Page 1 of 93
To join the cult just add "Member of the Laney Cult" to your signature, no need to PM me as i'm not keeping any records, but it would be nice to leave a message in the thread and contribute abit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laney FAQ:
> http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/laneycult/forum/5041/ <
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laney Pr0nz:
> http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/laneycult/forum/12597/ <
Reviews: (Extra special thankyou to the people who wrote them. )
Laney VC50 review by Lauke_101 (Discontinued)
For all the features I’ll refer to the Laney site, just look up the VH100R there, it has the same features. Only difference is the VC50 is a 50 watt 2x12 combo amp. This amp also has a bigger brother (or sister, whatever you like) in the VC100 which is a 100 watts (what a surprise) 2x12 combo. Mine is loaded with HH Premier Vintage 60 speakers, no name ECC83 pre amp tubes and Sovtek 6L6 power tubes. I bought this amp second hand and I guess it’s from 1995 when I look at the date on the output transformer.
This amp is very versatile, 2 channels and 2 gain modes per channel will probably give you all the tones you want. You can get Hendrix and Frusciante like tone, some darker jazzy tones, shimmery or warm cleans with lots of headroom, AC/DC style crunch, hard rock tones, droning stoner, 80s trash metal and modern metal and there’s probably even more in it. Also this amp can be superloud so it’s definitely gig worthy, but you can get still use it in your bedroom because it doesn’t turn muddy on low volumes like a Marshall would. I do find that I get some ‘icepick’ sometimes but I have rather bright power tubes in it and slightly harsh speakers (although they’re not that bad). I do feel I can get more out of this amp by replacing the speakers and experimenting with some different tubes. Overall I love this amp, it’s my first tube amp, it’s very versatile, I got it quite cheap, it looks very good and most of all sounds absolutely amazing. And if you’re very keen on how you look I can recommend it as well because of its mirroring faceplate

Laney VC50 review by timi_hendrix
2x12 Valve Combo, 1996, bought used for ?275.

Features
This is a 50 watt all-valve 2x12 amp. 2 channels, each channel has switchable gain and reverb. Seperate EQ for each channel, bright switch on clean, master resonance switch and presence dial. Runs off 6 12AX7 preamp valves and two power amp valves. The amp has a bias switch so you can use 6l6S or EL34s.

At the moment it has Sovtek preamp valves (not sure what type) and a pair of Sovtek 5881s. They're about 3 years old, but I'm getting some new ones in a couple of weeks so I'll update this thread when I get them

Quality
Well, first off this thing is heavy. It takes two people to carry it, and I managed to put my back out moving it across my room. It's very sturdily built, with an open back construction. It's in very good condition considering the age of it. The two handles are a godsend, because like I said it takes two of you to carry it. They're very well situated compared to some amps. The footswitch still works and all of the knobs etc are fine, no crackling whatsoever.

Sound
Channel A (Clean): Wow. This amp has a really nice clean tone - very fendery. The bright switch is pretty much redundant as the amp is voiced so brightly already. The sound is very warm and sparkly, and sounds nice with a good bit of reverb. The quality of the amp's reverb isn't brilliant, but is perfectly usable. Without the drive engaged, this channel stays clean up to really high volumes. I'd say it starts to break up around 7-8 on the volume, which is louder than I'll ever need it to go.

UPDATE: With the new JJ valves, the clean sound is fatter and breaks up a lot earlier. My bridge pickup (which would be considered hot) pushes it into breakup when the volume's on 3. The lower output neck pickup pushes the amp into breakup at about 4.

The drive on this channel isn't as good as the clean - you have to take some time to find a nice balance between the gain and volume controls to get a nice breakup sound. I'd put some of this down to the valves - basically, they're ****. They sound really ratty for mid-gain kinda stuff, and I'm hoping that when I change them this tone will improve a bit. I can get decent blues tones out of this, but I'd say it needs an OD to shine. Again, I'll update this section when I've got new valves and my OD pedal in a couple of weeks.

UPDATE: The new valves gave this sound a lot more beef and the breakup is a lot less ratty. The breakup comes on earlier too, so all in all a big improvement.

Channel B (Dirty):
Okay, brutally honest: Without the drive engaged, this channel sucks. Ratty, weak distortion. But when you kick in the extra drive and find a nice balance between the gain and drive controls, it sounds awesome.

