Page 1 of 2
I get into aruguments with people all the time over what makes a great guitarist.
Whenever people start raving about how great Clapton is or how much talent Hendrix had, i have to ask why.
the response is always: LONGEVITY!!!

My question is, is it longevity or modern creativity that makes a good guitarist? In 20 years, will people still be worshiping Jimmi or will it be the modern gods who have expanded upon the greatness of others. By modern gods of course i mean John, Morello, Herman Li, etc.

I like to think the newer (yes, BETTER) guitarist will take the place of their older counterparts. (that is, if rock still exists in the wake of hip-hop and brittney spears reincarnates)
Having your own sound and style. I think the modern heros of guitar are guys like Mattias Elkundh, who have a unique approach to playing but also excell at the standard sort of rockin' songs. At least in rock that is.
Quote by BerryTree
Who Cares? Its an opinionated question, and no they wont take the place of the icons. What do you mean by longevity anyways? I mean, Hendrix was just as creative.

And the new guitarists aren't Better than the old ones, wtf have you been smokin kid.

I wonder why everyone thinks that just because some one was a guitarist back then they are better than the ones today.
This era has some incredibly talented musicians
eg, Alexi laiho, corey beaulieu, herman li, etc.

Guitarists back then were overrated, angus young, jimi hendrix(hes still awesome though), tony iommi(sp?), etc..
Quote by BerryTree
Who Cares? Its an opinionated question, and no they wont take the place of the icons. What do you mean by longevity anyways? I mean, Hendrix was just as creative.

And the new guitarists aren't Better than the old ones, wtf have you been smokin kid.

Yes...cause Karl Sanders and Mikael Akerfeldt are just terrible guitar players and song writers...Back in Black and Thunderstruck were much more thought out. Asshole
Quote by 319
Yes...cause Karl Sanders and Mikael Akerfeldt are just terrible guitar players and song writers...Back in Black and Thunderstruck were much more thought out. Asshole

Did I say they were? ( And where did I mention Ac/Dc in my comment begin with.)Asshat

edit to Megalomaniac16: I think I came a bit too strong in my response man lol, but yea theres great ones in all time periods, It doesn't matter about the longevity. 60s through present.
Last edited by BerryTree at Jul 10, 2007,
If a guitar player writes music pleasing to my ears (or improvises it) then I consider them a good guitarist, simple as that. Anyone can play fast with enough practice, not everyone can write good songs, let alone great ones.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

What makes a great guitarist?

The same thing that makes a great bassist, drummer, singer, pianist and so on and so forth. Constantly working towards being as proficient as one can be with any given instrument. always trying to gain more knowledge of music theory and music in general for further reference in playing or composing different styles of music. Striving for originality and innovation in any composed piece of music while still being tasteful. Knowing your role in any band considering what styling of music is being played (knowing when to be melodic, rhythmic, subtle, atmospheric etc..). Knowing when tone down your playing or manage your volume to let another instrument shine through to develop song dynamics. Good showman ship. Plays with emotion. And everything in between which includes but is not limited to... being knowledgable about your instrument and how it works, knowing how to effectively use accessories or other things of that nature such as effects pedals, proper instrument care, respect for fellow musicians...

All that makes a great guitarist... as well as any other musician.

EDIT: btw, fame or career success or longevity has NOTHING to do with it. You can be a fantastic player without being hailed as a guitar god like Hendrix or Page. They are great players, but the fame didn't make them great, they just happened to get recognition. And good on them they deserved it, but still the fame does nothing for your talent.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Last edited by Child Of Maiden at Jul 11, 2007,
Quote by pumpkins_rule
If a guitar player writes music pleasing to my ears (or improvises it) then I consider them a good guitarist, simple as that. Anyone can play fast with enough practice, not everyone can write good songs, let alone great ones.

+1

I'd take Jack White over Herman Li any day
Quote by pumpkins_rule

the problem is that the "quality" of a song is subjective some people think that kurt cobain was an amazing song writer and a really original guitarist...some others think he just sucks

i think what makes a great guitarist is the originality of his work...no matter if he's fast, slow, or weird... i love them when they try to sound different, sometimes there's a huge need for a fast solo some others just need something to get the song going one...it's a matter of perspective too

it's like people comparing herman li and jack white...IMO herman li is a better guitarist...BUT i'd rather listen to jack white than herman li, no matter of it's technique or speed, it's just what i like
am i the only one who thinks that herman doesnt belong in the list of great guitarist? the way i see it, he only plays things right when he is drunk and lucky.

Quote by deluxity
the problem is that the "quality" of a song is subjective some people think that kurt cobain was an amazing song writer and a really original guitarist...some others think he just sucks

i think what makes a great guitarist is the originality of his work...no matter if he's fast, slow, or weird... i love them when they try to sound different, sometimes there's a huge need for a fast solo some others just need something to get the song going one...it's a matter of perspective too

it's like people comparing herman li and jack white...IMO herman li is a better guitarist...BUT i'd rather listen to jack white than herman li, no matter of it's technique or speed, it's just what i like

You just contradicted yourself, seeing as Jack White writes really original guitar work, and Herman Li rips off the Tetris theme song every time he plays

that's not opinion, that's fact right there
This thread is like flamesville!

