Hey I'm looking to buy my first tube amp after spending three years with my Marshall MG15CD. I currently have just a zoom G2.1U pedal which kinda makes up for some of crappy quality of that amp. I have a few queries and despite playing on/off for about 4 years, I have to admit I am a total Noob when it comes to effects set ups!

- I had my eye on the Marshall DSL 401 Combo, since it's about the best amp i can find in my price range. (I live in Ireland, where everything is WAY more expensive than USA from what I can gather from online). I play mostly rock/alternative style music. Is this amp worth the money? What other alternatives should I be looking it in that price range/style?

- What should I do with my Zoom pedal? I never used the crunch channel on the MG amp, so i'm not really used to dealing with Amp effects etc... Should I ditch it in favour of other individual pedals used in conjunction with the amp effects? (This question mightn't even make sense... As i said i really haven't a clue how Amp effects work in conjunction with pedals! If someone could fill me in that'd be great!)

- If there's a thread about pedal & Amp set up advice that covers most of this, could someone point me towards it? Thanks!

Thanks in advance,
A Noob in Distress.
"You shank my jenga ship!" - Homsar
Well I have been playing at home til now, but my i've recently joined a band, which was one of the reasons for deciding to get a bigger amp. That's another thing, is the 40W Combo big enough to bring along to smallish gigs? Thanks!
Quote by Johnny G
Well I have been playing at home til now, but my i've recently joined a band, which was one of the reasons for deciding to get a bigger amp. That's another thing, is the 40W Combo big enough to bring along to smallish gigs? Thanks!

It's more than big enough, you'll be fine

If the DSL has an effects loop you could put the zoom pedal through that, bypass the amp models and use the modulation effects and such.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I live in Ireland too and i agree that most things are way more expensive but marshalls don't aren't. We get ripped off on Peaveys whereas Americans get ripped off on Marshalls. So yes i would certainly reccomend the DSL401. It's a great amp, try to get it used though if you're willing to buy used, that was you'll get it way cheaper leaving money over for some good OD's and FX
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Thanks guys! You've no idea how much this is helping!
One last thing, In general, are multi-effects pedal like that zoom one worse quality than buying individual wah/distortion/delay pedals?
Quote by Johnny G
One last thing, In general, are multi-effects pedal like that zoom one worse quality than buying individual wah/distortion/delay pedals?

Yes, unless you're comparing a top-of-the-line multi-fx with a £10 behringer pedal.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
zoom pedals arent that great maybe try the line 6 floorboard or a korg toneworks i think thats what its called
Originally Posted by timi_hendrix
Gibsons are pure crap, they're made of plywood and don't even have real pickups. Just sponges with silver paint on them and a small spanish man named Pepé inside squealing.
Quote by Johnny G

Yes, single pedals are for the most part better but if you like the tones you get from the Zoom you shouldn't change it. The only problem you might find is that digital pedals such as the zoom don't always sound great with tube amps. I had an ME-50 which i loved but when i bought my Vox it just didn't sound good enough and sucked a lot of my tone. You'll have to just buy the amp and if you don't like the zoom with it just sell it and buy some analogue(single) pedals instead
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Definitely try the DSL, I personally really like those.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by Bossman123
You'll have to just buy the amp and if you don't like the zoom with it just sell it and buy some analogue(single) pedals instead

Analogue does not = single. Digital pedals can have its pros and cons over analogue. Some people prefer it.

To threadstarter, Yes single is almost always better than multi effect pedals. That isnt to however that if you are happy with your zoom you should sell it and get singles, just do what sounds good to you and your ear for what sounds better will improve. No point dropping a few hundred on new pedals and in a few months you relize its not what you wanted exactly.