Hey,

I've decided that I want to start putting a guitar together, by buying all neccesary parts, adding a bit of customization and putting them together.
But as this is my first time, I just wanna ask a few questions,

1. Is a Strat or Tele body easier to work with when it comes to assembling?
2. Is it easier to find parts for a Tele or Strat?
3. Can I put any sort of neck on any body or is that not possible?

Thanks!

Sean
Tele bodies are pretty easy for a first build, hard tail is easier, but not by much. Tele wiring is also a little easier too.

You can find the parts for either really easily

You can use any neck you like pretty much, as long as the scale length is right, and you can make the neck fit the pocket
if ur gonn abuy all the parts, both would be really easy. neck should fit very firmly in the body, and u can just bolt it on. nothing hard. as of wiring, both are really easy. just follow schematics, and wiring diagrams.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
You generally want to use the same neck. Tele necks won't fit Strat pockets without modification. Also, have you given thought to buying a kit?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Also, have you given thought to buying a kit?

Having built a kit, I'd not recommend anyone else do it! I replaced so much from the kit to make my Saga Telecaster what I wanted, that I might as well have bought a body and neck and made got all the bits myself.

Having said that, the Saga build was pretty good fun!
Quote by Dirk Gently
You generally want to use the same neck. Tele necks won't fit Strat pockets without modification. Also, have you given thought to buying a kit?

Yea thats the important thing Tele necks won't fit a Strat body BUT a Strat neck WILL fit a Tele body. Also accourding to Warmoth since Fender originated the bolt on neck many companies use that sized neck/neck pocket (Ibanez, Kramer, ESP, Schecter accourding to Warmoth, not sure which are the others under the "etc." they mention but at the same time I'm not 100% positive those above mentioned necks would fit for sure. )
Quote by mark_wuk
Having built a kit, I'd not recommend anyone else do it! I replaced so much from the kit to make my Saga Telecaster what I wanted, that I might as well have bought a body and neck and made got all the bits myself.

Having said that, the Saga build was pretty good fun!

I think it depends on the kit quality. For example, a Carvin Bolt kit will give you a guitar the same quality as Carvin's Bolt guitars. You could also pay $1,000 for a DIY "kit" from a place like Warmoth and get a guitar that rivals any high end Fender (which is something I've thought of doing myself).
Hi, I'm Peter
Well, you get what you pay for, so a $1000 kit is obviously going to be pretty good, but it still doesn't give you the freedom to do exactly what you want, which was more my point. I never built the Saga kit to get a top of the range guitar, I built it for the fun/experience, but I also changed everything to what I wanted, it would have been as easy to buy everything seperately.
Yeah, forget the kit. Just piece it together. You'll love it more in the end.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
That is exactly what I'm doing. I've just orderd everything from warmoth.
My first build or rather asemble to. I'll post pics once i have the parts. I bought a guitar book as guide that covers alot of different guitars.

Body: Single Piece Solid Body Swamp Ash, Sunburst
Neck: Birdseye maple on Birdseye maple
Pickups: Seymour Duncan Vintage Hot
Pickgaurd: Black/Red/Black
Hardware: Chrome

I'll post pics once i get started. You should too then we have like little competition, see who's Tele looks the best,