Page 1 of 3
hey guys, I'm back, and i must apologize for the last time what happenedl; and to the mods, thank you.

so, as my bannination had happened i had gone into guitar theory, and quite really, gotten a whole lot better. but also during band practices i realized i really didnt like my blues junior. its not enough distortion and its too bright. ive tried out lots of guitars and amps, and ive come out liking a few more than others.

the amps i liked the most were the Marshall Vintage Modified, JCM 800, the Peavey JSX and the Vox AC50.

so doing this, i had found CeriaTone amplification, handbuilt in Malaysia. i had decided to go for one of these, as they looked rather pleasent. i decided to go for a 50 watt version of the JCM 800, not the 100, becuase there is almost no difference in sound, and theres less heft and tubes to worry about.

so, heres the basis of the hybrid monster that is the Custom 800.

-80's JCM 800 "base"
-Treble Cap Removed
-Transistors Switched around for more Mids and Clarity
-Added Gain
-Bypassable Effects Loop
-FootSwitchable Gain
-Custom Maroon Cab and Gold Piping

so... what do you think? the grand total is $1025 USD. ive been saving for two months now, and ive still only got $125... but im getting some birthday cash, and by christmas i can get this.

the only thing i have a problem with... i cant try it out! there will be so many mods to it, it will only "half" sound like a marshall... so the only thing i can shoot at is play all the amps ive based it on.

do you think that this amp could handle blues rock, classic rock, 80's thrash, classic metal and blues? this will be going through a strat with overwound shielded pickups, or a rail in the bridge.

thanks.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^Lol yeah I know how you feel
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Quote by Arlabester
hey guys, I'm back, and i must apologize for the last time what happenedl.

What happened?
Quote by Arlabester
i really didnt like my blues junior. its not enough distortion and its too bright.
Just curious - what tubes do you have in there? Do you like the clean sound but not the overdrive? Have you tried any good distortion pedals?
not again.

Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by malibuclc
What happened?
Just curious - what tubes do you have in there? Do you like the clean sound but not the overdrive? Have you tried any good distortion pedals?

im not going to release what happened; i was adressing to all that were involved.

yes, i love the clean sound; but i cant live without heavy, crunchy tube distortion.

and they are stock Groove 12AX7/EL84.
Quote by malibuclc
What happened?

You can just read his posts if you'd like to know that bad.

and i thought someone said that you said in FOTB that you wouldent be back?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
You can just read his posts if you'd like to know that bad.

and i thought someone said that you said in FOTB that you wouldent be back?

yeah; i wasnt going to, but i changed my mind... a lot of the other forums ive been to have very limited in info or are very elitist.
Why spend that much on an amp at this point? If you REALLY need it, which you don't...IMO...

Just buy a used JCM 800. They go for 500-ish, and are a lot easier to save up for, and to justify. I know it's not as "versatile" as the modded one...

But...I dunno, I used to really want a Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace, because of all the different options it had. That thing was versatile! But I ended up just getting a Traynor YCV40, which had a lot less bells and whistles, and I found the sound I wanted. I found myself, adjusting knobs and switches a lot less, and just working on my technique and relying on just my guitar to find my tone.
well i want to get it becuase im starting to get very serious about my guitar playing; ive stopped buying a lot of things, and ive been going on forums less. ive purchased a few theory books and started learning theory. im just going for this amp because 1. i have OCD, and i have found buying used and signature is something that effects me and 2. i wont really need another amp ever again, that way i dont have to worry about saving like this ever again... unless i dramatically change my tone.
Quote by Jinskee

Speaks for UG!!!

things have been nice and quiet!

Get it ok! Feck the BJ and just get it. End of!
I understand you're getting serious, but I still think that 1000 bucks is a huge investment when you're young.

And I still don't see your problem with buying used. It doesn't make any sense. Some of the best amplifiers out there are NOT made any more. Reissues are often one of the following: unavailable, untrue to the original, too expensive, or some combination of them all.

Think about all your favorite guitarists in modern bands. Alot of them use older amps, and they probably bought them used.

As long as you can try something out, and see that it works, or at least in the case of eBay, have a good refund available (Paypal and eBay policies) and be able to check the reliability of the seller (feedback) I don't think there's a problem with buying used. None at all.
i dont either; my OCD says otherwise.

and yes, i know where your coming from. if the amp was discontinued, it would be a different story.

and i am quite aware that $1000 is a large investment; but i think it would be something i could be proud of.
oh come on, dont blame "having OCD" on not wanting to buy used gear.
Quote by forsaknazrael
And....JCM800 2203's are discontinued...? They have a reissue, but it's way more expensive than used. 2000 bucks VS 500? No thanks.

