Hi,
I just got new bass woo hooo
anyways, I like basically every aspect of it except for one thing:weight
It just feels so heavy and it is around 4kg.. Is that considered medium, heavy, or super heavy? I guess I'll have to get a wide strap...
Congrats on the new bass but my MIA P-Bass weighs the same and i've played much heavier basses. I use the standard Fender strap that comes with it, I have tried wider straps but for me that one is the most comfortable. It's worth trying different straps though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
yeah, when I got my Spector bass, I think it weighs about 10 lbs. and I had to upgrade to a wider strap. Wider straps feel good anyways. Idk, that is on the heavy side, but not the heaviest i've played, an Ibanez Ergodyne with the Luthite body, that flippin thing must have weighed 12 pounds.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
My Epi weights 13 lbs (approx 6 kilos). I look at it as a way to build strong upper body strength without have the hassle of going to the gym. Get a good wide strap like indie says and you should be ok.
most good basses weigh a ton. a wide strap will help alot. my strap is a 3", leather, L & M. i paid around $25, but well worth it. you need to get some strap locks, too.
i bought Schallers, but Dunlop also makes good ones. fortunately, back in 1979, i bought a Peavey T-40 bass. played it for 6 yrs. it is by far, the heaviest bass i've ever owned, so my Fenders have always felt light, in comparison. congrats on the MIA.
My MIA P-bass weighs about that much, my stingray weighs at least 12lbs cuz of the ash body. My friend's Warwick Corvette 5-string weighs 14; he uses a 5" wide custom strap with it. I prefer the standard 2" straps though, it gives the bass a little room to move. Plus I have beastly clavicles from doing pushups all the time :p
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by teh_shredmaster
Hi,
I just got new bass woo hooo
anyways, I like basically every aspect of it except for one thing:weight
It just feels so heavy and it is around 4kg.. Is that considered medium, heavy, or super heavy? I guess I'll have to get a wide strap...

Not only is 4kg not heavy for a bass, it's not heavy at all. My '51 P-Bass RI weighs about 16lbs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
My Corvette weighs about 11 pounds but I honestly never notice it's weight when I am playing. It is probably just because I am big as hell (6'1" and about 270 lbs. offensive lineman) but it always sound weird to me when people complain about the weight of their basses.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
It just takes some time to get used the weight and feel of the bass. It'll feel like a part of you in no time.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Beast_Within
My Corvette weighs about 11 pounds but I honestly never notice it's weight when I am playing. It is probably just because I am big as hell (6'1" and about 270 lbs. offensive lineman) but it always sound weird to me when people complain about the weight of their basses.

Yeah, as a 6'7", 310lb fatass, I really feel no mercy for people complaining about weight... especially guitar players. In fact, I don't listen to any guitarist's complaints.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by anarkee
My Epi weights 13 lbs (approx 6 kilos). I look at it as a way to build strong upper body strength without have the hassle of going to the gym. Get a good wide strap like indie says and you should be ok.

Well... decent upper body strength.

My bass isn't that heavy... well at least, I don't think it is. My older J-bass ripoff is fairly hefty though.

Warwicks are probably the heaviest basses I've hefted - I tried to put a 6-string Thumb back on the hanger thing at a music shop, and the hanger broke.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Well... decent upper body strength.

Well...when your bass = over 1/10 of your body weight, it's a little more than a decent work out
Quote by Bumper
God you people are fat...

5 feet 6 inches. 110 pounds. I'm tiny. Now you tell me that is fat.

To be on topic, when I measured my Ibanez I think it came in around 8 1/2 lbs. So its not too bad. But with a tiny guy like me and a 2 inch strap, I need to upgrade. This is the main reason I wouldn't buy a Stingray. To f*cking heavy to gig with.
Im 15years old and I am about tall and fat as you.
I've been playing gibson sg for like 2months straight before I got
my new bass(I sold my old bass and I was looking for a
good deal during that period) Gibson SG is far lighter than my bass
Actually gibson sg is considered light in the world of guitar..
Guess it was just a big transition for me
Its good to hear that my bass is normal