Hello people!

Recently iv been experimenting with the harmonic minor scale..

Iv hit a bit of a wall.. and short of playing the scale over my backing tracks over and over again.. i don't know what the hell to do with it..

I love the sound of it, and maybe i'm wrong, but not many people seem to use it.

however, can anyone recommend song songs that use this scale that i can listen to to get an idea of how to use it?

I'm more into prog metal and fusion than anything else, but i don't limit myself to just that.
So anything you can think of will help greatly!!

cheers!
Quote by mafropetee
Hey There Delilah was carefully designed by the world's top researchers to make girls want to have sex with whoever is playing it. That is its only purpose.

Gear:

Ibanez S470 - SH-6
Squier Showmaster - SH10 + TB-4
Epiphone Joe Pass Arch Top
I think Yngwie Malmsteen likes it. I'll try to find a song or two.

edit: Cliche, I suppose, but Far Beyond the Sun by Yngwie uses a lot of F# harmonic minor, or its modes. You might be familiar with it.

You can substitute phrygian dominant (the fifth mode of harmonic minor) sometimes for a situation where you might use Mixolydian. For instance, playing over a major chord or a dominant 7 chord, you could use the phrygian dominant scale with the same root as the chord. But, it could get a little tiring if overused, since it's a very distinct sound, so maybe use it sparingly for greater effect.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Last edited by psychodelia at Jul 13, 2007,
I think the Doors used to use the Harmonic Minor quite a lot, but that's probably not the kind of music you were looking for...
^^ cheers! Much appreciated =]
Quote by mafropetee
Hey There Delilah was carefully designed by the world's top researchers to make girls want to have sex with whoever is playing it. That is its only purpose.

Gear:

Ibanez S470 - SH-6
Quote by ch715dallat
most metal and shred uses it.

yea i know necrophagist use it.. maybe a bit too much.

And i love metal..but there's only so much repetition i can take.
Quote by mafropetee

Gear:

Ibanez S470 - SH-6
Quote by psychodelia
Cliche, I suppose, but Far Beyond the Sun by Yngwie uses a lot of F# harmonic minor, or its modes. You might be familiar with it.

No im not at all.. but il try to find it..

Thanks for your help
Quote by mafropetee

Gear:

Ibanez S470 - SH-6
Traditionally speaking, when you say minor, people assume Harmonic Minor. It was used a lot in classical. But if you want neoclassical, then pretty much everything by Yngwie Malmsteen.