ive been playin guitar for about 2 years now nd ive had lessons for a year i think im getting quite good but my mum and dad are saying i now have to start paying for my lessons myself and thats quite alot for a 16 year old to pay with a crappy washing up job! they are £10.50 each
should i carry on with them or just carry on but teach myself???
Quote by i_hate_guitars
ive been playin guitar for about 2 years now nd ive had lessons for a year i think im getting quite good but my mum and dad are saying i now have to start paying for my lessons myself and thats quite alot for a 16 year old to pay with a crappy washing up job! they are £10.50 each
should i carry on with them or just carry on but teach myself???

I would say keep the lessons. It could take you months or years to learn something that a lesson could teach you in an hour. Stay with it my friend.
~ the early bird gets the worm, but its the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese...
i have so much stuff to learn and so much informations saved on my computer that im asking myself to quit my lessons ...

a teacher sometimes can boost you confidence and your playing-moral (sp?)

EdiT: I'll quit my lessons ^^
Not really needed, I've been having lessons for just about a year now and I'm thinking I should be calling it quits soon, I had been playing 2 years before I started my lessons so I went through stuff pretty quickly, and now it's getting to the point where he can only really teach me stuff that I probably won't even use anyway.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Quote by Anything Goes
Not really needed, I've been having lessons for just about a year now and I'm thinking I should be calling it quits soon, I had been playing 2 years before I started my lessons so I went through stuff pretty quickly, and now it's getting to the point where he can only really teach me stuff that I probably won't even use anyway.

depends on the teacher
Listen to my songs!

Hate Unleashed
"The song itself is simply awesome." - British Steel about Hate Unleashed
"Really good." - DarkTom666 about Hate Unleashed
A Pleasant Point

Crit for crit
Quote by Ed T H
depends on the teacher

Well he did graduate from Berkley so I'm sure he knows quite a bit.
Quote by Anything Goes

Even great musicians take lessons. Getty Lee was still taking lessons after Rush had made several albums and GREAT commerical success. Thinking you don't need lessons after only two or three years of playing is crazy. I have been playing guitar for 26 years (I played sax, drums and piano before that), and I don't claim to know everything. You can never learn too much...

Good Luck
I took lessions for almost 2 years, and my instructor said he had nothing left to teach me, and that I could could come in and learn songs if I wanted, but that I could stop and be fine. I'd have stayed but I didn't have the money (My mom stopped paying)

If you think you've learned everything you've needed to be the guitarist you want to be (You can't really ever learn everything) then you should stop. I could've seen a more advanced instructor but I thought I learned everything I needed to for my style of music.
Quote by lylewithans182
I took lessions for almost 2 years, and my instructor said he had nothing left to teach me, and that I could could come in and learn songs if I wanted, but that I could stop and be fine. I'd have stayed but I didn't have the money (My mom stopped paying)

If you think you've learned everything you've needed to be the guitarist you want to be (You can't really ever learn everything) then you should stop. I could've seen a more advanced instructor but I thought I learned everything I needed to for my style of music.

If Frank Zappa, Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai was your guitar teacher you'd still be learning my friend. You had a very limited guitar teacher IMO. There is so much to learn, different styles (remember Randy Rhodes studied classical guitar, but became a rock guitarist, you can hear the classical influences in his playing), Music theroy is huge. Learning the guitar is more than just learning how to play a few notes.
Quote by lylewithans182
I took lessions for almost 2 years, and my instructor said he had nothing left to teach me

Then your teacher sucks. Or you told him/her at some point that you didn't want too much theory. In which case shame on you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would want to keep the lessons, but if you are not going to use what you learn a year of lessons is sufficient for a hobbyist or one who does small gigs. Just don't forget what you have learned and when you get a little more money coming in I would seriously consider taking up the lessons again. You can't know too much about music if you love it. If you are seriously considering a professional career in music (performing, session artist) the education will pay off.
If you want the money for something else at the moment, then quit the lessons. Go back when you have more money to spare, and I highly recommend that you do eventually go back.

Or just whine at your parents until they agree to pay for it
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Then your teacher sucks. Or you told him/her at some point that you didn't want too much theory. In which case shame on you.

My instructor was an excellent guitar player, but he instructed me on building speed, learning songs, and how to write songs. I didn't have the money to shell out $80 a month to keep taken lessons, I was happy with how much I learned, and happy with my ability to write songs. And if I had the money, I would certainly take them to improve my ability.
Last edited by lylewithans182 at Jul 13, 2007,
Quote by Anything Goes

its Berklee.

and going to berklee doesnt mean ****.
i went there.
Quote by scottybharris
If Frank Zappa, Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai was your guitar teacher you'd still be learning my friend. You had a very limited guitar teacher IMO. There is so much to learn, different styles (remember Randy Rhodes studied classical guitar, but became a rock guitarist, you can hear the classical influences in his playing), Music theroy is huge. Learning the guitar is more than just learning how to play a few notes.

Rhoads*
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I wonder what kind guitarist I would've been WITH lessons. Life's a funny old thing...
Quote by scottybharris
Even great musicians take lessons. Getty Lee was still taking lessons after Rush had made several albums and GREAT commerical success. Thinking you don't need lessons after only two or three years of playing is crazy. I have been playing guitar for 26 years (I played sax, drums and piano before that), and I don't claim to know everything. You can never learn too much...

Good Luck

I think you missed my point, I've been taught the stuff I wanted to know. It's at the point now where the stuff he's teaching me, I "know" I won't be using it so why shell out cash for stuff I won't use.

And remember kiddies it's Music Theory, not Music Fact.
Randy Rhoads travelled with a guitar teacher to teach him new stuff, and NEW IDEAS.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Quote by chea_man
its Berklee.

and going to berklee doesnt mean ****.
i went there.

wtf man, its UC Berkley.

or is there somethign i'm not getting. some hidden messaeg? Joke? confusion?
haha.
Quote by lylewithans182
My instructor was an excellent guitar player, but he instructed me on building speed, learning songs, and how to write songs. I didn't have the money to shell out $80 a month to keep taken lessons, I was happy with how much I learned, and happy with my ability to write songs. And if I had the money, I would certainly take them to improve my ability.

Someone can be as good a guitar player as you like, it doesn't make them a good teacher, I'm not too bad but I wouldn't trust myself to teach the basics to anyone, let alone anything advanced.

A teacher who believes they have nothing left to teach is not a good teacher, there is always something left to teach.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.