Recently Ive found that my right hand is actually quicker than my left (as in I can pick quicker than I can get to the strings)

Does anyone have any good excersizes to increase the speed of the left hand?
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
E--------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------
B---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------
G----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------
D-----------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------
A-----------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------
E----1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------------------------

then go down again, change order like 1-2-3-4 => 4-3-2-1=> 1-3-2-4=> ...

then change frets
You dont need to increase any speed, you need to get the two hands working togeather first and then increase speed later. A good way of doing this is to play notes in patterns of 4 or 3 with a metronome.

I.e play frets 1 2 3 4 on low e string then 1234 on A String then 1234 on D string ..etc up to the high e string. The when you get this far move up one fret and come back down the strings (1234 on high e, 1234 on b string, 1234 on g string all the way back to the low e string..............then move up one fret and repeat the whole thing again upto and including the 12 ftret.

You can the do this in 3 notes per string for a change ( watch your piking though!)

USE A METRONOME AND START SLOW, IF YOUR RIGHT HAND IS QUICK IT IS USELESS UNTILL YOU CAN GET BOTH HANDS WORKING AT THE SAME SPEED, THIS MAY MEAN YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN FIRST TO GET FASTER LATER. INCREASE METRONOME SPEED BY A FEW BEATS WHEN YOU FEEL YOU ARE GETTING QUICKER.

hope this helps.

p.s this is very common amongst nearly all guitar players.
When You Get Bored Of The Above Make Up Your Own Patterns That Include String Skipping
I think ill invest in a metronome this weekend then. I think thats where Im going wrong. I tend to loose speed while playing which obviously sounds awful. Thanks for the excersizes people
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Don't forget to practice descending patterns like 4321 as much as the ascending ones - I still have trouble playing 4321 as fast as 1234.

Also, don't stick to those patterns, I sometimes use patterns like:

------------
------------
-976------
------976-
------------
------------

repeatedly, over and over, or:

-----------------------------------------------975-------
------------------------------------975------------975-
------------------------975-------------975------------
-------------975------------975------------------------
-975-------------975-----------------------------------
-------975-----------------------------------------------

because I find switching from one string to another is something that slows me down.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Yeah I see what you mean essentially I just need to be practising the finger movements till it becomes muscle memory then speed it up from there.

I feel thats what I have done with my right hand with economy picking it just comes naturally now.

E||--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------3-4-5-6-||
B||--------------------------------------------------------------------3-4-5-6---------3-4-5-6---------||
G||------------------------------------------3-4-5-6---------3-4-5-6-----------3-4-5-6-----------------||
D||------------------3-4-5-6---------3-4-5-6---------3-4-5-6-------------------------------------------||
A||----------3-4-5-6---------3-4-5-6-------------------------------------------------------------------||
E||--3-4-5-6-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||

E||--6-5-4-3-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
B||----------6-5-4-3---------6-5-4-3-------------------------------------------------------------------||
G||------------------6-5-4-3---------6-5-4-3---------6-5-4-3-------------------------------------------||
D||------------------------------------------6-5-4-3---------6-5-4-3-----------6-5-4-3-----------------||
A||--------------------------------------------------------------------6-5-4-3---------6-5-4-3---------||
E||--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------6-5-4-3-||

Seems to work quite well for me
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Last edited by Deviant1853 at Jul 11, 2007,
The best exercise I've found for getting a lot of speed and control over your left hand goes as follows:

*Lay all four fingers on the high E from the 5th fret upwards (pointer on the 5th, middle on the 6th, etc).
*Keeping all the other fingers down, hammer on with your pointer to the 5th string on the 5th fret. Start by doing this 8 times spread evenly. DO NOT lift your other fingers.
*Working on a smooth change, switch to your middle finger hammering on the 5th string, 6th fret. Repeat this 8 times spread evenly, and don't lift the other fingers.

Keep doing this for your other fingers, then working your way back down. Once you can do it smoothly (keeping your other fingers down, quick changes and even hammer-ons), go down to only repeating each hammer on 4 times. Next, down to 2 then 1.
Once you can do this, try it while you're concentrating on something else. Try singing a simple song and doing it, or be watching TV. It really helps with individual finger control, finger strength and building up muscle memory (meaning you have to think less about what you're playing).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Cool, I guess you can try that without a guitar as well.
I'll try it on my steering wheel as a I drive home tonight...
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha