This is extremely out of place but there are some intelligent people on here and the questions thread in the Songwriting forum is closed, so I'll try here.

My progressive death metal band is in the whole writing process and we want to compose a concept album. There is one main issue. No ideas. At all. Any ideas or suggestions would be grandly appreciated.

We are very much like Opeth if that helps. (And I'm not ashamed to admit it! Suprisingly...)

Thank you.
your using your fender frontman 25r as a head?
Quote by ledhendrix711
do u guys know where i can get guitar tabs ive bin lookin every where on the internet..

Quote by Muphin
I take the strings off before I smash my guitars. I usually go through about 2 a week. It's mad fun.
What are you and your bandmates passionate about, pissed at, sick of. You seem like a nice young age which means you are more than likely rebelious or anti establishment. tell me what pisses you off or what you are passionate about.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
anyways, you might want to check out kezia from protest the hero, it may help you out, a very well constructed concept album
Quote by ledhendrix711
do u guys know where i can get guitar tabs ive bin lookin every where on the internet..

Quote by Muphin
I take the strings off before I smash my guitars. I usually go through about 2 a week. It's mad fun.
write an album based upon my life. I've done some cool ****.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1

there is no way the founder of a nirvana fan club has ever done anything worth writing about, (kidding)
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by JesseWyllychuk
your using your fender frontman 25r as a head?

Wow, I'm gald you read the thread!!!

Actually not anymore. I got a B-52 AT-100 Head about 2 or 3 weeks ago but haven't updated my sig. I have video of it at a gig if you'd like that.

Quote by civildp1

I'll get on that.
When I write about stuff, I try to take an event, thought, scene, or idea and put it into every perspective possible, look at it from every angle and find every element that comprises the main idea and put it all together.

Thats just me personally, it works sometimes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'd suggest that rather than jumping in into the daunting task of writing a concept album, you start just writing some songs.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by ExplorerFreak
I'm kinda feeling the epic route but alas, no ideas. I'm no good at this.

Well if your looking for inspiration for epic stuff, look no further than wintersun. Great album, every damn song is amazing, and Jari is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard.

Anyways, when I look to write a song, I'll try to maybe learn some new scales or something, or try to incorporate different chord progressions into stuff. Also, one thing that might help is to just put on a song you really like, and just make up a riff to go along with it and voila, you've got your own original riff . Other then that, just listen to all types of bands, even stuff you don't like, and listen to how they write melodies with vocals or instruments, and the chord progressions that are going on underneath them. I used to have a hard time writing stuff, but once I started doing all that stuff I said, it helped me a lot. the first thing I do for a song though, is get down a good chord progression, be it simple or complex, and just build off of the root notes and the scales and all that stuff. Hope that helps you man. Best of luck
Write about Darfur... or just the whole Africa thing in general. Be enraged, man. The whole situation is ****ed up.

Slave labor...
War...
Cancer...
Time travel...
A schizophrenic trying to live a normal life..
I don't know.. it's your song, you're emotion..
you should write Still Life part 2 hehe. man, that cd is so good.

there are a lot of approaches you can take for writing a concept album. you could make up a story from scratch, take an already written story and expand on it/ provide alternate viewpoint, or find a current event and provide some sort of commentary with your album.

a few years ago i was reading a lot of greek and roman poetry (and some english and italian stuff too) such as the odyssey, aeneid, divine comedy, paradise lost and regained, etc. i thought, that would be cool if they made concept albums based on these works. although i didn't know it, there were already some out. most recently symphony x did the paradise lost cd which just takes a small part of what was covered in Milton's work and made an entire album out of it. maybe if you find a work you like your band can write a concept album from that.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Go out, live in solitude for a few years, practice haiku and when you come back, you'll have the best concept album ever..
or just look at something that sparks your interest and pick up aspects of what you like about it, but be so abstract that its not obvious to the listener what your singing about but they'll understand when they listen closely. I mean, you could write about felt pens...yeah...thats actually an easy topic to write on. actually, scratch that thought...im gonna go write a song about felt pens..
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
start with the drums, that always helps me, just try and start a beat in your head and put it down onto guitar thts how i do it, most of the times when i wirte riffs im watching a program or a film, just make like 5 riffs, then make them fit together like a jigsaw puzzle realy

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
I always thought it would be cool to write an album with each song being about a different decade. maybe not cool to anyone else but damnit i wish i had the initiative
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
Quote by kanamvar32
you should write Still Life part 2 hehe. man, that cd is so good.

there are a lot of approaches you can take for writing a concept album. you could make up a story from scratch, take an already written story and expand on it/ provide alternate viewpoint, or find a current event and provide some sort of commentary with your album.

a few years ago i was reading a lot of greek and roman poetry (and some english and italian stuff too) such as the odyssey, aeneid, divine comedy, paradise lost and regained, etc. i thought, that would be cool if they made concept albums based on these works. although i didn't know it, there were already some out. most recently symphony x did the paradise lost cd which just takes a small part of what was covered in Milton's work and made an entire album out of it. maybe if you find a work you like your band can write a concept album from that.

I was thinking about the Divine Comedy, Inferno to be specific. That'd be cool.
why do you use the amp as a cab?I mean why do you use a cab at all?Does it sound louder?
Quote by mike_rhd
why do you use the amp as a cab?I mean why do you use a cab at all?Does it sound louder?

Jesus, you know that the reason for PM's is so that you can ask a question not related to a thread. Yes it is louder.

That's it, I'm updating my sig.
Try to think of a story. Not necessarily mythical, or anything. Just a story - you, a friend, your parents, a made-up character, anyone could be the main subject. And then develop that into episodes, and there you go.

My two cents.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by jmag
Try to think of a story. Not necessarily mythical, or anything. Just a story - you, a friend, your parents, a made-up character, anyone could be the main subject. And then develop that into episodes, and there you go.

My two cents.

to add to that, read as many tolkien books as you can. If you want good stories, read Children of Hurin. I mean, the guy destroys everything dear to him, causes the destruction of entire communities and sleeps with his sister who then kills herself. He then throws himself onto his own sword. I mean thats just kickass..
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by ExplorerFreak
I was thinking about the Divine Comedy, Inferno to be specific. That'd be cool.

sepulchura (i think its them) already has an inferno based cd out, its called inferno too haha. check it out, maybe itll give u ideas. i dont htink anyone has covered the full divine comedy. it would be cool if u can do a 3 cd set, one for each section. talk about work tho haha.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Stop screaming and start singing would be a good place to start. Or keep the screaming and grunts and take out the guitar and bass but keep the drums. Viking Music!!!
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
do something like good apollo all over again, make sounds as hardcore as the live 14-minute version of the final cut
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by We'realltoBlame
Stop screaming and start singing would be a good place to start. Or keep the screaming and grunts and take out the guitar and bass but keep the drums. Viking Music!!!

How do you know about the screaming? If you are refering to my other band, that is not the one I am refering to. That is the Post-Hardcore band I am in. I am vocalist/guitarist for my Progressive metal band. Plenty of singing.

Quote by senor_penguin
do something like good apollo all over again, make sounds as hardcore as the live 14-minute version of the final cut

God I love Coheed!
I'm not a death metal person, but here's an idea. The journey of a dead person's soul to their final resting place, maybe someone who was like a convicted criminal who has to pass through the 7 circles of hell, I dunno. I'm sorry if this seems stupid, I play classic rock stuff. Good luck on ideas mate.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.