How good are the cleans on the old Peavey 5150s?
Last edited by Budd_Dwyer at Jul 11, 2007,
ive heard some good clips of cleans on youtube. they really arent as bad as most UG'ers make them out to be. search it on youtube
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
they arent great, worse than a dual recto but not as bad as everyone makes them out to be, theres not really a clean channel its a rythm channel you have to EQ for clean
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
It's not an amp you buy for it's cleans, but they're passable.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
According to UG, adding a bit of chorus to the cleans makes them sound a lot nicer.

Never had the chance to try personally though.. >.<
I understand that the New EVH amp (5150) will be a 3 channel built by Fender... and the rumor is that it has the shimmery chimey 3D cleans that you get from Fenders.... plus the power of the old 5150's.. but sounds better. I've not played it myself... its not the type of tones I go for, but if you want the 5150 gain plus nice cleans you should check it out...
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by brianthemayan
I understand that the New EVH amp (5150) will be a 3 channel built by Fender... and the rumor is that it has the shimmery chimey 3D cleans that you get from Fenders.... plus the power of the old 5150's.. but sounds better. I've not played it myself... its not the type of tones I go for, but if you want the 5150 gain plus nice cleans you should check it out...

I very much doubt it's that good. But ya, 5150 cleans are very passable, especially with a bit of reverb or chorus, but it's not really an amp you buy for cleans.
Quote by Dobzilla
According to UG, adding a bit of chorus to the cleans makes them sound a lot nicer.

Never had the chance to try personally though.. >.<

i do that with rectos, what you esstenially do is run a chorus with no depth or speed and it adds warmth, i picked it up from ademas guitarist
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
if you're talking about the head, have it modded for a warmer bias and it'll improve the cleans A LOT. 5150 combos on the other hand have pretty good cleans since they're biased warmer and have a built in reverb.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
^^ great amps, amazing tones and versitility, i think it would be a much better choice
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210