I'm not sure if this would be better in GB&C, but I'm a fan of GGA. Anyway...I've had my VK112 for a while, and I was wondering what kinds of mods you guys recommend for making it better, since I always see people saying to mod it and it'll be a decent amp. Everything is stock right now. I play punk/rock/ska/garage/stuff. I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly, if there's any way to get a more marshall-y crunch out of the gain channel, that would be awesome. I also like Fender-y cleans but hey, who doesn't? I'm mostly looking at speaker/tube swaps. Thanks!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Bump, since I have some money to make the improvements now. I might have to sell my Laney soon, so I'm looking for a new speaker for the Peavey, and maybe new tubes but I've only had it for a year, so I don't know if I should bother changing them yet. The amp is going to used extensively for post-pop-punk kind of stuff (Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World, etc.) in one band, and indie/garage rock/british stuff in another band. Basically, I want it to sound Marshally.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
does it have 6l6 tubes? if so, changing them for el34s would probably result in a more marshally crunch.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Okay, that makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Any particular brand better than another?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
well im pretty sure its mostly personal preference. i have jj's in my classic 30 and they sound great. the onyl other tubes i have had were the stock ones. only thing to worry about is when you switch from 6l6 to el34, you need to take it to a shop to get it rebiased.
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
im sure those would be good. try to find a little information about the tube change though before you do it. now that i think about it, ive never heard of anyone doing this in a valveking. ill try to find some clips or something

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
So what's a good speaker? Celestion of some sort, I assume.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
A speaker change would do wonders. I would look at Eminence speakers. They have sounds clips of all their speakers in action on thier website. I like them better than Celestions because I find them not to be as harsh on the high end. Give them a try.
12 fret fury
Eminence have a great tone-chart selector. If you want a more Marshally crunch, go with a redcoat. My fave is the Private jack. Then, you want JJ EL34 for more Marshally roar (you'll probably need to rebias. also keep in mind these will probably make the amp more like 65w) and Tung-Sol 12AX7s - they're higher gain than most and are the best 12AX7 nowadays, great balance.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Eminence have a great tone-chart selector. If you want a more Marshally crunch, go with a redcoat. My fave is the Private jack. Then, you want JJ EL34 for more Marshally roar (you'll probably need to rebias. also keep in mind these will probably make the amp more like 65w) and Tung-Sol 12AX7s - they're higher gain than most and are the best 12AX7 nowadays, great balance.

Anyone else agree that this is the best way to go? It's within budget, so I'm thinking about doing it. Let me know.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
I'd be looking for a confirmation from Peavey that you can swap out the 6L6's for EL34's without a problem, but otherwise it's a fine plan. Eminence is a trusted speaker company. I have a Celestion Century Vintage (type) speaker in an AC30 that I like a lot, too. Very crisp and clear. I think something like that would really open up the VK.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You could do that. I'm a fan of Electro-Harmonix 12AX7's, myself. You could also swap one or more of the existing 12AX7's for a 12AT7 or a 12AY7 for less gain and debatebly better cleans.
Yeah those warehouse ones are meant to be very good. You'd have to make sure it can handle the VK's power though, with EL34 it will be over 60w.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Make sure you get EL34s and not E34Ls. The E34Ls have more bottom end to them which won't be so good for the brighter, fendery cleans you're looking for.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by MrCarrot

