Hi guys posting for the first time. First my equipment,

Vox Valvatronix AD30VT AMP
Fender Starcaster (el cheapo beginner guitar version)
EH Bigg Muff

This is the equipment available to me as it stands, being told to buy other stuff shouldn't be to unreasonable for me to hear. But from what I have, help on getting closer would be nice. Wikipedia says this song uses mostly wah and fuzz. Well the amp has some built-in wah stuff, I know it isn't going to be real good, but close enough to play with. I think the fuzz is more important in the case anyway, I am not exactly sure how to make my big muff get that "enclosed room" sound that the maggot brain solo has. Anyway, let me know if I am completely off, any advice welcome!

Thanks
I'd say it'll be hard with that equipment, but I'd recommend using the big muff on a high gain high bass setting.

A wah really is a necessity for Funkadelic, though.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
a lot of what youre hearing is studio effects. youre not going to get that with your current gear.
The tone sounds very Eric Claptony/early Santana. Choose a Fender amp model and maybe a bit of a fuzz face kinda fuzz if you have that. The wah your amp likely has is an auto wah, which isn't what you need. The way the way is used is as a filter (ie. not using it on every beat like people like Kirk Hammett do). You're just going to have to work that bit out by ear. The thing that gives it that spacey sound is a delay. Sounds like an analogue delay because of the way it distorts. The mix is probably around 50% and the delay time is short. Keep in mind you won't get an identical effect because a large part of the sound is how it's panned (if you listen the guitar is in the right speaker and the delay in the left).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
A wah pedal is a must. It gives it that depth and unique raw edge emotional sound. At the start of the song make sure your tone is turned down to give it the "woman tone" feel..but eventually it's turned up and a lot more trebley. Hopefully you have some sort of delay effect, if not then good reverb but it won't quite sound the same.
Washburn WI-64
Jackson DK2
Randall RM100C
Digitech RP200A
Digitech DF-7
Digitech Phase Shifter
Boss OS-2
Boss Bf-2
Quote by TehJermie
a lot of what youre hearing is studio effects. youre not going to get that with your current gear.

Well the version I enjoy most is the live version done by mike on the "One nation under a groove" album. But yeah if that is true that I cannot achieve that "enclosed room" type of sound with my fuzz I will have to reconsider.

Thank you
^ one thing to keep in mind is the room you're playing in. room dynamics and acoustic properties have a huge effect on what you're hearing. anyway, for me that song was never about the tone, it was all about the feeling.
Quote by TehJermie
^ one thing to keep in mind is the room you're playing in. room dynamics and acoustic properties have a huge effect on what you're hearing. anyway, for me that song was never about the tone, it was all about the feeling.

It is really an amazing song, i find that the tone is equally beautiful however.

At the start of the song make sure your tone is turned down to give it the "woman tone" feel..but eventually it's turned up and a lot more trebley. Hopefully you have some sort of delay effect, if not then good reverb but it won't quite sound the same.

I do have a delay, also I am not entirely sure what woman tone you are talking about sorry, are you speaking of the big muff or the wah? Pardon my ignorance.
Quote by DAaaMan64
It is really an amazing song, i find that the tone is equally beautiful however.

I do have a delay, also I am not entirely sure what woman tone you are talking about sorry, are you speaking of the big muff or the wah? Pardon my ignorance.

The Woman tone is the Eric Clapton tone with the neck pickup and tone knob rolled down (eg Sunshine of your Love)
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure