hello,

first forum post. but just wondering if any one can shed some light on any songs to learn that have odd time signatures?? and any one can help me with counting stuff like 13/7 or like 17/11? i know what they stand for but wondering how to count them??

thanks
liam
17/11? wtf is that lol

but anywys, lets take 13/7

if you want to count it..just count it all 8th notes..1-2-3.....13 then start over or, you can count a 6/8 and then 7/8 and itll give you the same results,your just splitting them...but with a song that has a 13/7 time sig..its harder..but once again, if you can find a behginning and end of a measure..you can count the same way with 8th notes

learn vicarious by tool..that is 5/8.
or Jambi by Tool which is 9/8(9/8 isnt an unusual time sig but tool makes it very unusual)
or look up some rush songs, each song has his odd moments
cheers man, thats great, given me some where to start!! I read on the internet like these weird ones like 13/11 and 25/7 and some crazy stuff like that. do u count them the same way???
Iron Maidens latest album (A Matter of Life & Death) has odd time sig.s
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
there is no such thing as 13/7 or 17/11. time signatures cant have 7, 11 or any other odd number besides 1 as the second number. the second number corresponds to the name of the note. 8= eighth note, 4= quarter note, etc. but maybe look into 5/4 or 7/8, 9/8. (12-345), (123-4567...12-34-567). or you could just count ever downbeat individually.
Last edited by Sage at Jul 12, 2007,
so it has to be like 13/8 or 13/6 then???

is there like any set rules to what the second number can be??
LOL! You need to be Steve Vai to find your way with a 17/11...that note value (11) does not even exist, only 11 notes in a beat and that's a undecaplet...like a triplet, but eleven notes I wrote a very extensive article once about that...

Just take any progressive metal band, and there you go...
Dream Theater's "Dance Of Eternity" from "Scenes From A Memory" album is a song with the most time signature changes I have seen in my entire life

Also try Symphony X, Pain Of Salvation, Shadow Gallery. Or try Vlatko Stefanovski, a Macedonian guitarist, he lives in odd signatures mostly 7/8, 9/8 and 11/8.

Hope this helps
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
so it is possible to have like 13/7 and stuff like that. but i should start with like maybe like 9/8 or something?
2= half note, 4=quarter note, 8= eighth note, 16= sixteenth note, etc, 32nd 64th. the bottom number tells you what note equals 1 full count. ex. 6/8 the eighth note equals 1 count. 4/4 the quarter note equals 1 count. and the top number tells you how many counts are in the measure. ya try 7/8, 9/8, 5/8 or something like that. so that means 13/7 is not possible. it has to end in 2,4,8, 16,32,64, etc. it could end in 1 for a whole note i suppose but anything besides 2,4, or 8 is usually more work than you need to do. not always but usually
Last edited by Sage at Jul 12, 2007,
Quote by dimerulez
so it is possible to have like 13/7 and stuff like that. but i should start with like maybe like 9/8 or something?

I was kidding about that No it's not possible. The second number must be 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, ...128...(ok there's no point in making a 256/128 time sig )

There is some tricks to make odd note groupings that you write down something like that...that's why I refferred to Steve Vai, he has that on his website, check it out.
I am Žile, I'm from Serbia, and I like guitars... and beans of course...never underestimate well cooked beans!

Join Alternate tunings
TUNED OUT
ok cheers, ill start with the like 5/8 and stuff.

two last questions!! can u have like 5/8 for like 2 bars and change to something different for two bars and then come back to 5/8. would this just sound messy?? coz i no master of puppets does summin like that during the verse.??
^ sure you can, i have a song that goes 5/8 -> 8/8 -> 9/8 and cycles through those time sigs. to do stuff like that it's all about displacing the off-beat properly.
o cheers, im finally starting to understand. What is a song to learn that has odd time signatures but isnt tooo complex, sorta like i dont mind how hard it is coz i play alot of neo classical shred and stuff but has a fairly simple odd time signature so i get used to the whole thing???
ya if you do it right it sounds pretty cool because it keeps on changing. but if you are in a group and not everyone does it right or doesnt understand it then you will get really off and it will sound bad
Quote by dimerulez
o cheers, im finally starting to understand. What is a song to learn that has odd time signatures but isnt tooo complex, sorta like i dont mind how hard it is coz i play alot of neo classical shred and stuff but has a fairly simple odd time signature so i get used to the whole thing???

most tool songs, alot of them are in odd time sigs and go thru odd times sigs in one song. they're not terribly difficult once you get used to pushing and pulling on the down beat.
Thanks alot!!!

Was actually surprised that i got some replies!!! thanks alot, your help is really apreciated!!
I'll have to agree with some of the others. Practicing stuff like Rush and Dream Theater songs can help a lot with odd time signatures.
Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa are pretty notorious for writing their songs with odd time signatures.
Quote by GetOutOfMyYard
Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa are pretty notorious for writing their songs with odd time signatures.

Yup.
Money by Pink Floyd would be an excellent song to start practising odd time signatures with. It's in 7/4 and 4/4. Try it.
Radiohead.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
The Mars Volta's gotta have some odd time signatures. I think part of Cygnus, Vismund Cygnus is in 29/8? something like that.