I bought a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 Combo a couple of days ago and have spent the last few hours getting familiar with it.

Anyone else here have this amp (or the other Express 5:50's)? If so, any tone settings you've found?
Kramer: 85 Baretta, 84 Pacer Imperial, 85 Pacer Imperial
Gibson 68 LP Custom Shop
Fender 69 Strat
Mesa Roadster 2x12
THD Hotplate
Digitech WH-1
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop 535QC
MXR: Distortion III, EVH Phase 90, EVH Flanger, 10 Band EQ, DC Brick
Quote by monty_williams
I bought a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 Combo a couple of days ago and have spent the last few hours getting familiar with it.

Anyone else here have this amp (or the other Express 5:50's)? If so, any tone settings you've found?

I have an F-100, which was replaced by the express.

They are very similar.

There is pretty much no bad adjustment for the clean channels on a Mesa Boogie, I can always get a great clear and clean tone out of one.

Right off the bat you probably wanted to scoop the mids on the dirty channel but I find the best tones with the bass cut pretty low, treble boosted way up, and mids in about the middle.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I just saw an advert for this amp in my guitar mag. How does it compare in tone to other mesas?
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Ackj
I just saw an advert for this amp in my guitar mag. How does it compare in tone to other mesas?

I just saw an ad for it in guitar world... weird.

Anyways, I'm kind of interested in this amp. What tubes does it have?
Proud owner of a Marshall JCM 800 2204 MK II

Colonel of the Megadeth Military

PM BlackicN to join/get ranking
Quote by JMan2423
I just saw an ad for it in guitar world... weird.

Anyways, I'm kind of interested in this amp. What tubes does it have?

6L6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^ 6L6's eh? Hmm, how the 5 watts setting? Can you get that overdriven sound at bedroom volumes?
Proud owner of a Marshall JCM 800 2204 MK II

Colonel of the Megadeth Military

PM BlackicN to join/get ranking
Quote by JMan2423
^ 6L6's eh? Hmm, how the 5 watts setting? Can you get that overdriven sound at bedroom volumes?

I haven't played an Express, just reasearched it a little and I own an F-100 which is basically the same amp but without the Class A setting.

6L6's are known to be the best tube for clean, and they have their own character for overdriven tone. You should be able to get a good tone at bedroom volumes. In fact, I get the most searing tone with the master knob extremely low, but I get a gutsy dead baby roar when I have my master volume cranked.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I have played this amp extensively, and am saving up for it. If you prefer El's, you can get the 5:25. But, I want the 5:50, for the 6l6's. I like it, and let me tell you great choice. I played it in a store with no other people in it, so the 5 watts setting did seem really loud. I guess it wasn't too bad. When I had it at 50 watts, I tried to turn it up a little bit and my ears hurt. Use the gain knob on the cleans sort of like a judge between warmth and sparkle in your cleans.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by JMan2423

Yes, you can get very overdriven tones out of it at the 5 watt setting at at low volumes. I often play down in the basement after everyone else has gone to bed so I have to play with the Master Volume around 7-8 o'clock on the dial and it will still deliver a nice overdriven tone.
Gibson 68 LP Custom Shop
Fender 69 Strat
Mesa Roadster 2x12
THD Hotplate
Digitech WH-1
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop 535QC
Hi Monty,

Congrats on your 5:50! I've been over the moon with the 5:25 I bought a couple of days ago.

I find the contour control to be really useful for dialing in tone. I've been experimenting with scooping the mids in the pre-amp vs. keeping the mids and using the contour control for the mid-scoop.

I usually use the 5-watt class A setting, but the clean channel on the full power setting has a slightly different voice than than on the 5-watt channel (at least with my EL-84s).

I have found the manual really helpful for understanding how the eq & other controls interact with each other (e.g. turning down the bass as the gain increases, etc.).

enjoy!
Have you experimented with your effects yet? How do they sound on the Express?

I'm considering buying the MXR flanger, so I'd be interested to know how you make out with it on your new amp.
Steve,

The Contour control is something I'm still trying to get familiar with. I've basically just been going throught the channels and modes and trying various gain and tone settings while playing some familiar riffs. I haven't even tried it on the 50 watt setting yet. I played it at 5 watts in the store and have never switched it. Even at 5 watts I can't crank it more than about 8-9 o'clock on the MV knob.

I've found some personal settings I like but I haven't found the right tone yet for some bands/songs I like to play. I've played with the effects pedals a little while trying to find a tone that matches Van Halen. I haven't find it yet. Mostly I've just been just playing straight though the amp.

The Express seems to take to the pedals very well though. The effects come through clearly, even with high gain from the amp. I have my effects looped through the Express's FX loop. For the brief amount fo time I've played aroud with the MXR Flanger, it seems pretty versatile and easy to use.
Gibson 68 LP Custom Shop
Fender 69 Strat
Mesa Roadster 2x12
THD Hotplate
Digitech WH-1
Ibanez TS808
Dunlop 535QC
Yeah, the 5-watt setting is more than loud enough for home practice for me, too. It sounds great at volumes that won't annoy the wife, but I can hardly wait for the opportunity to crank it!

BTW, I popped it into the 25-watt setting once on the clean channel, and realized that it is best to put the amp into standby mode before flipping the switch (that way you can avoid that loud "pop" sound). I'm a tube amp noob, so there will likely be other little "lessons" as I get more experience.

At the moment, I don't really sweat trying to nail the tones of other guitarists perfectly -- I'm happy getting pretty close as long as it sounds good. The versatility from the four gain structures allow me to get pretty close to many styles of guitar without having to do a lot of tweaking. I'm also interested in learning more about settings other players use to mimic a given guitarist's tone. Will post again when I have more to add
So I just bought a Mesa boogie express 5:50 1x12 but I think there might be a problem. On certain notes (if im bending a string) I can hear a pop that disconnects the sound and sometimes continues for 2-3 more times. If I lower the volume the popping doesn't happen. I think it might have something to do with the way I set it up but I'm not sure. Can anyone shed some light on this? Before someone asks I've been able to reproduce this on 2 guitars and on 2 different channels. (Crunch and Blues)
Why'd you bump an almost year old thread?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why'd you bump an almost year old thread?

came up on search, why not
Quote by xifr
Bumping: Do not bump your threads. This means don't post in your own thread in order to bump it to the top of the forum list. Also, don't bump dead threads from a year ago.

Just make a new thread, it makes things easier
hey guys, I'm intrested in buying used Mesa Boogie F-100 2x12 combo or Mesa Express 5:50 2x12 combo. I prefer F-100 because it has more gain. The only problem is that I need an amp for band and home practice and I'm afraid it would be simply too loud. The 5:50 can be switched to 5W which is a good option for me. What do think? Theyre pretty much the same price. Also what is the weight of the amps. Is it the same? I live on fifth floor without an elevator so the weight is kind of important