I hope this is in the right forum.

Anyway, I'm looking to record electric and acoustic guitars. I know I need a microphone for the acoustic, but that's about it. What do I actually need on the hardware and software end?

All those products confuse me.
something with a midi input. id recommend gettin the IK multimedia StealthPlug.
theyre about £80 ($150) and allow you to record, and there are many different amp and pedal modulations. theyre well worth it
Are you planning on recording with a digital recorder or through your computer?

Either way you're going to need a mic. I'd recommend a Shure SM-57. It's very accurate at recreating sounds.

There is a recording forum btw.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by cleft11
something with a midi input. id recommend gettin the IK multimedia StealthPlug.
theyre about £80 ($150) and allow you to record, and there are many different amp and pedal modulations. theyre well worth it

First off, Midi is completely different for recording. You're talking about USB. Stealth plugs are $40 in the US. It includes amp and pedal MODELERS, not modulations.

Also, I think it's much more useful to get a usb mixer, or an audio interface, instead of a one job tool like the Stealthplug. This way, you could use the mixer for recording the acoustic, and also input your electric guitar and use amplitube or similar. Either that, or you could just mic your electric setup.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by MESAexplorer
Are you planning on recording with a digital recorder or through your computer?

Either way you're going to need a mic. I'd recommend a Shure SM-57. It's very accurate at recreating sounds.

There is a recording forum btw.

Oh, my bad. I couldn't find it.

Quote by Reincaster

Also, I think it's much more useful to get a usb mixer, or an audio interface, instead of a one job tool like the Stealthplug. This way, you could use the mixer for recording the acoustic, and also input your electric guitar and use amplitube or similar. Either that, or you could just mic your electric setup.

Audio Interface? As in........

Also, using a microphone on an electric sounds bad. =X
I said use a microphone on the guitar SETUP, not the GUITAR. Where does the sound come out? The amp, mic up the amp. Don't tell me that it sounds bad, because its one of the most used techniques in the history of recording. Virtually every band before the 90's did it that way.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
I said use a microphone on the guitar SETUP, not the GUITAR. Where does the sound come out? The amp, mic up the amp. Don't tell me that it sounds bad, because its one of the most used techniques in the history of recording. Virtually every band before the 90's did it that way.

Oh. I feel stupid. lol

Anyways, how would I go about that?
Basically, a shure SM57 is the standard for recording guitar amps, but I don't like it much, but it's just me. It'l probably work just fine for most applications though. Use that mic, run it into a mixer, and if the mixer has usb, run the mixer into the computer.

If the mixer does not have usb, you'll need an audio interface. Just search audio interface at musicians friend.

Another option is to skip the mixer, and get the audio interface, plug your guitar into it, and use something like amplitube to model the sound. Beware, amplitube is expensive.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Or you could get a shure and get something like a mic preamp and plug the mic into that. Look for the Line 6 toneport. They're pretty good for amateur recording.

Also your gonna need a recording program. Audacity is a pretty good free program. Google it and ownload it.
Quote by outerlimit501
Or you could get a shure and get something like a mic preamp and plug the mic into that. Look for the Line 6 toneport. They're pretty good for amateur recording.

Also your gonna need a recording program. Audacity is a pretty good free program. Google it and ownload it.

I'm beta testing Audacity 3, and I've been toying with the source code. lmao