Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

So I was wondering what is the BEST wood for a guitar to have. I mean what wood will enable you have amazing tone and sustain.

If someone could list a few in order that would be awesome.
Or
Just tell me how my Jackson SLSMG Soloist is compared to other guitars tone and sustain wise.
There is no total best, it is about opinion. I think Mahogony has more sustain though.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
ok thanks :P

but what about active vs normal pickups. what would you say is better. what does what?
Don't know much about active pickups, but the one time I played guitar with them I didn't like the way they sounded. Couldn't get cleans. Normal pickups are good for everything.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

oh ok thanks. well i like my guitar and all but i kinda want a different one.
what should i get that has mahogany wood, 24 frets, fixed bridge, and normal pickups (some good ones) and that is a jackson or ibanez
^ I recommend you go to a guitar store, and go and try them out. Mahogony doesn't necessarily = sustain. There are many different factors.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

My favorite wood is probably either Poplar, it has a very defined low end with a bright high end; or walnut, similar to mahogany with a little more sustain and a bolder low end.

Certain woods have their strong points. Its a matter of opinion more than a best of the best kinda deal. Guitars can be made of the same wood, but be built differently and sound much different (Les Paul and Ibanez S series) and even 2 guitars of the same company can sound different.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
hmm. i just want something that will make enable my tone to sound brutal. My favorite band is Behemoth. I love to play death metal. So any thoughts you guys have on what guitar to get or what wood to get will be a big help. :p
Go to the guitar store and try yourself. Develop your own opinion.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

The best way to acquire a brutal tone is probably a mahogany guitar with active pickups. Although your amp would matter the most. Get a good amp before you get a good guitar.
Quote by Mittani
The best way to acquire a brutal tone is probably a mahogany guitar with active pickups. Although your amp would matter the most. Get a good amp before you get a good guitar.

John Petrucci has one of the heaviest tones I've heard, he uses a basswood guitar with Dimarzio Drop sonic Passive pickups; this is basically the opposite of mahogany/EMG.

I'm not saying you can't get a brutal tone, but like you said, the amp matters most.

Mesa Mark 4 FTW!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by JC13
Active pickups are certainly not meant for clean, they're for high gain, metal. And they sound the same in pretty much any guitar (of course there will be exceptions), but you really don't hear the wood at all.

Not ALL active pickups are meant for metal mind you. Take Lace sensors. Clapton uses those. Gilmour uses emg SA and he doesnt play metal either.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I remember some people even using EMGs for blues, depends on how you use it at the end of the day.
You can even play metal with a basswood guitar, but it depends on how you use it.

There is no best wood, but only inferior wood. Agathis, nato etc tend to make very good examples of firewood, particularly the former, which burns really well.
I would have to burn the Agathis. Think low-quality cedar. All the rest of the woods have characteristics that make them ideal for certain applications. Mahogany, alder and maple seem to be the general woods of choice but I also like basswood's tonal characteristics in certain guitars. Personal preference has a lot to do with choice. In general do not pay mahogany price for basswood. Use it as a bargaining chip to negotiate price. It's not a bad wood it's a cheap wood.