So I was attempting to tune down half a step but I've never done tuning like that before so I think I probably was't doing it properly. I was going by the tuning thread in the basics forum. My e string broke. I was considering taking my guitar to work tomorrow and seeing if my co-worker and guitar guru Matt might restring it for me. Does that make me a pansy? I don't feel very confident trying to restring it myself.

And before anyone points me to the restringing thread, I've already been there. This isn't a how to restring thread.

Is it better to replace all the strings when one breaks, or just the one that broke? Also, now I'm worried that my other strings will break too if I try to put the tuning back to the way it was.

One other thing. Has anyone kept their first broken string? I'm just curious. It's a sort of souvenir for me now. My first broken string...a stepping stone away from complete newbie incompetence.
do all the strings. and yes, taking it to someone else makes you a bitch. its easy dued, you wont **** it up that bad if you mess up

Edit: (to above) haha, thats actually really funny
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

i think that you tuned up accidently , because i for one never had a string snap tuning down.
but dont feel bad, everyone snaps strings.
the first time i tried to restring a guitar i snapped something like 4 high e strings, and at least 2 b strings, and probably a g string.
and once in a while, i still snap the b and or e strings for some odd reason, and ive been playing for 4 years
also no ive never snapped the low E, and i still wonder how people actually achieve that

^ by the way i think you meant wary, (weary means to be tired)
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Yup, I was tuning down. This is what I was doing.

Standard; Half a step down: Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb - (D# G# C# F# A# D#)

1. Play the 4th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the A string to match the 4th fret Low E string.
2. Play the 5th fret A string and the D string open. Retune the D string to match the 5th fret A string.
3. Play the 5th fret D string and the G string open. Retune the G string to match the 5th fret D string.
4. Play the 4th fret G string and the B string open. Retune the B string to match the 4th fret G string.
5. Play the 5th fret B string and the High E string open. Retune the High E string to match the 5th fret B string.
6. Play the 5th fret Low E string and the A string open. Retune the 5th fret Low E to match the A string open.

The string broke really high up, close to the tuning peg.

And I'm not worried about looking like a bitch. That's rather moot since I'm a girl. I'd rather have someone else show me how to do it the first time, then attempt it myself and screw it all up.

Edit: Maybe I was accidentally tuning up instead of down? The pitch was getting lower, not higher. Unless I'm a complete dumb****. <--- not an invitation for people to agree with that by the way.
Last edited by HollyW07 at Jul 13, 2007,
The store sold you a Gib$on Les Paul. They should be happy to sell you a string or a set of strings, and teach you how to put them on yourself. When you pay Gib$on kinda money, you should expect Gib$on kinda support. Buy a string winder, if you don't already have one.
Quote by HollyW07
Edit: Maybe I was accidentally tuning up instead of down? The pitch was getting lower, not higher. Unless I'm a complete dumb****. <--- not an invitation for people to agree with that by the way.
A gentleman should not disagree with a lady.

... and by "not disagree", I mean: I decline any invitation, implied or otherwise.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 13, 2007,
I could take it into GC I guess. I just would feel like an idiot taking my guitar to GC and telling them I don't know how to restring it. I could figure it out on my own but like I said, I'd rather have someone show me how to do it.

But now that I think about it, I believe there's a small guitar and repair shop on my way to work. I could probably stop in there. I have extra strings that I bought when I got my guitar.
Quote by HollyW07
I could take it into GC I guess. I just would feel like an idiot taking my guitar to GC and telling them I don't know how to restring it. I could figure it out on my own but like I said, I'd rather have someone show me how to do it.

But now that I think about it, I believe there's a small guitar and repair shop on my way to work. I could probably stop in there. I have extra strings that I bought when I got my guitar.
Leave the strings at home or in the car. Let them SELL you the strings and make a few pennies on the deal. That's the classy way to do it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.