I know there are probably loads of threads on this but my search bar is messed up, so bear with me.

Can anyone give me some tips on writing a bassline that isn't the same as the guitar line?

I always seem to have exactly the same as the guitar or something very similar.

Some tips on using a 5 string bass would be appreciated too.

Cheers.
I'm so metal I work at Dimmu Burger
Well, the first tip I'll give you is to expect to lose a lot of gigs in bands, because most bands don't want a skilled bassist - they want some clunker to thump quarter notes and play roots behind the guitarist. I agree - that's crap, but most people think that way, and I say this from experience as a bassist who's playing outside the guitarist. Don't get discouraged.

Now, onto musicianship tips for doin it -

-Have a good understanding of scales, or if you're not into theory, bust your *ss to get to know the patterns as far as which notes go with which notes. Octaves are a good place to start. I do'nt know squat about scales, but can counter-point almost any note a guitarist can play - so don't let lack of theory or lack of WANTING theory become a hinderance - and don't let any clown tell you it can't be done without theory either.

-Play everything you ever do with that bass alone with a metronome, click track, or drum pattern - if you're gonna play the neck outside what the guitarist is doing, you had better be able to hold your stuff down and almost never slip off timing - it'll sound jumbled and horrible.

-Listen WELL to what the band is doing and decide what course is best for the song, not what's best to showcase your flashiest sh*t all the time. Just cause you don't root note what the guitarist is doing doesn't mean you're a virtuoso and have to play five thousand notes.

-Know your guitarist's style well and work around THAT. The drummer will be your pulse, but when you play solo bass lines in the middle of a song, being aware of what your guitarist/vocalist are doing is just as important - grow a third ear .

Don't let this keep you from playin your way - it's gonna be harder work for you, but if this is what you wanna shoot for, there's no shortcut. Woodshed, my friend, and bust your *ss. Cheers.
I agree ^ excellent post, but can you explain a bit more? What do you mean which notes go with which notes? Like the 4ths 5ths 7ths octaves etc etc etc?
I'm so metal I work at Dimmu Burger
Quote by gothicneo
I agree ^ excellent post, but can you explain a bit more? What do you mean which notes go with which notes? Like the 4ths 5ths 7ths octaves etc etc etc?

Yeah - which notes can be played with the guitarist's root note OTHER than the root note. You don't wanna play a note that's a half step off an octave or too high for the chord the guitarist is playin.