Some people may say:
"To be a great guitarist you need emotion"

and others say:
"To be a great guitarist you need to play fast!!"

it's too opinionated to have a civilised conversation.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by blackflag49
+1

Aside from what I put in my post, just about everything else is personal opinion.

Which means that much like your post, this thread is just going to turn into:

"OMG wut a n00b! Geetarz plai-er 1 cAN plAY 8972263847623784 not3s per secu|\|t! "

"Ugh... no one carez any-1 can do teh shreddz it taks no talunt. guhtar play-ur 2 playz with more emoti0nz!"

Or in blackflag's case...

"I'll take guitar player a over guitar player b any day" without even answering the threadstarters question.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Shouldn't thing go in the "Great Guitarist of this Era' Thread...seems awfully familar, with all the opinions and such...
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by blackflag49
You just contradicted yourself, seeing as Jack White writes really original guitar work, and Herman Li rips off the Tetris theme song every time he plays

that's not opinion, that's fact right there

when i said "better guitarist" i was talking about the fact that he can play 109823 nps

look at the bottom of my post (sorry if i wasn't clear enough)

also, most of the time people say "OMG he's not playing with feeling he's just playing a bunch of notes"

well, back in the day people like hendrix, page, clapton were admired by their speed, now they look like little kids in front of people like francesco fareri or rusty cooley (i don't like their music, too "technical" for my taste) so just to keep the old ones in the top add the classic "they have a lot of feeling in their playing"

i personally don't care about what they're feeling when they're playing, i more interested in what they make me feel while i'm listening to their music
Quote by Child Of Maiden
Aside from what I put in my post, just about everything else is personal opinion.

Which means that much like your post, this thread is just going to turn into:

"OMG wut a n00b! Geetarz plai-er 1 cAN plAY 8972263847623784 not3s per secu|\|t! "

"Ugh... no one carez any-1 can do teh shreddz it taks no talunt. guhtar play-ur 2 playz with more emoti0nz!"

Or in blackflag's case...

"I'll take guitar player a over guitar player b any day" without even answering the threadstarters question.

Get over yourself, man

In my country, when you quote somebody and say +1, that means you agree with them. Maybe you didn't understand, but that means the quote, what it says....that's my answer to the question
Quote by blackflag49
Get over yourself, man

In my country, when you quote somebody and say +1, that means you agree with them. Maybe you didn't understand, but that means the quote, what it says....that's my answer to the question

Any time you tell someone to get over themselves and then fallow it up with "In my country..." you pretty much stuck your head up your own ass.

And last time I checked California and New York were in the same country.

But this has nothing to do with the +1. I get the concept of +1 . But in case you didn't understand MY post (btw in my country we read someones post before we hit the quote button) I quoted you because you like many others are just turning this into a pointless "I'd take guitar player A over guitar player B for (insert opinion)" argument instead of answering the thread starters question.

"WHAT MAKES A GREAT GUITARIST?"
Last edited by Child Of Maiden at Jul 11, 2007,
Quote by blackflag49
+1

thats fine, i agree that jack is a lot more creative than herman, but that dosn't mean he is a better guitarist.
Quote by Megalomaniac16
thats fine, i agree that jack is a lot more creative than herman, but that dosn't mean he is a better guitarist.

So creativity has nothing to do with how good a guitarist is (in your opinion)?
Quote by European Son
So creativity has nothing to do with how good a guitarist is (in your opinion)?

i guess i didn't word that very well

i think that someone who is very creative but not as good at guitar (white) is not as good as someone who is phenomenally good at guitar, but no necesarily as creative (Li).
Quote by Megalomaniac16
I get into aruguments with people all the time over what makes a great guitarist.
Whenever people start raving about how great Clapton is or how much talent Hendrix had, i have to ask why.
the response is always: LONGEVITY!!!

My question is, is it longevity or modern creativity that makes a good guitarist? In 20 years, will people still be worshiping Jimmi or will it be the modern gods who have expanded upon the greatness of others. By modern gods of course i mean John, Morello, Herman Li, etc.

I like to think the newer (yes, BETTER) guitarist will take the place of their older counterparts. (that is, if rock still exists in the wake of hip-hop and brittney spears reincarnates)

Clapton was brilliant on the guitar. Sure, he's not Herman Li, but neither is John Frusciante. Hendrix was easily as good as John and a lot more creative than him. The older guys paved the way for newer guys, regardless of what genre they're in. When Hendrix came around, noone was playing as fast as he was, or in the style that he was. That revolutionized the guitar in that day. Then Van Halen came along and completely redefined how rock and roll was played with his tapping technique. Sure, he wasn't the first guy to do it, but he popularized it. It's been going on like that for years and years and years.

