Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

It's about time to start my second project...a ruby amp....
my little brother is in need of an amp and he doesn't live with me and is ahrdly in contact with me cause our parents are divorced and i hardly ever see him nowadays. he's like 11, he has an aria pro electric gutiar that i got for him from japan (hence it beats my modded mexi strat out of the water in stock ) but has no amp, and hardly any money.

i'll base the project off this chematic off generalguitargadgets (ok its not a schematic, but its easier to understand :p) http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

now my question is that sicne he iso n a really tight budget, i dont think i could put a speaker in this one...or at least i couldnt get a good speaker (a cheapo one could actually fit :P), but i thought it would probably be better ifi made this a headphone operated amp, and here's where the questions come in...'

1) what kind of alternative speakers could i put in here
2) would it be better making it a headphone amp rather than with general speakers i could get for cheap?
3) could i just stick headphones in the speaker output? will they work? wouldnt it be better if i used a stereo jack for the output and a mono for the input? i think if i used a stereo for the output, then both sides of the headphones will work, however from my experience, using a mono output would only make one side work and that is rather annoying to be honest...

thats all for now...i just printed a list with all the components, and im gonna go hunting for all the stuff after work

also, could i put all the electronics on a L shaped metal thingie, and then put it into wood or something? i dont have much enclosures available atm cause i cant access the school workshop. also if the L shaped metal thingie was out of wood, would that be bad? (i used to know what it was called, but i fogots it )

SEE PAGE 2 FOR PICS

here's what i'm aiming for (life size). sorry for the crappy paint usage..

Last edited by zwound at Jul 16, 2007,
I need urgent help....this store im looking at right now has slightly different units. it has no ohms, but something tells me this unit 'R' means ohm...that would make most sense, cause everything else seems normal...

YELP!!

does this look like a 10 ohmer to you?

http://www.oomipood.ee/index.php?t=k_ki&i=1%2F4W%2010R
Last edited by zwound at Jul 14, 2007,
ah, why didnt i think of it before...

called them up and asked...yup R = ohm....for some reason

thanks carry
Haha, carry, that's a new one

You can just get a cheapo 6" or something generic speaker. It'll sound decent enough for the use you want, these Rubies are pretty good. I wish I had one as my starter amp. I'm considering making one. But then again I also want a wah, a fuzz, and to mod my amp , it's pretty low on my to-do list

Try and get the metal film resistors if you can, they're much lower noise.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
cheers mate. you were jsut in time to imform me about metal film resistors
hehe wicked They look so cool too! I'll be using metal film in all my builds.

As for the speaker, what's the maximum output of the amp? I'd imagine you want something more like 1-2w, but I dunno what the amp can push.
dno. that IC bit of LM386 (thats the model name). well i got that with 0.5w amplification...that's the bit that i think amplifies mainly (i have no clue actually but it would make sense cause there was a variety of those).

however if all my resistors and **** are 1/4 of a watt, shouldnt i keep the amp at 1/4 w aswell?
as for that particular speaker it seems to be 0.5watts

1/4w is just the rating for resistors, I dunno how the wattage affects whatever but I do know that my amp has a lot of 1/4w resistors in it. It's just like an industry standard. There are other ratings, but I don't think the resistor wattage makes much difference. I mean like most pots are 1/4w too.

A bigger speaker will be more efficient, louder, and have better tone. These rubies don't have much clena headroom, so all the volume you can get it a good thing really. I would rather have something like this http://www.oomipood.ee/index.php?t=k_ki&i=950062 for that amp for the volume issues.
but that's cheaper

and even more cheaper...hell its loudspeakers...do you think it will work?

its like 80p :P:

you cant even buy model car for that :P:
It should work. Dunno how good it will sound, but it's a speaker and should make noise.
Go for it! At that price, you may as well order a few different types, and see which ones sound best. Hell, you could build more. The build won't cost much at all.
i hope i dont need to yell at it
'thou shalt not make farting noises!'

but its a good suggestion trying many out..who knows, maybe some of them will be fine

by the way, im getting japanese made hardware for it (pots and jacks) and it looks like it will cost me like 7 pounds at most...

The Marshall Microamps manage to get by on like a 2" speaker, anything that small isn't gonna be a Celestion Alnico Blue, but that 1w speaker is 75mm and about 3", i'm sure it'll sound absolutely fine.

Lol at 7 pound builds

The expensive part is the casing. I suppose you could fashion a small case out of plywood if you really wanted to.
casing...free sheet metal at school :P:

and probably make a small cab for it/ combo it, so plywood is gonna be needed definitely :P:

although i could get a plastic case for like a pound...
oh man, about the jacks...i think im gonna tweak it slightly and have 2 outputs...a speaker output and a headphone with a switch. im kinda confused if i should get mono or stereo and where...so far ive thought like this...

input: stereo
output speaker: mono
headphone: stereo

the input also could be mono, i think?
Yeah. As long as the circuitry is grounded and has some kind of metal around it then it'll be fine. You could do it like the Marshall Microstacks, I suppose.

