i recently just upgraded my epiphone sg starter pack amp with a vox ad30vt (which is amazing by the way). i was wondering if i upgraded my guitar to something like an american fender, would my sound really change that much? keep in mind that the epiphone sg itself is like $150 and an american fender is around $1,000. i'll have to be honest and say that the sg sounds pretty good through the ad30vt though, but how much of a difference will an upgraded guitar make?
Upgraded guitar makes more difference in playability, easiness and comfort, also some tonal change. Amps make more different in tone/sound characterization.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Well, you'll definitely get a different sound because of all the differences between the guitar themselves (wood/pickup type), but the differences will always show better with a better amp. I mean, you'll obviously get a different tone, but if you really want it to show, a better amp strips your guitar better and shows you the quality of it.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by sirgika
i recently just upgraded my epiphone sg starter pack amp with a vox ad30vt (which is amazing by the way). i was wondering if i upgraded my guitar to something like an american fender, would my sound really change that much? keep in mind that the epiphone sg itself is like $150 and an american fender is around $1,000. i'll have to be honest and say that the sg sounds pretty good through the ad30vt though, but how much of a difference will an upgraded guitar make?
It will make about 15% difference.
The American Strat will be good if you decide you want to change your sound.

I'm really glad I have a strat because I've changed my ideas on music 30,000 times. I wanted to be in a punk band when I got it, then I decided that I wanted to play classic rock, then decided I wanted to play the blues, then decided I wanted to play jazz, then decided I wanted to play atonal post-punk nonsense, then decided I wanted to play ska, and have finally resided in the decision to create my own musical genre with all of the above genres. My guitar sounded perfect for all of these different styles of music.

EDIT: If you get a strat, get it with the humbucker.
Last edited by n0selfesteem at Jul 12, 2007,