My current amp is a Laney RB5 and I was wanting something a little bigger. Now, I was wondering, what are the advantages of having a seperate head and cab in comparison to a combo amp like I have now?

Cheers

Filth
usually, a head/cab will generally have more power than most combos, and you also have many different options (a 4x10 for faster transients but not as 'deep' a sound, or a 1x15 for big bottom, but muddier high end.)
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
So if I was looking to buy a head and cab, what sorta price would I be looking at for a good set up? In England, and can you reccomend any good makes?
Last edited by filthandfury at Jul 14, 2007,
The advantage of separate head/cab is that you can get a head from a well known company for heads and a cab from a company that makes excellent cabs. Also with separates you can have a 1x15 and a 4x10 going to the same head to get a more covering sound.

As for price, a stack (head and cab) together would probably cost a bare minimum of 600-700 to get something that would give good tone. However, you can get combos that have very high wattage also for somewhat cheap.
I had better start saving then!

One more question, what kind of input is on the cabs? And what outputs on the head? Cheers, I'm new to all this.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by kind of inputs and outputs but with heads and cabs it is easier to mix and match what you like and even add another cab to make it a full cab (only when need be of course though )

Also I just bought a GK (don't feel like trying to spell it) Backline 600 head and GK Goldline series 4x10 cab. It sounds muy bueno!
really simple i have a 3' speaker cable that you can pick up at any guitar center or guitar store... it plugs into a jack in the head and one in the cab, both 1/4" big (normal guitar cable width). It is rather easy to hook up.
Quote by Biehayn
both 1/4"

Cool, that's what I wanted to know, thanks.

So, what makes do people reccomend? Any to steer clear of?
Quote by filthandfury
Cool, that's what I wanted to know, thanks.

So, what makes do people reccomend? Any to steer clear of?

No: Behringer, Marshall.
If you like the tone of your RB5, the RB-9 head from Laney is pretty meaty.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Alright, I'll try keep away from Behringers and Marshalls, thanks.

Any ideas of a good place to start looking? I don't want one that's too expensive, but not a crappy one that I'll be looking to replace straight away.
Look into a second hand Trace Elliot. They make killer amps, buying new from them is rather expensive tho!

Ashdown make good Head/Cab systems, they have the MAG range which is more intermediate and the ABM range which is semi pro. Ashdown also have the Superfly head which is on sale at soundcontrol atm for just £199, its 500W of good tone too!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by filthandfury
My current amp is a Laney RB5 and I was wanting something a little bigger. Now, I was wondering, what are the advantages of having a seperate head and cab in comparison to a combo amp like I have now?Cheers Filth

Combos are usualy a trade off; which is that the internal volume of the speaker compartment is under the recomended size to be fully efficient in producing Bass guitar frequencies at a high SPL.
Bass combos should only be considered if they have the facility to add an extension cab without disabling the existing speaker, you'd be surprised how often this is the case.
Heads and cabs allow you to mix and match at your liesure or how often your pocket will allow, I have various combinations and if I know the venue I can take a suitable rig.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Jonnomainman
Look into a second hand Trace Elliot. They make killer amps, buying new from them is rather expensive tho!

Ashdown make good Head/Cab systems, they have the MAG range which is more intermediate and the ABM range which is semi pro. Ashdown also have the Superfly head which is on sale at soundcontrol atm for just £199, its 500W of good tone too!

I saw the Ashdown Superfly the other day, is it any good? Will it give a nice sound, a nice LOUD sound (with the right cabs of course)
For the price it certainly is worth it!

I dont like the digital EQ tho. That's really my only greavence. I would get it while you can yunno!

You won't lose out on any resale and even in the future when you upgrade i'd keep it as an uber portable backup.

500W... Course it's loud

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
how much is £199 in USDs?
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?