A lot of great amps sound really bad with the wrong guitar.

A lot of great guitars sound really bad with the wrong amp.

But,
A lot of terrible guitars can sound like a million bucks in the right amp.

So - this thread is to help you find the right amp for your guitar, and vice versa. I don't know a whole lot on this topic, and I'm hoping to learn some. If you have a guitar, and you're looking for an amp that will really bring out it's strong points and strengthen the tone, ask for advice. Or maybe your guitar was junk, and you're buying a new one. Ask which guitars play well through your amp. Or maybe you're just here to help out those of us who are less knowing - drop by and answer a few Qs.

Find the perfect guitar and amp combo, and you're well on your way to getting the next big gig.
You know, there's like, 10 other threads made by other UGers looking for new amps nearly all the time here.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I don't really agree with your facts. It's more like, a great amp sounds good even with a ****ty guitar, but a great guitar sucks on a ****ty amp.

I think the amp is like 60-70% of the player's tone.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by Svennz
I don't really agree with your facts. It's more like, a great amp sounds good even with a ****ty guitar, but a great guitar sucks on a ****ty amp.

+1
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Jackson RR3/JS30KV = looking for As I Lay Dying/Amon Amarth tone, limited budget (£400 tops probably)
Any ideas? Methinks Randall
ohai little sig.
i think the problem with great guitars soundin crap o great amps is coz the amp isnt set up properly is all.
Ok, like I said, I don't have a whole lot of experience on this myself, so I'll start the thread off - Here's what I've got:

Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul Special II - Here's a link:
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=21&CollectionID=6
Amps: Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp (10" speaker, 3-band EQ, boost switch) You can see it here:
http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=382
Crate GX30M (12" speaker, 30 watts, 3-band EQ, Mono Chorus Depth and Rate, Reverb, Distortion/ Clean channel) Here's a link to the product site:
http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=48

Oddly enough, my guitar sounds great through the Epiphone practice amp (which is known for breaking and cheap, standard-practice-amp sounds) but if I boost the volume above halfway on my Crate with reverb on, I have problems, and I can't get a very wide range of sounds and tone qualities. However, the Epiphone amp is obviously too weak for gigs, and no reverb at high volumes on the Crate can cause problems. If anyone has a suggestion on a new amp or guitar, or even a pedal that could help improve the Crate, let me know.
I just upgraded my amplifier, but still play with a budget guitar (Yamaha Pacifica fat strat clone).

My new amp is a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. It made my budget Pacifica sound waaaaaay better, with both the humbuckers and the single coils, from cleans to blues to high-gain big fun. The difference blows me away.

I am now happy that I upgraded my amp (significantly) prior to thinking about a guitar upgrade, as I am now much happier with my Pacifica than before. I can hardly wait to try the amp with a much nicer guitar (I'd like to buy a mahogany humbucker guitar in the next year, maybe a PRS SE or a LP-style guitar).
Quote by Svennz

I agree, in most cases, but if you read my post about my two amps, you'll see that it's sometimes just about the combination of the guitar and amp.