hello all. im needing advice on which the following part of the tab means, i know i have to mute the strings twice, however, how do i get it to make a sound once let along twice? Ive done a search for this and nothing i could find as i im sure it isnt palm muting

0 - - 2
1 x x 1
0 x x 2
2 x x 0
3 - - -
- - - -

This is just one small part for "past recdes" by frusciante. as id just like to know what i am supposed to do with regarding the muting?

Thanks all..

*edit having grief showing how the tab looks
that are dead notes, no pm! Just "scratch" the strings!
Last edited by Rocko_Green at Jul 13, 2007,
You know the 'scratch' noise you make if you put your hands across the strings and don't actually fret the notes, just deaden the strings? That's what you're looking to do here. So...I would say the best approach here is to lift your fingers just enough to deaden the notes.
hi, thanks. Sorry i dont quite understand, do you mean just press down ligthly with the right or left hand? and "scratching"? or mute with right hand whilst hitting them slightly?
sorry if im appearing a dumb ass but i dont actually get it
Quote by acoustic_youth
hi, thanks. Sorry i dont quite understand, do you mean just press down ligthly with the right or left hand? and "scratching"? or mute with right hand whilst hitting them slightly?
sorry if im appearing a dumb ass but i dont actually get it

Mute it with your left hand (assuming you're a righty guitarist). In other words, your fretting hand.
After playing the first chord, let off the strings with your left hand quickly and kind of lay it with the palm facing down, flat, and perpendicular to the guitar neck. You want to apply just enough pressure to mute the strings when you pluck them, but not enough pressure so you're actually fretting notes. It's weird at first, but it's a cool and easy technique once you get the hang of it.
And don't worry, you don't sound like a dumbass. Everyone learns new guitar techniques at some time or another, right?
awesome cheers man, thats kind of cleared it up. one more thing, i take it it doesnt matter where along the fretboard i mute the strings as long as there muted right?
Quote by acoustic_youth
awesome cheers man, thats kind of cleared it up. one more thing, i take it it doesnt matter where along the fretboard i mute the strings as long as there muted right?

Sort of, actually. If your hand is hovering directly over certain spots (in between the 5th and 6th frets, 7th and 8th frets, a lot of the 3rd fret, etc.) you may find you're producing natural harmonics instead of dead notes. There are still plenty of spots that work, though. Just screw around with it until you get the sound you like. If you want a great example of muting strings, listen to "Doin' the Cockroach" by Modest Mouse. It's practically got an entire interlude devoted to it.
Hope that helps.
Ai man. yeh yeh i see. cheers for taking your time to answer my question. ok il av a gander at that soing later