i'm purchasing my first electric guitar so have been spending a lot of time in stores playing around. been focusing mostly on epiphone les pauls and fender strats, but i cant really get the tone to change much when playing with the knobs. as far as i can tell, the knobs (for either guitars) just mutes different note ranges (higher strings sound duller as opposed to lower ones or vice versa) does the amp have a lot to do with changing tones? i admit ive been focusing more on the guitars, but i always play different guitars with the same amp.

the following link contains video reviews of 2 guitars

the guy in the review plays it normally starting around 2:10. he mentions adding distortion at around 3:15. what the heck did he do to change the sound of the guitar so drastically with distortion? at first it has like a smooth jazzy tone, then more of a rock tone.

gibson les paul

the difference is a little less pronounced here
jazzy tone starting @ 1:28, more distortion 2:38 (for a more wailing sound)

fender strat

thx
Last edited by Axis of Weasel at Jul 11, 2007,
it has nothing to do with the knobs on the guitar. distortion comes from an amp, or a foot pedal.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
um well ill skip the second question because it ahs beena nswered, as for the tone nobs not doing anything. your ears arent trained for it really. noticing a distinct change in tone is something u have to get used to. ive been playing for 6 months and i am just now able to tell the difference in sound when im playing with tone full on or full off. also, standard les pauls and strats dont have that responsive of tone nobs i dont think (i might be rong)
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i don't think its that great of a tone...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well on a strat the first knob controls volume/output, the second knob cuts treble on the neck pickup and the third knob cuts treble on the middle pickup.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
they're both all on like in the video.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
He probably just rolled off the volume some... gives a cleaner tone. Unless somebody just turn up the gain or whatever on the amp he was using.