i'm buying a VC30 pretty soon and with a bit of a luck a les paul custom shortly after to achieve a nice classic tone, i'm aiming for something like Jimmy Page's earlier stuff in Led Zeppelin noticeable in songs such as Dazed and Confused.

I'm not sure how well this amp will be able to achieve this tone so i'd like some help choosing some decent pedals to add to it.

so i'm looking for a wah wah somewhat like Jimmy Page's and some other fancy stuff that i can play around with i'm not sure where to start so im hoping thats where you guys will come in.

Thanks a lot
Depending on your price range, get a wah pedal that's like the old Vox Clyde McCoy

And if you can crank the amp, you'll be fine for the OD
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I thought he played a tele for the most part in their early days?
^^ either way its not going to be far off.

ye i can't crank the amp because i live in a flat unfortunately. so which overdrive should i be looking at?
I know of one, but it's expensive, obscure, and a pain in the ass to get a hold of.

EDIT: On the plus side, it sounds just like Jimmy's amp on the early recordings.
^Maybe a Fulltone OCD or an English Muff'n. My VC30 doesn't have much OD.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
On Zeppelin I, Page used a Fender Champ w/ a Tonebender Fuzz, a tape delay, and a Fender Telecaster.

Carls Custom Guitars makes a Jimi/Jimmy pedal that replicates Hendrix's Fuzz Face and Page's Tonebender.

BYOC makes a Tonebender MKII clone (which is what Page used)

Both of the above can be had for less than $100.

The tape delay is a bit expensive (I think the tapes alone are $300), but the Boss DD-20 or the EHX Memory Man are good alternatives.

My early Page tone with the Twin, SD-1, Fuzz Factory, Picture Wah, and Tele is perfect.
Last edited by colin617 at Jul 13, 2007,
To get a Page tone, you should get a Vox wah, Fulltone OCD or Tube Screamer, an MXR Phase 90, a violin bow, and an echo pedal
page merely used wahs as treble boast duiring solos, didnt use a wah wah effect. And he used a crybaby i think
He used the wah a lot (well, not a lot, but not just as a treble boost)

and it was a VOX wah
Quote by Varkunus
page merely used wahs as treble boast duiring solos, didnt use a wah wah effect. And he used a crybaby i think

Crybabys weren't around during the early 70's, at least not the crappy ones produced by Dunlop. He used a Vox. It might have been a Vox Crybaby, but it was still a Vox.

It's the same circuit, actually, with a few minor changes from model to model. But modern Voxes are better than Dunlops.

If you can build/get an old Tonebender Mk II, please do. That's a big part of Page's early sound.
Quote by colin617
On Zeppelin I, Page used a Fender Champ w/ a Tonebender Fuzz, a tape delay, and a Fender Telecaster.

Wrong he used a 1x12 (originally 2x10) Supro Coronado amp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ive gone to guitar shops with the intent to find a good Page tone myself and from what i found a marshall 1959SLP amp a cry baby wah, or a vox wah, and the best fuzz pedal for his tone i found the EH big Muff pedal did a good job, although the marshall amp is VERY! expensive those pedals should do nicely with the VC30 i think
Quote by Gabel
Wrong he used a 1x12 (originally 2x10) Supro Coronado amp.

I hate Jimmy Page. He's the reason those little Supros cost so much money!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
he didnt only use the tonebender, theres the maestro fuzz too and if im not wrong, 1 or 2 more classic fuzzes.
Here's a site that list a lot of the stuff mentioned above, plus a few more items Jimmy used.

Jimmy's equipment list
---------------------------------
Guitar: Epi Les Paul standard (57' PAF pups)

Amp: Fender 30w dsp

Effects: Dunlop 535Q wah
Boss TU-2
Boss DD-3
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez TS9
Quote by suckasucks
he didnt only use the tonebender, theres the maestro fuzz too and if im not wrong, 1 or 2 more classic fuzzes.

Actually, Roger Mayer built some of his early fuzz pedals specifically for Jimmy Page.

Also, Page owns over 1500 guitars and amps, so specifically pointing out what is what is quite difficult with him. Page admits that often times tracks were doubled and re-recorded and spliced together using various types of guitars and amps to get whatever sound he had in his head.

And Gabe, I could have sworn that the Champ was used on Zeppelin I. I may be wrong, but I know I read it somewhere.
Well actualy it was a Supro, I have many sources that claims it and Jimmy Page himself used to call it his studio secret in an interview.

Jimmy was also a very good friend with Roger Mayer who I think did some work on his ToneBender too.

Jimmy also used very extensive studio and recording techniques, which gave him a big part of his sound.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by cokeisbetter

It's the same circuit, actually, with a few minor changes from model to model. But modern Voxes are better than Dunlops.

But the old dunlops are good. You can get them at flea markets for, like, 30 bucks.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.