this guy wrote an artical in guitar world on how to mix passive with active and make it sound good but i dont remember how... you have to do it a certain way
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
You can have an EMG 81/85 combo and then stick an S or SA in the middle, which'll remove any problems of mixing active and passive.
EMGs tend to sound muddy and fuzzy in basswood. You'd be far better off getting a Dimarzio Evo for the bridge and something like an Air Norton for the neck.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
EMGs tend to sound muddy and fuzzy in basswood. You'd be far better off getting a Dimarzio Evo for the bridge and something like an Air Norton for the neck.

+1

Dimarzio's sound excellent in lighter density woods. They really pick up on the tonal characteristics of the woods.

Breed, Joes, or Freds are excellen pickup choices as well. I'd recommend a Dropsonic if you do a lot of downtuning or have an amp that feels like it could use a boost of power.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Crunchmeister

That'd be a good recommendation if someone were to be playing a lot of Metallica, then? (not so much their early, sound, though)

My V8/7's just seem to lack the oomph. They still have a certain...I don't know...there's just something about them that doesn't quite sound right. For one, single strings don't seem to have that much distortion to them, and it sounds a tiny bit like a mosquito attack in the bridge position.

Would and Evo in the bridge deffinitely sort that out?

What about a good warm single coil for middle position. I've had the Blue Velvet (I think...) mentioned. Any good?
Im thinking of getting an Air Norton for my Neck P/U in my Basswood RG

And a Evo 2 bridge. The Dimarzio Chopper in the middle is apparently good for cleans.
Personally I don't like the tone of EMGs on basswood. It sounds stale and weak. EMGs are generally gear towards bodies with dense woods such as maho.

Well..maho or bubinga really..are the only choices. If you fit it into alder then it will be too trebley.
Quote by Edamr
That'd be a good recommendation if someone were to be playing a lot of Metallica, then? (not so much their early, sound, though)

I would say it is, yes, I can get a damn good metallica sound out of my amp and my S470's still got the stock pups in it, pups make possibly the kleast difference to the tone, and should always be a final consideration in getting the sound you hear in your head.

TS: get a good amp first, good pups will make minimal difference through a bad amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Make the LEAST different? You sure? Why does a Squier sound so much different to a American Strat through the same amp? Same body (Alder, or Ash) but different p/u - different tone.

My current setup - RG1570 w/ stock pickups, MetalZone Pedal (don't use it that much, not terribly impressed), Spider II Amp. How much difference would a set of DiMarzio's make?