Not to mention, Clapton just makes amazing music I don't know how you couldn't like him.

As for emotion.... That's an entirely subjective thing, and really not something that you can measure. Everyone will react in their own way to someones guitar playing. That is a fact.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Last edited by Page&HammettFan at Jul 11, 2007,
i think a great guitarist is one that just makes good music idk how to explain it

like blends well into the song and doesnt stand out too much like showing off skills or anything
Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
I hate these threads, and here's why...

It will start out with people making good arguments, you know, playing swith soul, playing good improv, etc. Then one of two things will happen:

1. Somebody will mention John Frusciante. This will ignite a fury-infested argument, about how overrated Frusciante is. Soon, a RHCP fanboy will reply, saying how awesome he is, and how that guy can go f**k off. This useless, pointless bickering will continue, with ridiculous comparisons made along the way, before somebody finnaly writes a long essay similar to this one, finding a way to change the topic to Jimmy Page. The sequence then starts over again. Unless...

2. Some metalhead comes in and says that speed is everything, and puts down every guitarist said before him, and precedes to say either A. Dimebag Darrel, or B. Herman Li. This will again start off another argument, with an ending similar to my previous scenario.

Thats it. I just think anything to do with guitarist threads are pointless in posting in: You can make good points, sure, but there will always be some ignorant a-hole that calls you a jackass and makes a ridiculous argument that sends members in a blaze. So I avoid guitarist threads. Its just an endless circle, that never goes anywhere. I stopped posting in the best guitarsit thread because of it, hopefully some of you will realize how dumb this all is and stop too.

/rant.
The.
Speed-playing is showmanship not a sign of a great guitarist IMHO.

I think guitar will go the way of the moog synthesiser (?sp) if it continues to depend for its sound on electronic gizmos such as a multitude of pedals etc. and cement wall-breaking decibels. Popular guitar is increasingly becoming electronic sounds not an individual's music.

What other instrument relies so heavily on things other than the instrument and the player?

I am not saying here that we should all play acoustic guitars: electrics are fine. It's all the junk that added that's the problem in defining a good guitarist and good guitar music.

EDIT: And I wish the post above had been there before I posted this one.
Last edited by Ancient Jello at Jul 11, 2007,
Quote by Page&HammettFan
Clapton was brilliant on the guitar. Sure, he's not Herman Li, but neither is John Frusciante. Hendrix was easily as good as John and a lot more creative than him. The older guys paved the way for newer guys, regardless of what genre they're in. When Hendrix came around, noone was playing as fast as he was, or in the style that he was. That revolutionized the guitar in that day. Then Van Halen came along and completely redefined how rock and roll was played with his tapping technique. Sure, he wasn't the first guy to do it, but he popularized it. It's been going on like that for years and years and years.

Not to mention, Clapton just makes amazing music I don't know how you couldn't like him.

As for emotion.... That's an entirely subjective thing, and really not something that you can measure. Everyone will react in their own way to someones guitar playing. That is a fact.

**** off! john frusciante is amazing!
Quote by IHATECHILDREN

It will start out with people making good arguments, you know, playing swith soul, playing good improv, etc. Then one of two things will happen:

1. Somebody will mention John Frusciante. This will ignite a fury-infested argument, about how overrated Frusciante is. Soon, a RHCP fanboy will reply, saying how awesome he is, and how that guy can go f**k off. This useless, pointless bickering will continue, with ridiculous comparisons made along the way, before somebody finnaly writes a long essay similar to this one, finding a way to change the topic to Jimmy Page. The sequence then starts over again. Unless...

2. Some metalhead comes in and says that speed is everything, and puts down every guitarist said before him, and precedes to say either A. Dimebag Darrel, or B. Herman Li. This will again start off another argument, with an ending similar to my previous scenario.

Thats it. I just think anything to do with guitarist threads are pointless in posting in: You can make good points, sure, but there will always be some ignorant a-hole that calls you a jackass and makes a ridiculous argument that sends members in a blaze. So I avoid guitarist threads. Its just an endless circle, that never goes anywhere. I stopped posting in the best guitarsit thread because of it, hopefully some of you will realize how dumb this all is and stop too.

/rant.

the muffin!

the muffin!
Originally Posted by IHATECHILDREN

/rant.

^^I really like how you talk about how much you hate guitarist threads by posting
in one.
the best is Tommy Emmanuel
other than that, there is Josh Homme, as he has his own dimension of sound which is so cool. I have no idea how he gets it
the proud owner of:
Martin OMC-1E acoustic
ESP Ltd Viper 301 vintage sunburst
PEAVEY classic 50 212 combo amp
Quote by Megalomaniac16
I really like how you talk about how much you hate guitarist threads by posting in one.

Uh...how else would you expect him to voice his opinion? o.O
Page 1 of 2