Hey, I figured you'd know more about this than any other forum. I need to know if it's possible to hook 2 PA speakers straight into the mixer, and if so which output of the mixer should I plug the speakers into?

Cheers
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Only if the speakers are active. If they are passive, you will need a power amplifier or a powered mixer.

It would go like this:

Instrument --> Mixer --> Power amp --> Passive Speakers

Its the same thing for active speakers, but you just cut out the power amp part.
^^Cheers for that. Do you know if using a XLR to jack cable would work in the same situation as a XLR to XLR. So mic the amp, and then run it into a jack slot rather than a XLR. It's just becuase my mate is putting his own show on and doesnt have the money for a professional sound guy, so he asked me. But my mixer only has 4 XLR inputs because it's mainly used for home recording, and he wants to use like 6 mics, 2 vocals, 2 guitars, bass and bass drum.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
The XLR to jack cable thing will work.

Your mixer has 4 inputs, but you want to use 6 mics? That's going to be difficult. Or do you mean you mixer has only got four XLR inputs, but a few more jack inputs?

You could always run a line out from the guitar amps, if the amp has one. And you could use a DI box for the bass, but they're like £20-30 I think; you may not be wanting to spend any cash.
Ah sorry, yea I meant 4 XLR inputs and then I think 6 jack inputs. Each band needs different things but the biggest band I was going to mic 2 vocals, the bass drum and guitar. Then line in the other guitar and bass. Or should I mic the bass and line in the 2 guitars?

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Ahh ok, I'll do that then. Cheers all of you.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I have another question but didn't see the need to make a new thread. I have a power amp that has left, right and bridged speakon outputs and two P.A speakers. So how would I connect a monitor for the stage. Would I buy a powered speaker and plug it into the aux sends on my mixer?

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
^Yes, or you could run a separate power amp with Passive speakers as monitors, but yeah the AUX sends are your best bet, just make sure you note if they are PRE or POST fader, because that can easily give you headaches trying to control the levels for the FOH speakers vs the monitor levels.
Awesome cheers. Makes life easier and cheaper.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau