gonna get new tubes for my VK and a speaker. what tubes and what speakers should i be getting? the tone i want is pretty much a thick hard rock type of sound so something with mid gain. and is there anything i could do to the circuitry to make the amp sound better?
I haven't changed the speaks in mine, but I've heard good things about Celeston V30s.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Id go with a warmer speaker for the VK cause it can be kinda harsh and bright, maybe a g12h30?
Before you go and spend money on new tubes and speaker be aware that any new tube amp and the VK in particular require burn-in and speaker break-in before they sound their best. I have had mine about a year and it sounds so much better than when I first purchased it new. If you have played it pretty loud for at least 100 hours (this is a lot of gig-time) then look at upgrades. So many people get impatient and either pour money in them (VK) or return them prematurely.
Quote by uldhppi
Before you go and spend money on new tubes and speaker be aware that any new tube amp and the VK in particular require burn-in and speaker break-in before they sound their best. I have had mine about a year and it sounds so much better than when I first purchased it new. If you have played it pretty loud for at least 100 hours (this is a lot of gig-time) then look at upgrades. So many people get impatient and either pour money in them (VK) or return them prematurely.

im hoping youre right cuz im not too fond of mine..
I don't ask for much
Truth be told I'll settle for
A life less frightening, a life less frightening
^Give it a little time. You can always get rid of it if it doesn't measure up. There are postings in The Gear Page (another forum) of other and faster methods of break-in. Check it out. Maybe it will help.
An EQ pedal in the effects loop is a must. Difference is night and day.
Get a boost pedal, like Digitech Bad Monkey... best money you'll ever spend.

Next, get a GreenBack--

Then find 12AX7 Tung Sol to smooth it out. Powertubes, go with something GC, take out those crappy stock 6L6s and replace them with JJ or something.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/