I know nothing about bass, i play guitar, and since my brother isn't that experienced in bass he knows nothing either. I play a Fender Blues Deluxe which is 40 watts of tube power and he has a cheap little peavey practice amp that cannot stand a chance to my amp even on 1. He needs something under $300 (give or take a few) and that can get loud enough so he can be heard when we jam together. His main influence is Paul McCartney.

EDIT: and going used isnt a problem
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Well with 40 watts tube its gonna take quite a lot of power if you turn it up......at all.

http://www.music123.com/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-15-180-Bass-Combo-Amp-485037-i1319193.Music123

This is in my opinion your best bet....but it's blemished....and still a little over 300....so maybe if you could find one used.....hmmmm look around for places with used ashdown amps cuz IMO they are of good quality and sound and have a lot of volume for the prices.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
trying to match the sheer power of a single 12" speaker, driven by 40 watts of tube amp, is tough.

for new, look into the Crate BT100 combo, the Fender Rumble 100, 1X15, or the GK Brat Pack 1/2 Stack. for used, consider Ampeg, Ashdown, Fender, GK, Hartke, and SWR. it takes some research, to get a fair deal. good luck!
i only turn my amp up to 3 at the most when I play with my bro so....
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Jul 13, 2007,
fender rumble 100 or Ashdown Five Fifteen