I was just at Guitar Center, trying out a guitar I'm planning on acquiring, and when I asked the manager about layaways (they do them, at 25% of the total price), and then about whether the guitar I had my eyes on was likely to sell within a week. He said that, usually, people don't buy the floor model, you CAN, but they have 4 in boxes that you can get new. I asked if I could try them. He basically said that that's really weird (to try them out of the boxes) and no one does that, and they don't do that. Basically, that it's unnecessary, but what he really meant was that he wasn't interested in that.

This irritated me somewhat. Does he REALLY expect me to buy blind? If I buy a guitar, I'm playing it first. Does anyone actually buy guitars they haven't played, unless they're VERY underpriced? I mean, I was really put off by this. The guy was very nice, and said since he was the manager and immune to commission, he'd sell me the guitar for less. That was nice, and cool, but I'm very disappointed in the idea of buying blind.

If I buy blind at GC, and I find the guitar sounds like **** (bad wood, poor setup, etc.) can I return it with that excuse? Gibson has terrible quality control, and that is specifically why I wanted that floor model. But it isn't in the greatest shape, and other people have molested it already. I'd like a nice virgin guitar, but how will I know if it plays well? I had heard other people try out their extras in back, to find one they like. Did this guy just assume I'm some punk with no ear for tone?

What are my options? This model of the Gibson Les Paul is a Guitar Center exclusive. Options? Different Guitar Center's, perhaps? Thanks for your attention.
Quote by Twist of fate
cool. Ever get head from a stuffed animal?

Quote by casualty01
Say hello to your new warden, bitches!
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Why not try the floor model? If you like the sound of that then buy one of the boxed ones. If the sound between the two is really different then there is something wrong with the one you bought and you can exchange it.

I don't find it that strange. They have one guitar to try out and four that they keep from being worn or scratched or anything.
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
I bought a Jackson Jrs330 something Rhoads off of musicians friend and I highly regret that, And then I went to the local music store about a year latter looking to get a better guitar, and had about 450 bucks in my pocket so I found some I liked in my price range, and got an iceman, just because it liked nice and I could afford it, but I feel like an idiot because had I simply been patient I could have gotten a highend guitar with a floyd that didnt have any fret buzzing, difficulty staying intune, and i feel like crap about that now, so to any buyers out there DO NOT buy blindly or just because you want a guitar, get what fits you, its the only way you can really make the sound you want to hear.
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
i would never do that, i would always play that specific guitar, like you expected, before i bought it. i have no idea what that guy was talking about
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
Dude, if you play the floor model, it should be exactly the same as the box model. They can't put a floor one out there with mods and call it the same. The boxed guitar will only sound better. I think you're just whining about it. And say that it does have something wrong, take it right back. And you don't know that Gibson has terrible quality control. They are able to sell their guitars at outrageously high prices for a reason: because they're good. (and little competition, but that's for a different lesson, kiddies.) I think you just want to cause trouble.

And besides, if you're good, and if you love playing, it shouldn't matter if you're playing a squier or a gibson.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
i dont know... i bought my warlock online and i lke it.

but im starting to notice how bad my spider 3 amp sounds...
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
Quote by cashewchaching
Dude, if you play the floor model, it should be exactly the same as the box model. They can't put a floor one out there with mods and call it the same. The boxed guitar will only sound better. I think you're just whining about it. And say that it does have something wrong, take it right back. And you don't know that Gibson has terrible quality control. They are able to sell their guitars at outrageously high prices for a reason: because they're good. (and little competition, but that's for a different lesson, kiddies.) I think you just want to cause trouble.

And besides, if you're good, and if you love playing, it shouldn't matter if you're playing a squier or a gibson.
EVERY guitar is different. Even if they're assembled in a factory. And when you're buying an instrument and paying a lot of money you want to know what you're getting. You want to make sure it plays and feels just right. It's true that you can return the instrument if there's a defect, but many stores won't let you return something just because it didn't play or feel right. And even if they will, you wasted your time.

However, as someone else said, if you have the option of buying the floor model, and you'll get it cheaper than the box model then that's a deal. You shouldn't be upset at the situation you should take it. Just insist on buying the floor model, you'll get what you played and you'll get it cheaper. How can you argue with that ?
depends. At a place like Guitar center, yes I would definitely try out the guitar first. But at a place like this, I have enough trust to buy a guitar that looks good to me.
Quote by Hidde
Why not try the floor model? If you like the sound
of that then buy one of the boxed ones. If the sound between the
two is really different then there is something wrong with the one
you bought and you can exchange it.

I did. I loved it. I think I already mentioned that. They don't
normally sell the floor models. I don't find it that strange. They have one guitar to try out and four that they keep from being worn or scratched or anything.

Every guitar is different. ESPECIALLY with Gibsons. Gibson quality
control is ****ty... I've played Les Paul Classics that were well built, sounded and played amazing, and ones that were poorly built and sounded and played like crap. BIG difference. Buying blind is Russian roulette.

