I seen a Mark Hoppus bass, white with black pickguard on www.Kijiji.ca and a pawn shop is selling it. They want $500 but I sent an email to see if theres any dings, etc. I play guitar and I'm wanting to give bass a try and I could always sell it after.

I've only seen 2 white and black mark hoppus basses ever and I don't know if it's a rip off or if you could actually buy them like that?

Do you think the bass would be worth getting? I was about to get another amp for my guitar but im undecided on what I want to get. If I got this bass I could always sell it when I figure out what amp I want to get.

Is it worth $500? maybe I could even get it for $450? (CND)

I don't want to hear alternative basses, I love mark hoppus in a non gay way. Hes a cool dude and I've played the surf green model and my local music shop and THEY want like $475 and it has a huge chip on the bottom!

so help a brother out if you can. Not sure if my parents will let me get the bass because I play guitar and I told them I wanted an amp now so they will say why do you want a bass?

thanks!
Last edited by chrisx182 at Jul 13, 2007,
you are willing to buy that just cause it says "mark hoppus" on it?
i've never seen one in black btw
Quote by palfguy
you are willing to buy that just cause it says "mark hoppus" on it?
i've never seen one in black btw

It's white with a black pickguard.

And I've played the mark hoppus bass and it sounds pretty good. The reason I would buy it is because new they sell for a lot and I haven't seen many of these. I would love the daphne blue or surf green but I don't want to pay a lot.

this would be my first bass. I like playing bass, it's fun cause it's so easy. and the mark hoppus is just a cool bonus. I like the look of it. better then the P-basses like my friend has thats the same colour
anyone know if it's worth getting? and is 500 a good price? even 450 if he will take it?
Are you sure it's actually a Hoppus signature? It might just be a white J-Bass. If that's the case, you can get one for like 500$ brand new.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Quote by Ranxston
Are you sure it's actually a Hoppus signature? It might just be a white J-Bass. If that's the case, you can get one for like 500$ brand new.

It's got the "split peas" pickups and it doesn't look like a jazz bass. It has the engraved neckplate "MARK HOPPUS" but they didn't even show a pic of the back of the bass and it should be a string through body and a hardtail. so I better ask for more pics.

I did see one of these white and black ones on ebay once. so this one i'm talking about and the one on ebay are the only 2 I've seen but maybe there werent many made
Well first of all Bass is by no means easy. But to the subject I think if you are starting Bass you may want to get a cheaper Bass. If you have your heart set on this though I guess it is a good deal.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
i think it might be a replacement pickguard, looky here and see:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Mark-Hoppus-Signature-Bass-Guitar?sku=510843&src=3SOSWXXA

but other than that, it looks fine, if you want it go for it! just make sure you really do though, cuz an OLP or a Squier might be better just because they're cheaper, and good beginner basses so you know kind of what your going to be looking for in your next bass if you continue to keep it up.
Quote by BassRichardson
Well first of all Bass is by no means easy. But to the subject I think if you are starting Bass you may want to get a cheaper Bass. If you have your heart set on this though I guess it is a good deal.

For pop punk bass riffs, it's pretty easy. I'm not getting into funk or any slap bass.

And I'm not no beginner, so I don't want to get a cheap bass really.

I don't really absolutely have to have this bass, I just seen it and it got my attention. and if it's a good deal then I probably should get it. because if I bought it then decided to sell it later, I could probably get my money back as long as it's in new condition
then get it, dude i just wasn't sure if youd played bass or not, but if you have and your not a beginner then you should know what you like and what you dont like, so if your down with that style then do it, don't ask for advice. i mean, you can always earn money if thats what your worried about, but a bass is more fun then bills right?
Quote by lesclaypool101
i think it might be a replacement pickguard, looky here and see:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Mark-Hoppus-Signature-Bass-Guitar?sku=510843&src=3SOSWXXA

but other than that, it looks fine, if you want it go for it! just make sure you really do though, cuz an OLP or a Squier might be better just because they're cheaper, and good beginner basses so you know kind of what your going to be looking for in your next bass if you continue to keep it up.

so it looks like they just replaced the white pearloid with the black. thats cool with me. but im not a beginner, I can play. and like I said, if it's a good deal I'll go for it because If I decide to sell, I could probably get my money back as long as it's in new condition.

my friend thats in my band has a Squire P bass thats white and black but I like the mark hoppus look much better. the jazz style is much different then the P bass
ya so heres the thing. I would only buy it if it was a deal because if it's not a deal then I'd just buy something else. It's from a pawn shop so you'd think it was a deal? I'm set on playing guitar but thought I'd give bass a try and I seen this and thought it was cool because I have a tom delonge guitar and then if i got this I'd have both blink-182 members guitars. but yeah, don't think i'm obsessed with the band or anything. nice instruments though
Quote by lesclaypool101
well then, get in there bro!

okay, thanks for the help. I'll get emailing the shop thats selling it
If your heart is set on it, go for it. Nothing is stopping you from getting something you really want.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
I have a Surf green colour of the Mark Hoppus fender bass. It's brilliant, but remember there isn't a tone option so your stuck there (although I guess you could install one later on if you wish). I'd of loved to start with a Fender, just look after it as you will regret damaging it when you learn more.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have

At what is £250 it's a steal, I paid £315 for mine used in mint condition.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
the Mark Hoppus bass is a Jazz bass with a P, p-up. great idea. i bet a pawn shop will come off the price, some. offer $375, and see what happens. reselling it for about the same, should be no problem. good luck.
they do sell those dude, the original ones had white pick guards but on blink's self titled tour mark used black pick guards and so they changed them on the MH sig bass too. they are really nice basses, a bit over priced but $500 is an absolute bargain on one, even second hand.