I can't decide which to buy, either a US Telecaster or a Gibson SG standard (moneys not object, so don't say to get one because it's cheaper that the other).

I mainly play music by Fall Out Boy, Led Zeppelin, and the Chilis. I know John Frusciante plays a tele and Patrick Stump plays an SG, so I really don't know which would be better for me playing that type of music.

Any suggestions?
Don't tell me you're buying an SG because Patrick Stump plays one....

EDIT: Personally, I like the darker, warmer tone you get out of a Gibson
Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fall Out Boy.

(Sings) One of these things is not like the other!

Here's the deal. You're not going to be able to perfectly nail the other tone with the wrong guitar, since Teles don't have humbuckers, and SGs don't have lipstick tubes. Figure out which one you like more (dear god I hope it's Frusciante) and play the guitars first at a GC. Pick for yourself and you'll appreciate it more.

Although, you do get more guitar for your money with the Tele...

What kind of amp do you have? You could get a Mexico Tele that's just as good as an average American, and spend your extra money on a Blues Junior or something. Just a thought.
go for the tele, it's more versatile and SG's are gay looking, and fall out boy doesn't exactly have the instrumental skills that would merit buying a guitar because one of them play it. not flaming them, just saying that the instrumentals in their songs aren't very complex.
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
Quote by kienas
I can't decide which to buy, either a US Telecaster or a Gibson SG standard (moneys not object, so don't say to get one because it's cheaper that the other).

I mainly play music by Fall Out Boy, Led Zeppelin, and the Chilis. I know John Frusciante plays a tele and Patrick Stump plays an SG, so I really don't know which would be better for me playing that type of music.

He plays a Strat. :\
although i love sgs, and i have one, if u are buying it on instrumental preference, buy the tele. FOB is not very good gutiar lines to learn, unlike frusciante who is epic. try them both out at a store, then see wht happens
I've only got a Marshall MG100DFX amp.

Would paying the extra money for a US tele, rather than a Mex, be worth it or not then?
Quote by LastAuramancer
go for the tele, it's more versatile and SG's are gay looking, and fall out boy doesn't exactly have the instrumental skills that would merit buying a guitar because one of them play it. not flaming them, just saying that the instrumentals in their songs aren't very complex.

Teles aren't very versatile at all :/

I vote Strat. Who else votes Strat?

Strat?
Quote by Leonheart

He play's a strat, a tele, a gretsch and I've even seen him play a Les Paul.
Quote by kienas
I've only got a Marshall MG100DFX amp.

Would paying the extra money for a US tele, rather than a Mex, be worth it or not then?

ARFFFFF

Buy a new amp before you even consider a new guitar, tbh...

The extra money for US versus Mex is a lot different from the extra money for Mex versus Asia. MiM Fenders are actually not that bad of guitars, despite what the price may tell you. Go to a store and play around on one.

And, do us a favor, and play it through a nice $400-ish tube amp if you can find one.

Marshall MGs... Icky
I vote Tele because I love Teles. The American Tele is very good, and you would be happy with it, but I don't know whether you'd be more happy with an SG. Considering you state two bands that would be more suited to the SG (LZ and FOB), you might want to think about the SG instead. I used to really want one too, but then my tastes got a bit more varied and now the Tele fits the bill.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
mexican and american fenders are pretty much the same quality wise.
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
Quote by aleister
Teles aren't very versatile at all :/

I vote Strat. Who else votes Strat?

Strat?

Yeah, I vote strat too
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
I'd go for a Tele. I just love those expensive butterscotch colored Tele's ...
Definitely get a new amp first... Peavey Classic 30 maybe?

As for the guitar I'd go for the Tele. Will do Zep pretty good
NEW AMP! You my good sir need a new amp before you even think of getting a new guitar.
"...And the guy thats on the ground, that needs some help, you dont walk up and kick him. If you do that you better be wearing shoes for a while. 'Cause you know what? Trade places with him.. he'll pick you up." Stevie Ray Vaughan
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Definitely get a new amp first... Peavey Classic 30 maybe?

As for the guitar I'd go for the Tele. Will do Zep pretty good

He's got a point. Peavey Classics are damn good amps.

Seriously, consider the Strat.
SG's Have Icons Such As Hendrix, Clapton, Iommi For God's Sake Not bloody Fall Out Boy!
AAARGHH! I WANT TO IMPALE FALL OUT BOT MY SG!!

P.s : I have both, both are very good guitars IMO, all depends on the style you play really

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Quote by kienas

Any suggestions?

You're buying an SG because of Patrick Stump? Why not the millions of good players that have used it, like Clapton, Angus Young, Frank Zappa, Tony Iommi, etc., instead of that twat. Your taste in music needs saving, young man!
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by TheFly_1990
SG's Have Icons Such As Hendrix, Clapton, Iommi For God's Sake Not bloody Fall Out Boy!
AAARGHH! I WANT TO IMPALE FALL OUT BOT MY SG!!

P.s : I have both, both are very good guitars IMO, all depends on the style you play really

Since when did Hendrix and Clapton ever play an SG?
Quote by ebbbaaa
You're buying an SG because of Patrick Stump? Why not the millions of good players that have used it, like Clapton, Angus Young, Frank Zappa, Tony Iommi, etc., instead of that twat. Your taste in music needs saving, young man!

YES!!! PATRICK STUMP IS NOT WORTHY OF THE SG!!!!

EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
MXR Phase 90
Claptons "The Fool" Psychedelic SG and I'm Sure Hendrix Once played a white sg with 3 humbuckers and trem

EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
MXR Phase 90
I've got to be honest with you. I hate strats, don't get a strat, but teles are ok. Also, I hate Fall Out Boy but that doesnt mean you shouldnt buy the SG. I've played both, and I prefer the SG cuz it's got a better feel and all frets are easily reachable. Plus, we all know that gibsons are much better.

My vote: SG
Quote by Whole Lotta Led

THANK YOU GOOD SIR!

EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
MXR Phase 90
Well, Aleister you got me there but most of clapton's cream days were im pretty sure played on the fool, but yes sir you are right and i finally unjammed my caps lock key, yipee!

ive decided SG Gets My Vote

EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
MXR Phase 90
Quote by aleister
Well played, sir, but are they not both more famous for playing Strats?

Well yes... especially Hendrix of course. Clapton has used the SG quite often in the Cream days though.
*Tank leaves the Awesome Aleister and Whole Lotta Led to bicker*

EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
MXR Phase 90
I say sweep the leg.

One of those nice custom Teles couldn't hurt, like an SH or something.

Go to a Guitar Center and try guitars until you find one you like, don't let us make up your mind for you.
But seriously, if you dare desecrate the greatness of the SG or the Tele with Fall Out Boy, I will come to your house and rape you in the neck.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by ebbbaaa
But seriously, if you dare desecrate the greatness of the SG or the Tele with Fall Out Boy, I will come to your house and rape you in the neck.

WIN
Quote by Leonheart

and a tele too

and you have to try out the guitars, to see which guitar makes you feel more confortable and also which tone do you like more, cause they're really different guitars
lets not forget jimmy page used a telecaster back in the early days of Zeppelin...i actually like Jimmy on the tele more than the paul
Quote by strat335
lets not forget jimmy page used a telecaster back in the early days of Zeppelin...i actually like Jimmy on the tele more than the paul