For me, a guitar has to 'click'. I have to fall in love with it. If I don't feel that it's fate, and that that guitar is 'the one', I don't need it. How can I know I love a guitar that I've never played? Regardless of build, two guitars can sound different solely due to one having very toneful wood and the other having wood that was from the ****-end of the tree. I don't want the ****-end, I want the good side!

Quote by jhjps
i would never do that, i would always play that specific guitar, like you expected, before i bought it. i have no idea what that guy was talking about

I'm sick of the condescension of Guitar Center salesmen. I mean,
this guy was nice and meant well, I have nothing against him. But I'm sick of salesmen telling me the difference between a tube amp
and a solid-state amp is nothing more than volume, or that all guitars of a specific model will sound alike. Are they that ***ing ignorant, or are they just lying bastards? In either case, it's inexcusable and disgusting.

Quote by cashewchaching
Dude, if you play the floor model, it should
be exactly the same as the box model. They can't put a floor one
out there with mods and call it the same. The boxed guitar will only sound better. I think you're just whining about it. [...] And you don't know that Gibson has terrible quality control. They are able to sell their guitars at outrageously high prices for a reason: because they're good. (and little competition, but that'sfor a different lesson, kiddies.) I think you just want to cause trouble.
And besides, if you're good, and if you love playing, it shouldn't
matter if you're playing a squier or a gibson.

I'm not paying close to a grand to play a ****ing Squier! Are you daft?

It's not about modifications, they're built with the same materials. Refer to this post. Guitars vary due to build quality and the tonefulness of the wood.
Yes I do. This is well known, and I've found their quality control to be outrageously bad ($2000 guitars that are garbage, for example, or just set up like ****) and this is no secret.

No, because they're pretty and famous. The only difference between
the $800 guitar I'm going to buy and a $1800 Les Paul Classic is,
apparently, binding, finish, and a maple top.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Last edited by rosswigley89 at Jul 10, 2007,
Quote by cashewchaching

Pretty much agree 100% with that.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by rosswigley89
I did. I loved it. I think I already mentioned that. They don't
normally sell the floor models. I don't find it that strange. They have one guitar to try out and four that they keep from being worn or scratched or anything.

Every guitar is different. ESPECIALLY with Gibsons. Gibson quality
control is ****ty... I've played Les Paul Classics that were well built, sounded and played amazing, and ones that were poorly built and sounded and played like crap. BIG difference. Buying blind is Russian roulette.

For me, a guitar has to 'click'. I have to fall in love with it. If I don't feel that it's fate, and that that guitar is 'the one', I don't need it. How can I know I love a guitar that I've never played? Regardless of build, two guitars can sound different solely due to one having very toneful wood and the other having wood that was from the ****-end of the tree. I don't want the ****-end, I want the good side!

I'm sick of the condescension of Guitar Center salesmen. I mean,
this guy was nice and meant well, I have nothing against him. But I'm sick of salesmen telling me the difference between a tube amp
and a solid-state amp is nothing more than volume, or that all guitars of a specific model will sound alike. Are they that ***ing ignorant, or are they just lying bastards? In either case, it's inexcusable and disgusting.

It's not about modifications, they're built with the same materials. Refer to this post. Guitars vary due to build quality and the tonefulness of the wood.
Yes I do. This is well known, and I've found their quality control to be outrageously bad ($2000 guitars that are garbage, for example, or just set up like ****) and this is no secret.

Sure I guess. Im a great player and on my 75 dollar strat better than most i guess... i have good tone thats basically strings and amp......
Quote by c0ld_3mphasis05
Sure I guess. Im a great player and on my 75 dollar strat better than most i guess... i have good tone thats basically strings and amp......

You don't seem to be getting what I'm saying. If I pay $800, I expect to get what I'm paying for. I consider myself a good player, though I don't say things like "I'm a great player and use a $75 Strat", and, yes, I can be inspired through my garbage amp and guitars with terrible intonation, but I want something BETTER. Why should I pay big money to get more of the same? That is illogical.

I agree with your point, though. Your setup isn't everything. But it is a catalyst.
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you
Quote by rosswigley89

he's not saying a $1000 squier. hes saying that it shouldnt matter what you play as long as you love playing it.
Quote by moonhawk
he's not saying a $1000 squier. hes saying that it shouldnt matter what you play as long as you love playing it.

I believe you're wrong. Read what he said. He said that, if you love playing, it shouldn't matter if you're playing a good guitar or a bad one. I already have some "good-bad" guitars, and one good guitar. If I pay good-guitar price, I expect what I pay for!

If I get a guitar I haven't played, and it sounds like ass, will Guitar Center let me return it?
Quote by Twist of fate

Quote by casualty01
Quote by Masamune
I love you