+1

Eminence are much better value in US and sometimes Europe too!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
avatarspeakers.com sells really cheap celestion and eminence speakers. if you want that marshall sound i'd get a celesion v30 or a greenback, since thats what most marshall cabs have.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Sorry to go off-topic, but I was thinking of getting the same amp, and I was wondering what your opinion of the stock amp was?
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I own the VK 112 so I'll give you an opinion till Sid gets back to you. In my opinion for newer (1985 on) higher gain music a speaker upgrade may be advisable, but I wouldn't jump on that right away, until you have broken in the stock speaker. I would say a good EQ pedal in the effects loop makes just as much difference except for extreme volume conditions. Tubes tend to be more of a fine-tuning strategy rather than dramatic difference (depends on the amp.) It is a little more modern-voiced and somewhat higher gain (just a little more than moderate) than the Peavey Classic 30 (also a fine amp.) I play classic rock/blues and the VK is great for me stock. Its more rugged than it looks, I have blasted mine and hauled it around a lot.
Some metal players are fine with the stock amp. A few hate it, some love it. I think its a lot of amp for the money, and it hasn't let me down played next to much more expensive amps. I have owned mine for over a year. Try it out thouroghly before purchase.
Quote by uldhppi
I own the VK 112 so I'll give you an opinion till Sid gets back to you. In my opinion for newer (1985 on) higher gain music a speaker upgrade may be advisable, but I wouldn't jump on that right away, until you have broken in the stock speaker. I would say a good EQ pedal in the effects loop makes just as much difference except for extreme volume conditions. Tubes tend to be more of a fine-tuning strategy rather than dramatic difference (depends on the amp.) It is a little more modern-voiced and somewhat higher gain (just a little more than moderate) than the Peavey Classic 30 (also a fine amp.) I play classic rock/blues and the VK is great for me stock. Its more rugged than it looks, I have blasted mine and hauled it around a lot.
Some metal players are fine with the stock amp. A few hate it, some love it. I think its a lot of amp for the money, and it hasn't let me down played next to much more expensive amps. I have owned mine for over a year. Try it out thouroghly before purchase.

thanks a lot. How portable is it btw? Is it a backbreaker? Unfortunately trying isn't a possibility since it's very hard to get equipment here.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by uldhppi
Its real light. Don't even need rollers (casters.)

Ah goodie. After having to haul my friends 120W Spider III up 7 stories, my back was doing a number on me.
I'll try getting the valveking 112 then as a christmas gift

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yup, I agree with everything that was just said. Does anyone know for sure if the VK can be switched to EL34s? Slats suggested calling Peavey, but maybe some of you have made this switch before. Is it common/usually possible?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Yup, I agree with everything that was just said. Does anyone know for sure if the VK can be switched to EL34s? Slats suggested calling Peavey, but maybe some of you have made this switch before. Is it common/usually possible?

I did a little research on google to see if it was possible, finally foundthis page

The first reply says this:
Can you just put any old power tube in there? No. You can swap your 6L6 tubes with EL84s, but only with something like THD Yellow Jackets. First, the EL84 won't fit because it has nine pins, while 6L6 tubes have eight. Second, if you do swap them out, you won't need to rebias because all the biasing happens in the converter. You also won't (likely) damage your amp because the filament (a.k.a. the heater) operates at a lower current than the 6L6. The end result is overall lower output. Can you put an EL34 in there? Yes...however, you risk damaging your amp. Both EL34 and 6L6 tubes have eight pins. If my history is correct, the EL34 was produced in Europe back in the day because American 6L6 makers could not meet global demand. A big difference between these tube types, and something you should be very concerned about, is the greater heater current drawn by EL34 tubes. Your amp my not be able to adequately supply EL34 tubes and remain functional for long. This is not to say that it can't, but the risk is yours if you put them in. The benefit is clipping at lower operating levels, giving you that "British" overdrive (think Marshall amps). The drawback is its opposite: not as much clean at higher volumes. You should check your manual to see if the amp can automatically rebias itself or has a bias switch. Some amps do, I'm guessing yours probably does not.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I don't think I would risk it. Look at the possible combinations of preamp tubes. Maybe switch 6L6's for a different brand. I believe the VK is cathode-biased (otherwise called by the misnomer "self-biasing.") I have been told there is a way to rebias, however all this is heresay so check out everything I say for accuracy.
I would otherwise go with KT66 tubes (if they fit). They are 6L6 type tubes, but have a bit different tone and was used in the early Marshall Plexis (you will hear KT66s on Hendrix, early Cream and Bluesbreaker stuff and early Led Zep stuff).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009