truth as I understand it.
use a drum machine noob
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Accent the second note of every stroke, so it would be rR lL rR lL etc. This helps as the fast you beome, the more the dynamic thins out to a consistant double stroke, however if you play RR LL RR LL , you will get your double stroke fine, but it will sound bad after a while as you wont get a clean note out of the second hit.

As Tom Martin said, thats pretty much it. But I seriously suggest you start off (as dumb as it sounds) using just your wrists in a real exagerated movement, this will stop you becoming lazy with your fingers as you will lose the power. WHEN youve given your wrists a bloody good work out, then move on to your fingers.

Snapping the wrist and then the fingers is nearly whats called "freehand" technique. this is where you almost rely completley on the heads rebound, and ability to get the fulcrum (pivot) of the stick dead right.

The next step from a double stroke is Moeller technique, im not even gonna to try and explain it, but check out my vids on differnt types of drums rolls www.youtube.com/nickdixon99
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by nick dixon
Accent the second note of every stroke, so it would be rR lL rR lL etc. This helps as the fast you beome, the more the dynamic thins out to a consistant double stroke, however if you play RR LL RR LL , you will get your double stroke fine, but it will sound bad after a while as you wont get a clean note out of the second hit.

As Tom Martin said, thats pretty much it. But I seriously suggest you start off (as dumb as it sounds) using just your wrists in a real exagerated movement, this will stop you becoming lazy with your fingers as you will lose the power. WHEN youve given your wrists a bloody good work out, then move on to your fingers.

Snapping the wrist and then the fingers is nearly whats called "freehand" technique. this is where you almost rely completley on the heads rebound, and ability to get the fulcrum (pivot) of the stick dead right.

The next step from a double stroke is Moeller technique, im not even gonna to try and explain it, but check out my vids on differnt types of drums rolls www.youtube.com/nickdixon99

youre the man of the hour.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
A new bridge pup.
I would think it would take practice.

LL RR LL RR etc.

I have mastered the bounce triplet lol.

i should really practice my rudiments more..
Hit the drum head then let the stick bounce one time, but act kind of like your trying to hit the drum head so the 'ball' of the stick stays on the drum. repeat with both hands.

so like an open roll but only letting each stick only hit twice
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by King_Arthur
Hit the drum head then let the stick bounce one time, but act kind of like your trying to hit the drum head so the 'ball' of the stick stays on the drum. repeat with both hands.

so like an open roll but only letting each stick only hit twice

ok, before i knew wat a real drum roll was, i would just hit the snare head and keep it in contact so the natural vibration would cause a cheap ****ty roll sound. is that and open roll?
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
A new bridge pup.
Quote by Rockstar12345
ok, before i knew wat a real drum roll was, i would just hit the snare head and keep it in contact so the natural vibration would cause a cheap ****ty roll sound. is that and open roll?

Thats a buzz roll, like a marching band, or a sterotypical "drum roll please" moment.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.