It has loads of gain, but it tends to get noisy with such levels and I prefer the sound when it's backed off a bit. My favourite sound is with the gain at 4 and the drive at 7. Gives a very powerful, crunchy sound. High gain, but still very clear.

The EQ is central to getting a good sound from this channel - I set the bass at a bit under 5, treble at 3 and mids at 6.5-7. This helps give that powerful, thick tone and avoids the dreaded ice-pick sound you get when you put the treble up too high. You have to be sparing with the reverb, as with most dirty channels, as it can muddy up the tone if you're not careful.

This channel sounds a bit weak and trebly at lower volumes (the little master volume trick helps this) - but once you get it up past two and a half or so it sounds awesome. I play with it at about 3, which is enough to make the floor shake.

SUPER BONUS HINT: I like to combine this channel with my Epi Valve Jr cranked up to get a nice mix of tones. Sounds awesome.

I've used the amp for band practice, and it cuts through ten times better than my old amp. Sits in the mix really nicely, and sounds awesome.

UPDATE: The new valves again improved things a lot. The sound's bassier and fuller, which gives it a fatter sound and reduces the ice-pick enormously. I've had to do some re-EQing due to the tonal difference, so my treble and presence is a little higher. The treble's gone up to 4 or 5 and the presence to 3 or just under that. My mids have gone up to 7 and the bass is the same as before.

Ease of Use
This is where the amp falls a bit short. I'm sure that if I'd had an instruction manual I would have found it easier to get to grips with, but all the same it was quite confusing.

For one thing, they don't give any indication as to what position is "on" or "off" for the bright and resonance switches. So I had to use my ears for that. Easy with the bright switch, the sharp pain I felt in my ears guided me. The resonance switch was more tricky - I'm assuming it's on when the sound is fatter, because it's supposed to tighten up the bass or something.

Other than that, the EQ and gain sections are relatively simple.

The footswitch however has been a bit of a nightmare. It depends on a very finicky setup of the switches of the amp for it to work, which took me a long time to figure out. Again, I've asked around and think that this might be caused by one of the valves. Either way, it's a bit annoying but I can live with it.

UPDATE: New valves didn't help, but I'm used to the footswitch now.

Laney VC30 Review by ME
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/laney/vc30-112/index.html
(Yes I effed up the average, STHU. )
Soundclips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7BXbbckje0

More reviews will be appreciated .
Last edited by beckyjc at Dec 10, 2007,
Bad idea. Everyone hates Laney.

I want one.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
OH YES! A Laney thread, how thoughtful. I love my VC30 to bits, it's THE amp for me (well, for now). What about the Laney club you were gonna start, Becky?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I've got a VC15, it kicks ass .
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
YAY for first american poster! laneys seem cool from what I've heard / played. but I probably will never get one.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Everyone wants a bit of the Laney.

Funny, i've never actually played a laney outside of the VC/LC, something else to do while raiding guitar shops this month then...

Just make something profesional sounding up for your signature and you shall be one of us. =P
VC30 112 Woooooo! Laney POWA

So what speakers or cabs have you all got if not stock?
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
Quote by PieceOfMind666
YAY for first american poster! laneys seem cool from what I've heard / played. but I probably will never get one.

I'm american, unless they moved kansas.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
my friend has an old lh tube head. its like the lc sereis but with much better cleans. Crtsyal clean. Gain channel is awesome. Voiced like diluted pushed GH.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
They're a bit pricey over in the US because of import costs. But you get better deals on fenders and peaveys etc. so make do. Bout time we got something.

They're stock, i'm considering putting an eminence speaker in once I get the money, not sure which.
Eminence speakers are amazing! I have a Black Powder in my Peavey () and it sounds amazing. The Governor is a good one.

EDIT: They discontinued the Black Powder, or else I'd recommend it.

And I keep typing Black Power on accident.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
I'm american, unless they moved kansas.

fiddlebeans
Damn your long "location". If it was shorter, I would have read it. Oh well. I guess I'll just fire up the fail-boat.
On topic, at my GC there's a really old used Laney head going for only like 400 (USD). It's really beat up and I don't know enough about laney to know which head it is, but I played it and it sounds mucho sexy!!
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
^That's okay, I still love you.

And I just came back from FOTB too! 18 hour ban from Rankles, decided to have a bit of fun with me.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
I was thinking of the governer, since it's aimed at the british voiced amps. But I was also looking into the wizard etc. Hmm, i'll keep an eye out then.