I'm not sure how you'd put the headphone out onto the circuit. I assume it'll be mono though, as it's an output jack.
marshall microstacks kinda suck. i hope this will pwn more

EDIT: but if you stick a stereo headphone jack into a mono socket, it will only make one of the headphones work? i dont know...i think something like that happened to me once.
Oh, I didn't figure that. I'm no electrical genius, just an amateur PM Kerry, he'd probably know. Is it gonna be like a combo format? Like the Orange microcrush?
call1800ksmyazz if I remember correctly. Sounds like it will be tehz pwn. You ordered the parts yet?

im ordering...im making slight changes because some of the stuff isnt in stock and they would only get it by august (cant wait that long :p.

ill contact kerry...oh and by the way, the build is costing me like 5 pounds so far...but i need like the capacitators still...i imagine they wont cost me too much...oh and power inputs...
Yeah, awesome. Sounds cheap! My build would've cost £10 without the enclosure, but the enclosure and some high quality gear sets you back loads. Everything on my Ganja Booster is adding up to £33.
...id never buy a metal enclosue...it costs like 70% of the build. id make one for free at school from like 2mm steel....fold it, and weld it...its fuun
Blahh, lucky. I have to pay for mine! Are you just using generic caps and stuff?

I want my components!
ah, im using 2 film/ceramic ones (i think film, maybe theyre less noise) and aluminium electrolytic
Awesome. I hear alot of people don't like ceramic caps for whatever reason. Mallory make great film caps, they're what I'm using.
this site is annoying the crap out of me. they have ****ty units and takes me 5 minutes to figure out what im dealing with -_-
man, the capacitators have different caliburs..and i only found the 0.047uF ones in 100v calibur...whatever that means...is that fine?

do these V's make a difference? there's too many noted, and there's nothing specified really on my billo fm aterials :s
Hmm. Well generally as the voltage increases the size of cap does too, although some aren't like that. My Rangemaster specified minimum 16V for the caps, but no maximum. The Mallories i'm using say they have a max of 630V. I'm not sure what voltage you need for them.
oh...im not gonna specify much then cause i didnt in my pedal...actually i jsut said i need a 10uF capacitator and she jsut gave me one...it worked though

obviously im not gonna take like 1000v ones...but uh...is there a chance this wont work/work badly?
oh ****.

the store doesnt have the transistor i need.

any alternatives to MPF102 or 2N5457 ?

ok, nvm, i found one

so i think ill get all the crap by like...wedensday

so standby...now im going home (im at work)

thanks carry for all the help, man, i preciate it!
When I couldn't find the transistor I needed I just went with one with as similar values to the original suggested one that I could. I dunno how it'll work out yet, hopefully good though

Good luck with it!
oh, lucky!

im home now, and im gonna start making designs for the amp...

mine didnt specify the values AT ALL

:S...

but neither did my pedal build...and i think there were jsut random ones there (i dont know)
Quote by zwound
oh, lucky!

im home now, and im gonna start making designs for the amp...

mine didnt specify the values AT ALL

:S...

but neither did my pedal build...and i think there were jsut random ones there (i dont know)
Mine didn't either, I just looked up the suggested transistors on the site I bought 'em off, got averages of the oens I could find, then looked for the 30V, 1W, 1A spec in an NPN version - I managed to find a 25V 1A 1W called an AC187, which I went for. God knows how it'll sound! There were a few values specified for my rangemaster, but they weren't so specific.

As long as it, for example, said 150ohm resistor and you bought a 150ohm resistor (bad example I know :p you'll be fine.
Quote by MrCarrot

As long as it, for example, said 150ohm resistor and you bought a 150ohm resistor (bad example I know :p you'll be fine.

i think i get it but im confused....so if it said 100uF capacitor, and i got a capacitor of 100uF in a sensible V-tage, id be fine?

oh btw, i ordered 2 of those cheapo speakers on accident, so i might be making a 2x 3''

and oh yeah, Kerry replied, saying anythign above 16v will be fine.

what a relief, and lookie here, another person i owe a beer to..
Quote by zwound
i think i get it but im confused....so if it said 100uF capacitor, and i got a capacitor of 100uF in a sensible V-tage, id be fine?

oh btw, i ordered 2 of those cheapo speakers on accident, so i might be making a 2x 3''

and oh yeah, Kerry replied, saying anythign above 16v will be fine.

what a relief, and lookie here, another person i owe a beer to..
Yeah that was basically what I was getting at

Piccy time!

i went scavanging in the trashcans cause im a cheap guy and i dont feel like paying for stuff...and lookie here..

So basically, my amp will be made out of history...firstly i found a soviet plywood drawer, which i will cut into and glue together, so its twice as wide, but half the height...and in the other corner i have a ''SEPT X6 (it means 16th)) 1994 quality check passed'' (look out you UGers, this might had been made on your birthday, which means you should buy this amp off me right now) computer enclosure, which i will use to put the electronics on, and use it as the panel (ofcourse i will saw it to a appropriate size, and use it for metal whenever i need to. i think its aluminium, so im happy :P)

not too shabby for a 3 minute hunt, huh?

im planning to clean up the drawer, since its prolly from the 60s and has alot of dust and muck on it...some sandpaper, and it will be shinin'.

Page 1 of 2