I have basically changed my music style because the one I was doing wasn't taking me anywhere with my old band. I have a new female vocalist and have been working on some newer rock type stuff. None of that garbage like college garage rock bands. I am talking about bands like flyleaf, evanescense (if I spelled that right), Steve Vai (bad horsie, and for the love of god), Disturbed, Arch Enemy (more melodic parts not the high gain), Lacuna Coil, CKY. its basically for New Rock, Progressive (not high gain; Steve Vai, Yngwie, Joe Satch, Paul Gilbert), Melodic metal, and some death metal slow riffs.

I dont want a straight up metal amp that buzzes or hisses. I want something that can do at least mid-high gain but not be muddy. i dont want something like the Krank Krankenstein because that amp just killed me as far as tone. I hated it. Same with the Randall RM100 (sorry, it wasnt for me). What should I do? What kind of amp would fit all these and be loud enough to play over drums?

The budget is roughly about 300-500.

So tube? Hybrid? SS?
The Randall T2 is probably the best hybrid amp on the market but as you stated, its out of your price range. Tone wise, they sound very different from the RM100series.

You might want to look into a Crate Flexwave, Line 6 Flextone III, Used 5150 combo.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by peever
vox valvetronics, awesome amps for the price

yeah, can't really do much better than them.
spinelss
Quote by peever
vox valvetronics, awesome amps for the price

+1

the Vox amps if you get the 30 watt version or higher also have a wattage adjust knob so you can crank it without it being too loud and such, or you can put it at full and i'd say the AD30VT should be heard above drums, but the AD50VT will definitely do it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I have the VK 112. It is a great amp in your price range. I have had no issues with reliabilty (been rockin mine for a year) but make sure you get a good return policy as all entry level tube amps may have some problems. You sound like you are ready for a good tube amp. If you don't want the VK go used.
How loud are vox valvetronix amps? What is better in tone randall G3's or Vox Ad's?
Last edited by ravenrage07 at Jul 11, 2007,
Sorry for thread Jacking, but would some one post CKYs guitarists rig, I like his tone, usually not my slice of cake in music, but I love that band.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
TUBE!!!!!!

And get a traynor.Perfect for what your looking for

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
Quote by ravenrage07
How loud are vox valvetronix amps? What is better in tone randall G3's or Vox Ad's?

I can't really say how loud the valvetronix is, but the AD50VT will definitely work for small to medium sized venues gigging wise, and if it's not loud enough there's a connection for an external cab.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
i see but as I said before. Is the video i put the url up accurate to its actual sound? Or is it just something trying to make it look way better than it sounds?

Also since i am pretty much broke all the time i am thinking about just getting the 30w instead of the 50w. I basically use it for practice and possible jam sessions. I dont have a band and I dont really gig. But i do record sometimes. So would the 30w begood enough for practice and jam sessions to play over drums?

I mean i knwo the 50w is louder and bigger but does the 30w still have the same sound quality as the 50w? Or should i just save up for the 50w? I mean is the tone and sound the same just different volume?

I want an amp I wont have to upgrade for a few years. Maybe like 2 years. Remember I am upgrading from a Marshall MG15CD, a Fender Frontman 15, and a Crate GX15. So basically I need a new amp with a lot of volume. Around 200-300 dollars. I want the vox valvetronix really bad. I want to know also can it do some of those heavy Yngwie tones? Like in Adagio (clean sounds) to songs lyk Far Beyond the Sun?

I basically want a jack of all trades amp that is not muddy (well at least nowhere near as muddy as the MG and Frontman), and is good for recording and possible jam sessions. I doubt jam sessions will be anytime soon but i want to just make sure it has plenty of volume for it if I have a session and I want to make sure it will work with my steve vai bad horsie wah. So is it right for me?
Last edited by ravenrage07 at Jul 12, 2007,
^ Yeah the 30 will be enough for that, I have one and can jam with drums no problem. It'll do the tones you want if you EQ it right. Consider changing the speaker to a Celestion G10 Vintage though, it makes the amp really shine.

Look up the Valvetronix vs Cube thread in Guitar Gear and Accessories. I made a list of tips to get the best sounds there.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
If I was to upgrade the speaker shouldnt i just get the 50?

Also i have been watching alot of videos on youtube of people playing with mainly strats and strat copies and this thing just cant do hard rock at all it seems. i dont want that balls to the wall metal like slayer, but i want at most a metallica/megadeth distortion. Can this thing put that out?
Last edited by ravenrage07 at Jul 12, 2007,
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
My 30 watt valvetronix gets over the drummer no problem.

Don't get the valveking...worst tone I've ever heard out of a tube amp.

Its funny you say that, cause I have the Valveking 100 watt head, and I love the tone i get with it. I would suggest a valveking as well...
Custom Strat with:
Gibson Tune-O-Matic bridge
MightyMite Motherbuckers

BBE Boosta Grande Lead Boost
MXR NanoClone Chorus
Behringer Hellbabe Optical Wah
DigiTech Phaser
Peavy Valveking VK100 Head
Marshall AVT 412B cab
I want to get the vox because i dont have much money and i have a really crappy job. So would the Vox Valvetronix 30 be enough for small gigs or jam sessions? I mean does it give any good hard rock and thrash tones?
Valvetronix amps sound ok if that's what you want. I would suspect (haven't tried one) that it would not be any louder than a comparable wattage solid state amp. 30 watts tube is much louder.
Last edited by uldhppi at Jul 13, 2007,
Quote by uldhppi
Valvetronix amps sound ok if that's what you want. I would suspect (haven't tried one) that it would not be any louder than a comparable wattage solid state amp. 30 watts tube is much louder.

Then what is your suggestion for a good upgrade amp from a marshall mg-15cd. Something clear and not digital sounding. But not as pricey as a straight up tube. I mean I can do at max like 350 bucks

Basically what is the best hard rock/heavy metal amp out there for around 350 or less. I dont mean tube amps so dont flame saying "YOU CANT GET A TUBE FOR 350!" or whatever. I am looking just for an amp, not a high end tube. I dont like warm amps. I like just totally nasty heavy amps. I dont like the bluesy amps that dont have that hardcore distortion like the JCM's i've played. I want something with some real bite. Metal bite, 80's thrash, guns n' roses solos. Stuff like that. Not all bluesy.

On second thought. What is louder and and sounds better between a vox valvetronix AD30 or a Peavey transtube bandit 112?

b4 you post consider the gear I already have in my signature. The stuff I would keep like the steve vai wah and the metal master. I would get rid of the metal zone I have, and the marshall, and fender amps.
Last edited by ravenrage07 at Jul 14, 2007,
What about Transtube efx? Do they have good tone? And the name is suggesting to me that its a hybrid for some reason.
it has a tube based preamp and post amp type thing. I dont think they have actual tubes. Just the board is made to do tube like warmth in sound.

Is the Vox or Bandit 112 better?

To make it easier on me. What are the pros and cons of both. What features are better on one than the other. Like Volume, Tone quality, clarity, does it break up when it is at high volumes, what are the recording quality pros and cons, how do they compare to other amps in the price range, ect.
Last edited by ravenrage07 at Jul 14, 2007,