VC50? Guess your buying used then, it has about 500 more knobs than the 30 and the 15, is it any different in voicing etc. more channels whatnot?
Ah yeah, I always wanted to know the difference between the 50's and the 30's and 15's. Could I join the Cult, Becky?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by forsaknazrael
Liar. You militant muslim, you.

I wish Laneys were more affordable here...

Militant muslim?

<_<

>_>
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by beckyjc
I was thinking of the governer, since it's aimed at the british voiced amps. But I was also looking into the wizard etc. Hmm, i'll keep an eye out then.

VC50? Guess your buying used then, it has about 500 more knobs than the 30 and the 15, is it any different in voicing etc. more channels whatnot?

I assume thats directed at me.

The VC50 is an odd one. It's a discontinued model from the 90s. It's the VH100R in a 2x12 combo, which is great for me because I can't afford the halfstack or justify having a 100 watt valve amp.

My guess behind the naming of the model is that at the time it stood for VH Combo, but the other VC series stands for Vintage Combo or something.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I am the most militant muslim white guy ever!

Not really.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by timi_hendrix
I assume thats directed at me.

The VC50 is an odd one. It's a discontinued model from the 90s. It's the VH100R in a 2x12 combo, which is great for me because I can't afford the halfstack or justify having a 100 watt valve amp.

My guess behind the naming of the model is that at the time it stood for VH Combo, but the other VC series stands for Vintage Combo or something.

What about the naming of the LC?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
^Laney Combo maybe?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Good thinking, but a Laney Laney Combo?

This thread gets 5 stars by the way.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
The Let'sConfuseThemByCallingItTheLC Combo?
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
^That's okay, I still love you.

And I just came back from FOTB too! 18 hour ban from Rankles, decided to have a bit of fun with me.

Rankles, you silly little bean-bag of anal flem! (I am now awaiting my 18 hour ban!!! ) i love mods..

Anyways, I'm on the laney website an I can't find anything that looks like the head I saw at GC. do you think it's discontinued? even though it's beat up, do you think it's valuable? it still sounded fine, maybe needed new tubes, but it was only beat up and scratched on the outside.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
Last edited by PieceOfMind666 at Jul 11, 2007,
It's most likely discontinued, but I havent really been alive long enough to know what laney have been up to lthese last 40 years. Maybe it's the same situation as the VC50.

You should go back and check it out. :P Might be a good deal.
Quote by tubab0y
The Let'sConfuseThemByCallingItTheLC Combo?

Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Hmm, anyone got any ideas on a OD/Booster pedal for the laney, was set on a tubescreamer, but it's allready quite a middy amp and the tubescreamer is pretty much famed for the mid hump. Not sure how it would take it.
Well a bad monkey works well for me it's got a low and high knob which helps with the whole mid-hump thing.

If you wanted to be spending more than that, then I have no idea .
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
OCD?

Ok anyway im set on getting a new amp still cant decide between VC-30, peavy XXX or marshall DSL401

Im stuck big time. Im swiming towards laney and marshal. More so laney, i hope to be a proud owned in the future and join this club!
Yeah I was also looking into the Bad Monkey, I suppose if It didnt work for me it would only be £30 instead of splashing out on a TS. Gets killer reviews anyway.
Dont really have the budget for an OCD. =( I'll try save a bit of money up for when I next go into town.

Never played the DSL, so cant tell you much, but the reviews are all pretty mixed.
Im set on the VC just aslong as it can do goddamed metal LOL

Although im immagining its nice warm tone would sound awsome with the chug of my metal muff
boo! i have an LX65R

its good but does anyone else have trouble running it with external distortion pedals? it gets nasty for me but i spose its cos its solid state.
Quote by Varkunus
Im set on the VC just aslong as it can do goddamed metal LOL

Although im immagining its nice warm tone would sound awsome with the chug of my metal muff

It does sound pretty chuggy with the amp gain with a DS-2 ontop.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
^ well i have a digitech hot head and it gives a nasty crrunch noise when distorted. i like it high you see.

if you look on www.myspace.com/freedomofexpressionband (i think) youll find some recosrings of it. it just goes all muddy and crunchy and i dont know what to do!

EDIT actually thats a bit over exaggerated but i can hear it and i dont like it
Last edited by tim_mop at Jul 11, 2007,