So, can anyone tell me how to play in odd time signatures? I just don't understand it. I'm trying to learn blues out of this book, and everything is written in 12/8. And, I can't realy play it on time, because I don't know how to do it. Is there a metronome for this sort of thing? Any tips?

Thanks
12/8, subdivide the top number, divide it by 3, so you get 4. you have 4 groups of triplets. since an eight note gets a beat, and there are 3 eight notes per each 4 beat, a dotted quarter note gets a full beat
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
If you were to set a metronome, you'd just set it to a standard 4/4 signature. Though 12/8 is technically different, the basic feel of 12/8 is like playing 4 sets of triplets, one set per quarter note. In the same vein 6/8 is essentially 2 sets of triplets in a 2/4 time signature.
This is of course an inaccurate way to look at it, but it's the easiest way to go about learning it. It's rather difficult counting quickly to 12 over and over in your head for each measure.
Quote by SethMegadefan
If you were to set a metronome, you'd just set it to a standard 4/4 signature. Though 12/8 is technically different, the basic feel of 12/8 is like playing 4 sets of triplets, one set per quarter note.
Playing in 12/8 isn't like playing four sets of triplets. Playing in 12/8 is playing four sets of triplets.
In the same vein 6/8 is essentially 2 sets of triplets in a 2/4 time signature.
In the same vein, 6/8 is two sets of triplets.
This is of course an inaccurate way to look at it...
To the contrary, this way of "looking at it" is precisely accurate.
...but it's the easiest way to go about learning it. It's rather difficult counting quickly to 12 over and over in your head for each measure.
Not only is it rather difficult, it's entirely inaccurate and unnecessary.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
try some meshuggah. thatll get you used to odd time signatures.

then go back to 3/4 and it'll seem really easy
I want to feel youre body breaking, and shaking, and
left in the cold,
I want to feel youre conscience making, a change to fix
this dying soul....
Quote by gpb0216
Playing in 12/8 isn't like playing four sets of triplets. Playing in 12/8 is playing four sets of triplets.

Well... erm... yeah, I guess it is. Don't know what the hell I was getting at then...
To the contrary, this way of "looking at it" is precisely accurate.

Not only is it rather difficult, it's entirely inaccurate and unnecessary.

Ah... thanks then! I guess.