I am planning on buying a Boss DD20 soon, and other pedals in the future.
I already have a Dunlop wah pedal and I power it with the Dunlop power adaptor that came with it when i ordered it (an extra 40 bucks Australian)

My question is should I just by the power adaptors that come with the pedals (from the same company of the pedal, which i spose are made for that particualar pedal.)
or,
should i buy a visual sound 1 spot power supply or something similar and use daisy chains to power my pedals. Ive heard that this method creates more noise and hum on your amp.

What is the advantages/disadvantages of each method?

The only i can see is that daisy chains just mean that you only take up one outlet on your powerboard, whereas using each adaptor on a seperate outlet for each pedal uses up more outlets (an outlet on your powerboard for each pedal you are powering)

I dont want to buy a power brick like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power coz they are heaps expensive and i can't see the advantages it has over the other methods to justify its price. So basically which is a better way to power your pedals, daisy chains or single adaptors for each pedal?
My Gear

Guitars:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Standard Strat

Cort Acoustic

Amp:
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 201

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
a powerbrick usually kills the buzz issue that the OneSpot creates. might be worth the money.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
bump
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
i would go for the gator gbus-8 which is $80

when i went to guitar center today to check out the sparkle drive and the 1-spot it was hooked up to was buzzing like hell
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Last edited by Phax at Jul 14, 2007,
bump
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
The one spot won't power the dd-20. The DD20 takes 18v power, while the onespot and godlyke are 9 volts. I would get a power brick, or the gator pedal totes, they come with a gbus 8 power brick for $99, and can power 18 v and 9v.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
So daisy chains hum and buzz, but does using the pedal's manufacturer's power adaptor for each seperate pedal create hum like a daisy chain?

Are the 9v and 18v cables of the power bricks like the Gator as reliable as the manufacturer power adaptor?
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Also whats wrong with just plugging each pedal seperately using the manufacturers power adaptor into a seperate outlet on a power board. All i can think of is it just takes up more outlets on the power board, and may take longer to set up by plugging each pedal in individually, and may take up more room on a pedalboard. But sound, performance and reliabilty wise is there any problems, or advantages that daisy chains or power bricks have?
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Don't get the idea that it's daisy chains that cause hum and buzz alone, a big part of whether or not they hum is the pedal constructions. Certain parts in pedals can be put too close together, and can create hum and noise, it's not necessarily the DC's fault.

Power bricks are pretty reliable, depending on what you get, I myself prefer the dunlop power brick to the Gbus, however, the gbus is a decent power brick.

The advantage to a power brick is that it houses separate power supplies for each output. Not like a daisy chain.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster

The advantage to a power brick is that it houses separate power supplies for each output. Not like a daisy chain.

So whats the advantage of that? (having seperate power supplies)

Basically all i wanna know is should i a) buy the power adaptors from the manufacturer each time I buy a pedal and just plug them all into a power board
or b) buy a dasiy chain or c) a power brick. Which is the cheapest and most effective causing least buzz and hum, i dont mind taking up space on a pedalboard with power adaptors.
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Quote by guitar_guru_28
So whats the advantage of that? (having seperate power supplies)

Basically all i wanna know is should i a) buy the power adaptors from the manufacturer each time I buy a pedal and just plug them all into a power board
or b) buy a dasiy chain or c) a power brick. Which is the cheapest and most effective causing least buzz and hum, i dont mind taking up space on a pedalboard with power adaptors.

separate current for each pedal, clean power, since none of the other pedals interfere with the power chain. kinda like dsl (brick) and cable (daisy chain). dsl: everyone has their own "pool" of energy, cable: much bigger pool, but we all have to share it.

cheapest and most effective don't go together in this case. just get a brick, it's far less to deal with than multiple power adaptors.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Jul 14, 2007,
the PP2 really is worth the cash. isolated outputs, and 18v taps also. dont think its a single transformer design like most other power supplies.
I might get a power brick when i can afford it but id rather buy all my pedals first and just buy the power adaptors for them and when i feel the need to upgrade ill get a power brick of some sort. But in the mean time power adaptors will just have to do, and it sounds like they are better than daisy chains anyway.

thanks alot for all your help Reincaster, it is much appreciated
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
well... i wouldn't do it that way... unless you want to waste money for separate power adapters that cost around $20(?) each
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Quote by Phax
i would go for the gator gbus-8 which is $80

when i went to guitar center today to check out the sparkle drive and the 1-spot it was hooked up to was buzzing like hell

+1. Love that thing. I need to buy some adapters to fit all of my pedals though. My RAT and Flanger don't plug into it.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Phax
well... i wouldn't do it that way... unless you want to waste money for separate power adapters that cost around $20(?) each

But at the moment i can only afford the DD20, i cant afford a power brick too, and besides i only have one pedal plus the DD20 which i hope to get soon so it just seems like a waste buying a power brick when its only powering two pedals (yeah i know in the long run it will be best because i will get more pedals but for the meantime I just wanna buy the adaptors for the pedals and just plug em all in seperately - i dont see whats so bad about this???? Its not going to cause hum like a daisy chain is it??? And i figure once i have all the pedals i want, then ill invest in a power brick so i know exactly what it has to power and how many pedals, what brand etc. And i dont plan on having a thousand pedals either, I prefer to buy a few expensive pedals than a heap of cheap ones so i reckon ill have 7 or 8 pedals max so i still reckon buying the individual adaptors could be cheaper consider the Power bricks are over $350 in Australia. For that price I could get another pedal which id much rather do. It just seems to me like you buy a power brick after youve bought all your pedals and have the spare cash, not before
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Get it through your HEAD. a daisy chain does not cause hum and buzz. Certain pedals, like the older version of the planet waves pedal tuner had parts that induced hum when they were put close together on the board. That caused alot of hum. However, once they updated it, no more noise. If you get high quality pedals like you say you are, you won't need to worry about noise.

Secondly having a bunch of power adaptors is just a bunch of clutter, not to mention you'll have to bring a power strip that can accomodate all of those power adaptors. That's just more to bring, when you really don't have to.

Also, if you get a godlyke power supply, you can get the step up converter, which allows you to power up to 18v pedals.

http://tunnelvisionmusic.com/Pedal-Power-Supplies-p-1-c-273.html

They ship international for cheap. I once checked they're shipping quotes to sweden, $30 for 3 pedals.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Jul 14, 2007,
Get it through your HEAD. a daisy chain does not cause hum and buzz. Certain pedals, like the older version of the planet waves pedal tuner had parts that induced hum when they were put close together on the board. That caused alot of hum. However, once they updated it, no more noise. If you get high quality pedals like you say you are, you won't need to worry about noise.

The 1-spot does cause hum even when it's not plugged in to a pedal and there's not daisy chain attached. I don't know if it's because it doesn't ground well or what, but I've tried everything, and the thing causes hum. (not just at my house. I tried it at other places too.) I have the DD-20, the 535Q Dunlop Wah, and a visual sound volume pedal and it doesn't matter what order they are in, it hums no matter what.