ok, i play a fender mim strat through a fender hot rod deluxe.
i play mostly blues. alot of buddy guy. bb king, srv, kws, lowell fulson, on and on and on.
i play some rock and pop like clapton, aeromsmith, the black crowes and john mayer.

currently i am very satisfied with the qualitly of my guitar, just not its sound.
here are the pickups that im considering, so please, if anyone has any suggestions or has any experience with them, please share.

fender 57/62

fender fat 50's

fender '69

also, any other suggestions are welcome. but i would really like info on these.
i was going to get stephens design pickups, but their would be at leasr a 6 month wait, plus it seems those are pickups that i would put in a better guitar down the road.

edit. also they must be true single coils, i.e. no noiseless.
Last edited by chea_man at Jul 12, 2007,
i like the fat 50's personally.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
i would look into seymour duncans, actually.. they make a lot of cool single coils. i just popped a Duncan Alnico II Single coil into my strat's bridge, and I absolutely love it.
ESP EC-400 AT Goldtop
Fender 62 Jazzmaster
Fender Mexican HSS Strat
Fender 60's Reissue Strat
Peavey JSX Halfstack

**Member #10 of the PEAVEY IS AMAZING club!**
from personal taste the 69's bridge pup is waay to thin and brittle for anything really. just crap. the neck and bridge are lovely tho!

the fat 50s bridge is v nice but the middle and neck i find are nothing special.

dont kno about the 57/62 ive never played with them.

if you can afford it a fat 50 bridge and a 69 neck and mid is a REALLY FANTASTIC combintation. much reccomended!
Member #29 of the Fender Armada. Pm Arlabester...
Co-Founder of the UG Hippie Club! PM me or Blynd_Snyper to join!

My Gear:
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Fender Blues Junior Amp
Korg Multi effects pedal
Peavey Millenium Bass
Peavey Bass Amp
which of these would do the john mayer sound best?
i really wish fender would release the big dippers not just in mayers sig guitar.
Quote by Tok
from personal taste the 69's bridge pup is waay to thin and brittle for anything really. just crap. the neck and bridge are lovely tho!

the fat 50s bridge is v nice but the middle and neck i find are nothing special.

dont kno about the 57/62 ive never played with them.

if you can afford it a fat 50 bridge and a 69 neck and mid is a REALLY FANTASTIC combintation. much reccomended!

i would do that, but im buying sets of them off of ebay, so i cant really mix and match
but , idk if its that great i might have to reconsider
i would consider kinmans, but they are noiseless, thus making them not true single coil pickups.
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
Why do they have to be single coils?

because im after the definitive strat tone. and i love the sound of a single coil pickup
They may not be singe-coils in the truest sense, but they are incredible sounding pickups. They have that "definitive strat tone" in bucketloads. I'd really recommend giving them a try before you write them off..
Quote by guitaristd
i think the diffenitive strat tone is the 57/62s it's what i have
i get a perfect frusciante tone

any chance you have a sound clip of those pickups, im dying to hear them
maybe later today
iactually jsut recorded
the wind cries mary with my strat and new plexi
i'll see if i can get iit up here later today
Quote by forsaknazrael
Psh, why not Stephens Designs? I'd totally wait for them. Those things sound awesome. And the clips he records are usually through midrange guitars. The P-90 clips are through some kinda goldtop LP copy.

yeah most of the singlecoils are recorded with a squire.
i was going to get them until i found out i had to wait six months.
i need them soon because my band is about to start a tour.

and off topic if you like p-90s, you should hear them in my 1967 es -175
There are some great pickup soundclips here.

I have never tried them, but I would recomend the Lindy Fralin blues specials or vintage hots. They are a little more expensive than the Fenders but not much. I'm going to be getting the Blues Specials soon hopefully.