I play a lot of styles of music: alt. rock, blues, classic rock, a little metal. I'm looking for an amp that will give me great cleans, and will be good for playing RHCP type stuff, but will be versatile too. I don't think I want a modeling amp, but I'm open to either a tube or solid state combo. Suggestions?
Look for a Traynor Blue, I hear those are great tube amps for the price. I think they run about $500-600 on ebay.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by omarrodrigez
Look for a Traynor Blue, I hear those are great tube amps for the price. I think they run about $500-600 on ebay.

this man speaks the truth. Traynor Blues are one of the most versatile amps around. It has good cleans and good overdrive Now, the cleans and overdrive arent AMAZING, its not like your buying a Fender and a Marshall but id always recommend buying the Traynor blue if you want versatility
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

well...i have no experience with the blue, but I'd suggest a Vox AD or a used Fender Hot Rod or Deluxe and a pedal to take you to metal territory....
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
At your price range the Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112 combo is the best amp. $429. USD.
I would not recommend this amp if you had said you played a lot of metal, although I personally think it could probably do metal with the right pedal.
the best amp??

well that's for the TS to decide..and if he wants to pay extra to get it fixed and so on...

I'm not a valveking fan...
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Does the amp have to be new, or just new to you? Are you planning to gig/jam with it?

New, the Crate V32 1x12 is just under budget, and a nice little amp.

Used, you could find a variety of amps -including the Traynor YCV 50- like the Peavey Classic 30/50, Fender Blues/Hot Rod, which would be great and save you a couple bucks in the process.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well, I like that Crate a lot better than the VK, and 30W is plenty for gigs.

I buy all my stuff used, and strongly recommend it. I landed a Vox AC30CC for under $500. There's deals to be had out there. A quality amp will last for decades (so will many of questionable quality, like the old Silvertones), so there's no reason to be afraid of used gear.

But new, you could do a lot worse than that V32.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Where do you go to buy used stuff? And the V32 looks pretty nice, I'll try it out at GC tonight.
^ Craig's List, eBay, and I got that Vox in a pawn shop.

edit: see what GC has used. I've seen some good deals in mine like a Traynor YCV 40 for $400, or a Peavey Classic 30 for $375.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'm looking at the current GC clearance and I can get a Peavey Classic 30 for $460. It's "barely used" and comes with full warranty. Would that be a significant upgrade over the V32? Sorry for the stupid questions, I haven't spent enough time researching amps on my own.
^ That's probably a good deal. You can get a used Classic 30 for cheaper privately, but if a warranty is important to you, that would be a very good way to go. The biggest difference over the V32 is that the Peavey's a two channel amp.

Don't hesitate, BTW. I got that e-mail, too, and once a scratch and dent item goes, it's gone.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.