I just upgraded to an LTD F-50 from a generic beginner guitar, and I was wondering what I paid $200 for? Is my new LTD going to last me longer, is it just better quality? Just what exactly makes it better? After playing it, I can't really notice much of a difference when comparing it to my cheap, generic guitar. Here are the links to each guitar.

Generic Beginner Guitar:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drive-S101-Electric-Guitar-CD100-Amp-Package?sku=513442.

New LTD F-50:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-F50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516677
You really didn't get anything better.. just a different body shape..

you just wasted some moolah my friend
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
"fully equipped with 3 sweet single-coil pickups and 5-way switching for tone to the bone."

Also, the F-50 is pretty bad. Waste of money.
why would you spend 200 bucks on a guitar that isnt noticably better than your current one? tbh your new guitar isn't too great
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Quote by Doodleface
You really didn't get anything better.. just a different body shape..

you just wasted some moolah my friend

Well, I have noticed that it is a lot easier to tune, the top two strings don't make that horrible ringing noise my old one used to, and I really love the shape and look. So I don't think I wasted money on it, I was just wondering specifically what is better, other than what I've stated?
Quote by High_o
why would you spend 200 bucks on a guitar that isnt noticably better than your current one? tbh your new guitar isn't too great

Ok, what is different between a 1,000 strat, and my old one?
Quote by grip0fdeath
Ok, what is different between a 1,000 strat, and my old one?

better build quility, better pups, better hardware, better wood, plus you pay for the name FENDER
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

My Profile

Quote by High_o
better build quility, better pups, better hardware, better wood, plus you pay for the name FENDER

Alright, so wouldn't my $300 (on sale for $200) have a better build, better pups, better hardware, and better wood than my worn out $75ish guitar?
Quote by grip0fdeath
Alright, so wouldn't my $300 (on sale for $200) have a better build, better pups, better hardware, and better wood than my worn out $75ish guitar?

well, in this case, you are also paying for the "cool" shape of the guitar, which means that everything else is lowered. plus, if you cant tell teh difference, what is the point of having a "better" guitar?
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

My Profile

Quote by High_o
well, in this case, you are also paying for the "cool" shape of the guitar, which means that everything else is lowered. plus, if you cant tell teh difference, what is the point of having a "better" guitar?

Well, I can tell some differences like the ones I posted above, I just don't know anything about guitars, other than how to play tab, so I thought I would ask here about the specifics
Congratulations you bought the crappiest guitar ESP makes.

But seriously though I'd try to resell that thing as soon as possible to get some money back out of it. If you really want an LTD, anything in the 400 or 500 series is a safe bet as far as quality and specs and they're only a couple hundred more.
I can't really notice much of a difference when comparing it to my cheap, generic guitar.

Err did you even try it before purchasing it..? If so then why'd you still get it?

As for LTDs go you should've just saved up until you could buy one above the 400 series, if you did that then you'd have a great guitar and since you would've waited you would've appreciated it much more over your "generic starter guitar"
Last edited by Grimmy101 at Jul 14, 2007,
Quote by Grimmy101
Err did you even try it before purchasing it..? If so then wow..

As for LTDs go you should've just saved up until you could buy one above the 400 series, if you did that then you'd have a great guitar and since you would've waited you would've appreciated it much more over your "generic starter guitar"

No I didn't try it, I bought it online. How would I try it when buying online? We don't have any music shops around my area that would have it.
I dunno exactly how long ago you got it but personally I'd return it if I were you. Depending on how long you've been playing you probably can't notice differences between guitars yet. In my opinion it'd be better to just save and then get a nicer ESP in the future, 400 Series or above, but thats just my opinion.
My first guitar was a Bronze series warlock (****ty gutiar, i know, but I always wanted a warlock). From there i went to a LTD EX-50 about a year later. The EX was better that my warlock in that it was just a better feeling guitar to me and was newer and a more solid built instrument. A year and a half after getting my EX-50 i bought a EC-1000 in vintage black. And 6 months after that i bought another EC-1000 in See-Thru Black Cherry. If i were you, i wouldnt buy another cheap beginner guitar after your F-50. Your next guitar should be a really nice guitar that you shopped around for and played through some amps and are sure about. Go over the whole instrument and make sure you like everything about it. The way the pickups sound, the neck, the way is feels standing and playing and sitting and playing, the construction of it and everything. Your next guitar should be the guitar you've always wanted. Dont go with the cheap ones, just get the guitar you want next time, you'll be glad you did.
here ya go

you got better build quility, better pups, better hardware, better wood, plus you pay for the name ESP LTD. except, wasnt a very good one, i'd say you got a squire when you could of saved up and got a fender stratocadster
i suck but THATS OK!
Quote by Grimmy101
I dunno exactly how long ago you got it but personally I'd return it if I were you. Depending on how long you've been playing you probably can't notice differences between guitars yet. In my opinion it'd be better to just save and then get a nicer ESP in the future, 400 Series or above, but thats just my opinion.

