So, I'm taking a plane to China. I contacted the airline. No luggage bigger than a certain size. At all. Unfortunately, a guitar case is bigger than this predetermined size. I really wanna take my guitar though. It's a volunteer trip, and it's gonna be with like 50 people I don't know, and I'm kinda introvertical, so I really have no intention of trying to get to know them. So, basically, if i don't bring my guitar, I'll be bored to death. Would you guys suggest taking it apart? So they can both fit in my luggage? Thanks in advance.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Just buy a guitar in China for cheap
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
Quote by grantml02
Just buy a guitar in China for cheap

I like my guitar.
Gear...
You could take it apart, but make sure you know how to put it back together. Why have a restriction on the size of luggage anyway? Just get a bigger plane.
Quote by guitars93
You could take it apart, but make sure you know how to put it back together. Why have a restriction on the size of luggage anyway? Just get a bigger plane.

Volunteer trip. Everything is regulated.
Gear...
It's not worth it, just don't take the guitar; There are too many things that could go wrong, leaving you with no guitar.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
I was anticipating a thread about the movie... Oh well. Don't take it, if you put it in luggage it could get lost.
NOPE.
Quote by The Leader
It's not worth it, just don't take the guitar; There are too many things that could go wrong, leaving you with no guitar.

What could go wrong?

I know I sound like a dick, but...seriously, I'll be bored to death without it.
Gear...
i'm chinese and i visit almost once a year. if you bring your guitar on the plane, you're gonna have to pay for an extra seat. however, if you want to take the risk, you can go for oversized luggage. that's what i did, and i think it ****ed the trem up.

the best idea is to buy a cheap one. you can get one that's not awful for about 800 RMB (about $100 US). if you have any chinese friends fluent in the language, get them to bargain for it. sellers always try to kill "foreigners" on the price of their stuff (as in up to three times as much).

i once saw a guy selling these crappy little figurines and he was like "3 yuan, 20 for foreigners" and i laughed my ass off. but anyways, if you know anyone fluent in chinese have them try to make a deal. i got a guitar with an amp and all the accessories for about 75% of the original price of the guitar alone.
Quote by charvel_man
I was anticipating a thread about the movie... Oh well. Don't take it, if you put it in luggage it could get lost.

I wouldn't mind putting it in my carry on and not brining any snacks and stuff.
Gear...
dont take it. by volunteer trip, im assuming its like a work trip? you probably wont even have time to play much. and itll be one more thing to look after and lug around with you. dont do it man. just try and talk to the other people. you might make friends. how long is it anyway?
Quote by psilocyndreams2
i'm chinese and i visit almost once a year. if you bring your guitar on the plane, you're gonna have to pay for an extra seat. however, if you want to take the risk, you can go for oversized luggage. that's what i did, and i think it ****ed the trem up.

the best idea is to buy a cheap one. you can get one that's not awful for about 800 RMB (about $100 US). if you have any chinese friends fluent in the language, get them to bargain for it. sellers always try to kill "foreigners" on the price of their stuff (as in up to three times as much).

i once saw a guy selling these crappy little figurines and he was like "3 yuan, 20 for foreigners" and i laughed my ass off. but anyways, if you know anyone fluent in chinese have them try to make a deal. i got a guitar with an amp and all the accessories for about 75% of the original price of the guitar alone.

Lol, I'm chinese. Speak fluently too.

And the schedule is, everyone gets back at 6, and does whatever they want 'til lights out at 11. So, yeah. 6 Hours. The trip is 3 weeks long.
Gear...
If you have a back-up that you don't mind getting messed up or lost, take that. I would never take my main guitar as anything other than carry-on, but it's probably too big for that.
Quote by Captain Insano
Invest in a Mandolin. Or buy a second seat.

I'm surrounded by funny men.

Can't buy a second seat unfortunately. Blew all my money on junk. And no second guitar either (Well, there is one, but it's sold pending funds.) More tips?
Gear...
get a hard case and put it in luggage, or if its electric with a bolt on neck take the neck off
Awwwww I was hoping this thread would be about the movie...

Anyway, I flew from Baltimore to New Orleans with an acoustic guitar in regular luggage, but they gave it special care when handling it (I saw through the plane window haha). It was in a well-padded soft case, and was fine.
Dem Dry Bones
Current read: I Am America (And You Can Too) (Stephen Colbert)
Album of the Week: Four Thieves Gone (The Avett Brothers)
Surely can't be serious!
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Quote by iforgot539
Surely can't be serious!

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Definitely one of my favouite movies.
Dem Dry Bones
Current read: I Am America (And You Can Too) (Stephen Colbert)
Album of the Week: Four Thieves Gone (The Avett Brothers)
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
get a hard case and put it in luggage, or if its electric with a bolt on neck take the neck off

A whole guitar won't fit. Hence my idea for Taking it apart.
Gear...