can someone let me know some tips, what ever, to help me think outside the scale boxes?

note: i play shred metal.
use a lot of arpeggios, ive had that problem with improv lately

i just sat down, with all different types, basic 1 3 5 arpeggios, then arpeggios with 7ths

and i just went through all the possibilities, all the keys, all the different arps, and then some

you know take your major arpeggio, then your minor, then your diminished, then your augmented, then your sus2 and sus4, then your sus2 and sus4 with a diminished fifth, etc

then do the same with 7ths, those with natural 7ths, and then with b7's

then eventually start screwing with the modes with 7th arpeggios, like for lydian i like doing a 1 3 #4 5 7 1 arpeggio, incorperating the thing that makes lydian lydia, the sharp 4

and also, there was something satch said in an article a while back that helped me
to paraphrase him, it was something like:

'guitarists nowadays in a lot of their soloing work to connect the dots, and once you can get past that idea, you can do amazing things'

and its true, dont think that 2 gets you from 1 to 3, dont think in terms of stepping stones, each note is its own individual thing, and has its own purpose, and dont just follow a scale, jump around, start playing an arpeggio, then play a bit of the scale, and finish doing an arpeggio again, etc
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
yeah, i've been connecting the dots way too much. But its not that i can't play with out doing that, but i can't swith from note position to note position, say there was an E, C, D, power chord progression, i can play in E all day, but i can't just go to C, and D, as fast, i know where the scale pos. is, and i know the notes for those scales, but i can't play the transitions as easy.
then do it slow, everything starts slow, its taken me god knows how long and god knows how much work to be able to hit a medium speed with my improv and soloing

what i suggest doing is just doing all that i said before with arp's, and with scales too, just connect shapes, different octave shapes, exhaust all possibilities for octave combos and youll be able to see the stuff better and be able to switch faster
Quote by beadhangingOne
Learn solos by your favorite guitarists and incorporate their licks, patterns, and style into your playing.
then learn his stuff, spend a week learning speed metal symphony, analyze it, then apply it to your own solos
Quote by beadhangingOne
Even if you cannot actually play it, the practice and experience will benefit you in the long run. Go for it- even if it seems impossible, sit down and try to pick it apart. Whats the worst thing that could happen? "Oh damn, I can't play it", big deal, practice it anyway.
Becker's stuff was pretty helpful for me when I started. Many good shredders will have ideas that are still interesting when slowed down.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
i was reading som piano music the other day and it had some "broken" chords in there .
in case you don't know "broken" chords
are where you take a arpeggio of a chord and break it to equal chunks , at thats my understanding :

EX:1 A natural minor scale 2 octaves :

/-----------------------------------------5--/
/--------------------------------5-6-8-----/
/------------------------4-5-7-------------/
/------------------5--7---------------------/
/---------5--7-8---------------------------/
/-5-7-8------------------------------------/ 

Ex:2(a) :Edominant 7th arpegio

/-------------------------------------------/
/--------------7---9--------------------------/
/------6--9-----------------------------------/
/---7----------------------------------------/

Ex:2(b) :Edominant 7th arpegio (broken)

/-----------/-------------/---------------------------/
/-----------/-------------/---------------------------/
/-----------/-----------7/-----7--9-----------------/
/------6--9/---6--9----/--9------------------------/
/---7-------/------------/---------------------------/

ex:3 mixing it all up :

1 e  +   2  e    +  3     e  +   4      +       1   e  +     2     e  +   3  e  +         4     +
/----------------------------------------------/-----------------------------------------------------------/
/----------------------------------------------/-----------------------------------------------------------/
/----------------------------------------------/-------------------------7---------7-------5--------------/
/------------------------5---7----------------/-------6--9----6---9----------6--9----------------7----------/
/-----------  5--7--8----------8--7------5--/---7-------------------------------------------------------/
/--5--7-8------------------------------------/------------------------------------------------------------/ 

bar 1 and the last 2 beats use EX:1 most of bar 2 uses Ex:2(b)
Quote by facesofhope
maybe it's cause you play shred metal and all those guitarists can do is play scales

Maybe it's because you're a smallminded idiot with an attitude unbefitting of the musician you undoubtedly aren't.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
What i did was I took licks that were played in one scale box, and extended it throughout the neck. Take this e minor lick,

It's only based in one box of the e minor pentatonic scale, however you can easily open that lick to fit in other boxes of that sale, like this

Practicing stuff like that helped me quite a bit. Also, improvising in a paticular scale helps a lot too.

maybe it's cause you play shred metal and all those guitarists can do is play scales

whether you admit it or not, all any guitarist does is "play scales". they might not be in order, but that doesn't change that fact.

@resiliance, wow dude chill out. just because he doesn't like shredding doesn't mean you need to get all pissy.
Quote by Spamwise
@resiliance, wow dude chill out. just because he doesn't like shredding doesn't mean you need to get all pissy.

I wouldn't, if he had at least a clue of what he was talking about. I have an intolerance for stupidity and ignorance.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
I wouldn't, if he had at least a clue of what he was talking about. I have an intolerance for stupidity and ignorance.

i understand, however i'd say most of us had a period of time when we weren't as open minded about music as we are now. like when i was younger i thought that only music like ac/dc or van halen was "rock" and i didn't like anything else. now i like almost every genre. it's just a maturing thing.
Last edited by Spamwise at Jul 14, 2007,