I dunno, slatsmania has bought billions of amps used...As long as you know what you're doing, you're fine.

i beleive its a 2204; thats what it says at least.

plus; the amp is technically a copy, but its handmade, wired and PCB's arent even used. and its custom ordered, with a warranty.
You shouldn't really shell out that much cash for an amp until you have a job that pays you enough to be able to afford it...money comes in handy for a lot of things and you never know when you'll need some.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You shouldn't really shell out that much cash for an amp until you have a job that pays you enough to be able to afford it...money comes in handy for a lot of things and you never know when you'll need some.

thats true; but im only 13, theres not much to look out for until gas; which is when im 16.

^50 watt version, im getting the 50 watter, becuase contrary to popular belief; theres almost no difference in volume.

and, lol. neither would i.
Quote by igotabcrich32
not again.

Quote by False_God

Speaks for UG!!!

things have been nice and quiet!

Get it ok! Feck the BJ and just get it. End of!

to not be tooo spammy (like usual) i'm gonna say i agree with what john said, mainly because its true
mark gots a point there too

you could try EQing the BJr or something, or change tubes, or get a used amp if you really feel you need something new

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
thats true; but im only 13, theres not much to look out for until gas; which is when im 16.

I'd say that was even less of a reason to drop $1000 dollars on an amp - your 13 for crying out loud!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
^^.Ah, I was just using the 2203 as the example because some people like to use it as an example of THE Marshall tone. Plus, that's the JCM800 version being reissued.
yeah, im goin for the 2204.

yes steven, i know, but its what i want to do; it is pretty ridicoulous.

to hendriko; an eq wouldnt help becuase i know you can use it as a booster, but it would not make the amp darker... maybe the EQ'ing could, but theres no presence knob or anything else. tubes wouldnt help either; its way to bright and trebly anyway. plus, anything i do; there still isnt enough gain.
Bollocks, another thread.

Just kidding, or am I? I don't know anymore.

Just buy any amp you want.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Bollocks, another thread.

Just kidding, or am I? I don't know anymore.

Just buy any amp you want.

hah.

good to see you again RHCP.
Quote by Arlabester
hey guys, I'm back, and i must apologize for the last time what happenedl; and to the mods, thank you.

so, as my bannination had happened i had gone into guitar theory, and quite really, gotten a whole lot better. but also during band practices i realized i really didnt like my blues junior. its not enough distortion and its too bright. ive tried out lots of guitars and amps, and ive come out liking a few more than others.

the amps i liked the most were the Marshall Vintage Modified, JCM 800, the Peavey JSX and the Vox AC50.

so doing this, i had found CeriaTone amplification, handbuilt in Malaysia. i had decided to go for one of these, as they looked rather pleasent. i decided to go for a 50 watt version of the JCM 800, not the 100, becuase there is almost no difference in sound, and theres less heft and tubes to worry about.

so, heres the basis of the hybrid monster that is the Custom 800.

-80's JCM 800 "base"
-Treble Cap Removed
-Transistors Switched around for more Mids and Clarity
-Added Gain
-Bypassable Effects Loop
-FootSwitchable Gain
-Custom Maroon Cab and Gold Piping

so... what do you think? the grand total is $1025 USD. ive been saving for two months now, and ive still only got $125... but im getting some birthday cash, and by christmas i can get this.

the only thing i have a problem with... i cant try it out! there will be so many mods to it, it will only "half" sound like a marshall... so the only thing i can shoot at is play all the amps ive based it on.

do you think that this amp could handle blues rock, classic rock, 80's thrash, classic metal and blues? this will be going through a strat with overwound shielded pickups, or a rail in the bridge.

thanks.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Jesus. You've already made your mind up and just want to show off your magical hand-built amp to everyone, and also parade your OCD around so it makes you special.

Just get the amp, because nothing anyone will say can change your mind. Your OCD says so.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Jesus. You've already made your mind up and just want to show off your magical hand-built amp to everyone, and also parade your OCD around so it makes you special.

