I play in a band with three other guys, and we all have both over lapping, and at the same time very different tastes. So, to compromise are styles, I guess I would say that we are sort of a pop band.

As of now, I am the sole song writer, and I've writen all five songs myself, as well as the lyrics. I play guitar and sing, so I write both guitar tracks, the bass line and help with the drum line. The guys and everyone whose heard us likes our songs so I must be doing something right.

My question is will this type of band last long? Has anyone had an experience like this with everyone having different general tastes, or one person as song writer?
It can take a while for me to write my own song, but I wrote one with my brother in 15 minutes and it was just as great.
I'm no expert, but I reckon it will last as long as your patience does.
Can you really put up with writing pop songs for other people for that long?
It will last as long as the other people in the band are fine with just you writing the songs. But if they want to help write then make sure you listen to thier suggestions and consider them.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Retro Rocker
I'm no expert, but I reckon it will last as long as your patience does.
Can you really put up with writing pop songs for other people for that long?

I like the songs that I write, it's just not exactly what I would want to do. I'd like to have a heavier sound.
This is the way I do it. I write pretty much everything, but if anyone has an idea that we all like we'll go for it. It works (my bands been together for 2 1/2 years and it doesnt look like were breaking up) just dont let too much control get to your head where you wont even listen to your band mates.

Hope that helps.
I can say something about the different tastes bit.

It can sometimes be a really pain in the ass. I'm in a band for like 6 months and it's constant arguments with the other guitar player, cause we have, like you said, overlaping, but different music tastes. I dunno how long it will last, depends on both sides determination and patience. As well as the ability to make compromises.
Listen to my songs!

Hate Unleashed
"The song itself is simply awesome." - British Steel about Hate Unleashed
"Really good." - DarkTom666 about Hate Unleashed
A Pleasant Point

Crit for crit
Quote by lylewithans182
I like the songs that I write, it's just not exactly what I would want to do. I'd like to have a heavier sound.

You could slowly starting making them a bit heavier. Or, you can just jump right into it, and if they object, say, " Hell, I didn't see you offer to help writing." If they really give a crap, they'll have to offer some constructive criticism, at least.
Last edited by Dethvone1 at Jul 20, 2007,