im going to be building another one of my preamps. all the parts have been ordered and are on their way. i was just wondering if anyone here builds there own amps.

Ill be updating with pics as soon as i start building
My Rig:
ESP LTD EC 400
Yahama Acoustic
Boss GT-8
Spider II Line 6 30
Yes, I do and there are a few other people here who do too.
What sort of preamp are you making?
GB&C Pedal Builders and Mod Squadron
vBulletin Message

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list.

Bugger
I have built them in the past, but i can buy from a $2 store one of those ipod sets of speakers with a preamp for sub $2. so i just buy them & rip the guts out. Surprisingly the quality of the preamp is very good the amp .4W is crappy but what can you expect. For $2 it is a cheap pre amp.
How much did your parts cost to order?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
in total my parts cost $138 (USD). its a small signal booster with ton controls. but my friend made the same thing and it sounds pretty good.
My Rig:
ESP LTD EC 400
Yahama Acoustic
Boss GT-8
Spider II Line 6 30
yea its a tube amp . bass mid treble and a master volume, pretty simple and small right now. Ill upload pics when i start on friday. what kinda of amps do you build
My Rig:
ESP LTD EC 400
Yahama Acoustic
Boss GT-8
Spider II Line 6 30
$138 isn't too bad - that's about the cost of a decent transformer in England. I build pretty much anything, from PA and monitor systems, to rack mount preamps and poweramps. Most of the time it's all in one things, a lot like the Diezel VH4 - multiple effects loops, multiple channels, midi control etc. It's a good way to make money
GB&C Pedal Builders and Mod Squadron
vBulletin Message

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list.

Bugger
Sounds like a good project. But honestly as an electronics technician i just cant understand why people still believe there is some sort of superiority with valves. That "WARM" tone we all talk about with valves is called distortion in the trade. Mind you I totally believe in each to their own & just because i dont hear any difference that doesnt mean you dont. But i tell you waht i do like about valves (& the only reason i reckon they are still around today) is that they look WAY cool especially when lit up.

Oh I'm 50 years old so yeah i used to work on valve equiptment as well as transistor stuff during my working life. Im retired now.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
yea hopefully everything works out with this, and im praying it takes off so i can sell them. trying to buy my car with any money i can make off selling these. please tell anyone who may be interested to contact me by PM or email
imathew2004@yahoo.com
My Rig:
ESP LTD EC 400
Yahama Acoustic
Boss GT-8
Spider II Line 6 30
@ThreadStarter: Wow that's a cool project! I may do one eventually... maybe in a few years!

I wish you good luck and I'll be following your building!
( /subscription... loll )
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
haha thanks for the support much appreciated
My Rig:
ESP LTD EC 400
Yahama Acoustic
Boss GT-8
Spider II Line 6 30
It is a niche market & if you can get a foothold you'll do O.K. Good luck.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
good luck on the pre amp, dixfix your 50? holy ****. i am trying to get down what i want in a pre amp to make one when the bank desideds to let me cash my checks, so cheers
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Yep no kiddin 50

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
anyone know how the lee jackson perfict connections get to much gain with only 3 tubes? i mean they get more gain then most with double that

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by t heff
anyone know how the lee jackson perfict connections get to much gain with only 3 tubes? i mean they get more gain then most with double that

they probably design everything carefully so they can get away with bleeding less signal to ground, and maybe they run the tubes hotter..
Probably the output configuration of the amp Yeah?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
A better tuned feedback system? By changing the feedback loop resistor in an AM radio I made, I almost doubled the volume without too much distorting.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Some of the old 3valve radios used to use a triode as the preamp & driver with some rather elaborate filters then use the two other valves as push pull (50% duty cycle each valve) for max output , but often the triode had to have 2 HT connections for different voltages or at least 2 heaters. Fun stuff. The principals of amps hasnt changed much till the advent of the MOSFET getting all sorts of wierd duty cycles for each one (i think they go to class 'F'now). Beyond me LOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
so dix you saying there is a way to use a preamp tube more then once in a cycle?

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
t heff only if it has more than 1 function built in to it. No one tells the glass tube it cant contain 2 valves inside it or 3. I realise that im being trite, but it is exactly what i mean. With valves or indeed transistors, you (the manufacturer) can put what ever configuration you see fit inside the glass. Or inside the substrate if transistor. But yes you can certainly have them do more than one function at once i.e. diffamps, in one tube rectifier diode & preamp in one tube, etc etc.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Yea, just like a 6U8 is a pentode tube with a triode tube. Since 7199 tubes are out of production, me and some other people are going to try and get JJ to manufacture a tube with a EF86 and a 12AU7. That would rock.
I remember radio enthusiests started building their own tubes at home. It is probably worth a google.
edit : Oh we arnt talking namby - pamby stuff either they were outputs for a sw radio antenna 500w plus each tube, mmmmmmmmmmm impressive.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jul 16, 2007,
im pretty shure that a 500 watt single ended class a amp would make it perfict for gigs, point amp at weak kid in crowd, crank all the way up, and stand the **** back

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
ok so sorry to hijack but, is it possibly to make an 18ax7? or something, cuz ive always wanted to find a way to make a class a portable mid-highgain preamp

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
with the right equiptment it is possable to make what ever you want, like i said no one told the glass tube what it can have inside it.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!