Just get the amp, because nothing anyone will say can change your mind. Your OCD says so.
no; becuase there could be a better model for me that i havent found... or different modification ideas that would further enhance the amp.
Quote by Arlabester
yeah, im goin for the 2204.

yes steven, i know, but its what i want to do; it is pretty ridicoulous.

to hendriko; an eq wouldnt help becuase i know you can use it as a booster, but it would not make the amp darker... maybe the EQ'ing could, but theres no presence knob or anything else. tubes wouldnt help either; its way to bright and trebly anyway. plus, anything i do; there still isnt enough gain.
You don't ever think about anything anyone says to you do you? Why even ask a question? Groove Tubes are bright, thin, ice-picky crap tubes. New tubes would help a lot. Something like the Tung-sol 12ax7's. They have a deep bottom end and would add more warmth to your tone. They have more gain as well (110+ mu gain). Don't know about el-84 power tubes. But you know everything at 13 so...go spend all of your money on something you may not like in a couple of years when your taste in music/gear/maturity and everything else has changed. Or use the $125 on some new tubes and a distortion pedal. Nobody cares.
exactly what R_H_C_P said. if you want it get it. Tho you could change your style and end up spending that much on it, but thats a risk i guess!

Have you heard them yeah?
Quote by malibuclc
You don't ever think about anything anyone says to you do you? Why even ask a question? Groove Tubes are bright, thin, ice-picky crap tubes. New tubes would help a lot. Something like the Tung-sol 12ax7's. They have a deep bottom end and would add more warmth to your tone. They have more gain as well (110+ mu gain). Don't know about el-84 power tubes. But you know everything at 13 so...go spend all of your money on something you may not like in a couple of years when your taste in music/gear/maturity and everything else has changed. Or use the $125 on some new tubes and a distortion pedal. Nobody cares.

New tubes are actually a REALLY good idea. Plus, they don't cost 1000 dollars.
I thought you said in the FoTB you were never coming back?

anyways, i planned on getting the Plexi50 1986 Bass and cant wait till i get the cash for it. And where did you find a place to do the cab at?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by malibuclc

the problem with a distortion pedal is i dont get tube distortion... i already have four of them.

im trying to search for BJR clips with new tubes; but i really dont think that a BJR will have enough gain for 80's thrash. but your right, my tastes could change... but either way ill like the amp, becuase i like marshalls, im just thinking of what the mods could do to it, although i can only imagine it getting punchier, plus, ive got my BJR if my tastes get lighter or cleaner, the Custom 800 would have everything else minus really heavy metal covered.

^i changed my mind... and theyre doing the cab for me.
Last edited by Arlabester at Jul 12, 2007,
You have answered your own Q.

theirs hundreads of amps out there that will do thrash and not cost $1000! Obvioulsy a jcm 800 would be the best! Why get a stack when you could get a combo which wouldnt be as much easier to push thus gettig better gain!???
Quote by False_God
You have answered your own Q.

theirs hundreads of amps out there that will do thrash and not cost $1000! Obvioulsy a jcm 800 would be the best! Why get a stack when you could get a combo which wouldnt be as much easier to push thus gettig better gain!???

becuase they dont make a combo version... and i AM getting an 800...

and what im asking is if theres a better amp for me; becuase i have a LOT of influences.
I would recommend getting a master volume or else you will not be getting the gain you want at bedroom volumes, also if they are adding another channel are they adding diodes to the gain channel to cause it to distort?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
I would recommend getting a master volume or else you will not be getting the gain you want at bedroom volumes, also if they are adding another channel are they adding diodes to the gain channel to cause it to distort?

they cant add another channel, but theyre adding a boost, so i guess theres two levels of gain. and its an 800, its already got em built in.

although i WAS considering a plexi... i dont think it would get enough gain though.
well i want to get it becuase im starting to get very serious about my guitar playing; ive stopped buying a lot of things, and ive been going on forums less. ive purchased a few theory books and started learning theory. im just going for this amp because 1. i have OCD, and i have found buying used and signature is something that effects me and.

Pardon my french, but that's bullcrap. Yeah, okay, your "ocd" effects you wanting new gear rather than used gear...right, okay.

2. i wont really need another amp ever again, that way i dont have to worry about saving like this ever again... unless i dramatically change my tone

Which you most likely will...

I'd think twice about what you're doing here...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
its the same old Arla, i dont think we should keep getting mad over it, we could always just ignore him since he's getting rather annoying, and he's only been back for a few hours.
Page 1 of 3