I am aware that an acoustic electric can affect the sound of the guitar itself. how much different does it sound compared to a plain old acoustic??
It's really varied between brands and models. If you think about it, there's a big hole cut into the side of the guitar for the preamp. This could rob some volume or resonance of the wood, but I have never paid it any mind. I always say to get what sounds better to you and if you want to go A/E later, either you have the means or you buy a $40-150 acoustic pickup.
practice > pedals ...Period
I like the A/E option because you can run it through effects.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Miggy01
I like the A/E option because you can run it through effects.

+1 I love my guitar plugged. So many ways to change the sound.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Er i dont see why they should sound different. Unless more space inside is taken up by electronics so theyr quieter. I have a takamine A/E and its sweet. Its actually very loud compared to other acoustics, and the only difference to others is that it sounds much better than any other one ive heard! My frends at school who play guitar all reli want a go if i hav it in skool hehe. I would go 4 an E/A cos then u can plug it in, ur mor versatile...its all obvious. However dont go for a cheaper one as the quality would not be very good. My takamine as about £800. sounds a lot but its not much different to £1500 guitar. Its very good value for money and defo will last.
either you have the means or you buy a $40-150 acoustic pickup

What do they look like? Then you plug it into an amp or something??
Quote by Parx
Er i dont see why they should sound different. Unless more space inside is taken up by electronics so theyr quieter.

Well, if you're comparing an acoustic and an a/e at the same price then the acoustic will generally sound better. This is becuase some of the price will obviosuly account for the electronics.

If you're on a tight budget, get a regular acoustic. You can always put a pickup in later. My yamaha sounds better through a mic than the a/es I have played at a similar price.
Quote by lawinnn
What do they look like? Then you plug it into an amp or something??

Acoustic pickups vary.

You can get soundhole pickups which you slot into your soundhole and they have a little cable running out of them which you then plug into your amp or PA system.
They look something like this.
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/4/0/246040.jpg

then you can get pickups they go in the inside of your guitar, and then usually through an preamp and EQ which is a little box thingy that is on the side of your guitar, so that when your playing and you look down at the side of the guitar, its easy to access. You have some control over your sound through and amp or PA like this. then usually this runs to an output jack in the side of your guitar which should be a bit below where your strap lock is at the end of the guitar
You can buy a full body A/E guitar, it will sound the same. The cutout models loose some of the projected sound, but not enough to make a huge impact.
Originally posted by turinbrakes
actually YOU SUCK

"I once read a poem, held my breath
But that moment's gone
First time I felt life, somewhat hurts
Need an option and some hope "

Anders Fridén
It probably affects the sound to some degree but most of the sound is produced by the top of the guitar so I think the effect would be fairly minimal.
in my opinion, the loss of sound quality from cutaways and large preamps is extremely, extremely dependent upon the particular guitar. it's not really true that a cutaway and a preamp make a guitar quieter, thinner, or diminish any aspect of tone at all. it is most certainly true that a cutaway and/or a preamp CAN make a guitar quieter, thinner, or diminish any aspect of tone. it depends largely on the overall quality of the guitar. if you take a $200 acoustic guitar and slap a pickup and a cutaway on it and sell it for $279 or whatever, chances are excellent that the cutaway and pickup are going to make it sound worse. you see, you have to take into account that you were starting with a cheap guitar anyway, and at that price level a manufacturer can't afford to make the different accommodations in construction to preserve the guitars tone. on the other hand, if you are looking at a $5000 custom job, you can get some crazy shapes, cutaways, preamp systems, etc. going on without sacrificing any tone at all. this guitar by breedlove is an excellent example:

i've played several of breedloves custom shop guitars that utilized this body design and they sound phenomenal. so it's obviously not really the cutaway that's robbing the sound of a cheaper acoustic-electric, it's the fact that it's just a cheaper acoustic-electric. that being said, i do think there is often a noticeable loss of tone quality in cheaper acoustic guitars when you add a preamp system and a pickup. so you really need to play before you buy!