I just got it today actually, could I return it for full money back guarantee with no reason though? It looks really kool :P
Quote by LeaveNoAshes
My first guitar was a Bronze series warlock (****ty gutiar, i know, but I always wanted a warlock). From there i went to a LTD EX-50 about a year later. The EX was better that my warlock in that it was just a better feeling guitar to me and was newer and a more solid built instrument. A year and a half after getting my EX-50 i bought a EC-1000 in vintage black. And 6 months after that i bought another EC-1000 in See-Thru Black Cherry. If i were you, i wouldnt buy another cheap beginner guitar after your F-50. Your next guitar should be a really nice guitar that you shopped around for and played through some amps and are sure about. Go over the whole instrument and make sure you like everything about it. The way the pickups sound, the neck, the way is feels standing and playing and sitting and playing, the construction of it and everything. Your next guitar should be the guitar you've always wanted. Dont go with the cheap ones, just get the guitar you want next time, you'll be glad you did.

Ah ok that's some good advice, ty. however, right now I am just 16, and have no job, so I didn't really have a way to save up for that dream guitar, but I must say I really love the look and feel of the one I bought.
why do people spend money on a guitar that they don't have any clue on how it sounds? wtf

well i mean the color is pretty so i bought it......
now now dont be mean, we've all made bad choices when it comes to gear.

grip0fdeath, if you're on a small budget, check out www.rondomusic.net . They have bang for the buck guitars. Agiles on a whole, are pretty good for the price.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
hes taking the steps he needs to take to work his way up to a great guitar, dont knock him for it.

begginer($200 or less) > cheap-o ($200-$400) > good ($400-$600) > great ($600 and up)

but thats how i look at it...

you made a fine choice. there is nothing wrong with that guitar as long as you dont think so. i have the F-100FM... its basically the same thing. i have NEVER had a problem. even with the cheaper LTD's your still getting a better guitar then any other guitar in that price range... good for you.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Guys, leave him alone.

Although, when you're done with this guitar, they are right. Get a 400 series or something, as they will be better.
R E G G A E
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
hes taking the steps he needs to take to work his way up to a great guitar, dont knock him for it.

begginer($200 or less) > cheap-o ($200-$400) > good ($400-$600) > great ($600 and up)

but thats how i look at it...

you made a fine choice. there is nothing wrong with that guitar as long as you dont think so. i have the F-100FM... its basically the same thing. i have NEVER had a problem. even with the cheaper LTD's your still getting a better guitar then any other guitar in that price range... good for you.

Yeah, I went from a LP Special to a sweet Ibanez RG today!
Quote by grip0fdeath
Ah ok that's some good advice, ty. however, right now I am just 16, and have no job, so I didn't really have a way to save up for that dream guitar, but I must say I really love the look and feel of the one I bought.

if you are happy with it, why ask what everyone else thinks?....if you ask a question here about your own gear,theres a pretty good chance most people here are gonna tell you it sucks.
Unless its some kind of ''vintage'' pile of fender crap,or a 10,000 dollar rip off from marshall
please just return it and save, i know it's a bitch to wait to have enough money, but then you can actually buy a guitar, you will be happy with for many years...you will want a better guitar in a year (or even sooner) if you keep playing the F50
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

That's funny, my first guitar was a Fender Mexi Standard Strat ($400), my second was an Epi G-400 Vintage ($300) and for my third I'm looking at an LTD EC-1000 ($800). What happened with me? :P

Quote by melchia
Various dismissals of people with more experience

OK dude, I guess it's cool to downplay the fact that he went from a $75 to a $200 guitar without putting any real thought into it, by saying that UG members are elitists. It's not as if you just joined UG last month or anything, no, not at all. I'm sure basswood is a better tone wood than plywood, I'm sure ESP's generic humbuckers are better than Drive's tin-cans-and-string singles for what he's playing if he bought an LTD, and I'm sure he likes the shape better. The problem is, your second guitar is supposed to be substantially better than your first. Or, failing that, noticably different in terms of tone. What he did was just buy a new guitar, blow all his limited income on something that he probably didn't need, but he wanted.

I'm not saying he won't like it, and I'm not saying it won't play well (it IS an LTD, after all) and I'm not saying it won't handle heavy stuff better (it has humbuckers), but I am saying it was probably poor foresight to buy a super low end LTD.

Plus he's gonna have the stigma of this guitar any time he buys a new guitar after this. Since he had the ultra-low-end LTD as his only experience he probably won't want to buy anymore LTDs, which is a shame, because anything above the 400 series is pretty cherry.