Wasnt quite sure where to put this but here ya go....I popped my high e string the other day so i bought another to replace it. The problem is when I was tightening the string all of a sudden it would loosen while i was still tightening it. So i tightened it again and the same thing happened. I couldnt get it to go to e it would get to e flat and drop bak down to d. then when i jus give up and keep it in e flat....i pluck a single note lightly and the string pops...can someone explain to me what jus happened?
i think it's the string unwinding. I find it will happen some times, but i'm not exactly sure why it happens. Are you using a Floyd Rose or is it a stop end kinda thing?
Like they said the string is unwinding. Maybe you did something wrong around the tuning post, this happens to me a lot and always on this string. If you left a lot of slack then just take it a bit further past the original bend and make a new sharper one around the post and maybe even bend it around so the rest of the string overlaps the excess piece.

If that doesn't make sense I don't blame you I suck at explaining.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
some times the core of the string breaks but not the winding around it, so you tune up and then it pops back again. my advice is get a new string.
Quote by Kahz
Wasnt quite sure where to put this but here ya go....I popped my high e string the other day so i bought another to replace it. The problem is when I was tightening the string all of a sudden it would loosen while i was still tightening it. So i tightened it again and the same thing happened. I couldnt get it to go to e it would get to e flat and drop bak down to d. then when i jus give up and keep it in e flat....i pluck a single note lightly and the string pops...can someone explain to me what jus happened?

wrap it around the peg about 6 times and put a locking wind in...that will keep it in place.
I normally put a locking wind on all my unwound strings so they dont slip and break which is whats happening with you.

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/restring.htm

"Locking" method:

Again, the same method is used, but this time stop just before the peg has turned its first full turn (right before the unused part passes the string you're winding up). Grab the unused part, bend it to the right and loop it clockwise around the string post. Pull it up on the left side of the string, and bend it straight up (if not even a bit to the right). Keep the string stretched, and turn the tuning peg so that the string you're winding up passes over the part you just looped around and bent straight up. The idea is to lock the string at the start of the wind, again, to make the tuning more stable.