my friend and i were trying to swap out the pickups and pickguards of our fakie strats (so we could get to know the inside of our guitars). we did one guitar no problem, but on the second guitar we are having problems with the input jack. where should we be looking for problems so we can try to fix it?
Check the wires to your output jack. There's only two of them. One should come off the volume pot, and the other should come off of a ground somewhere. (most likely grounded to the back of the volume pot)

Are you sure its the output jack thats the problem? Have you checked all of the wiring?
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
yes we've checked the wiring. Everything looks ship-shape. We think it is the output jack because we took off the inout jacks and took off the ground in the back of the guitar. Thats it.

So basically, we checked the wiring and nothing looks wrong. Any other ideas?
Make sure you didn't bend the tip connection. You may have to pull it out and look at it, push a phono plug into it and see if the tip is making solid contact.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
Make sure you didn't bend the tip connection. You may have to pull it out and look at it, push a phono plug into it and see if the tip is making solid contact.

Ok, I will, what is a phono plug?
it's the cable you hook up to the amp/guitar. He's saying push the cable in and make sure it makes contact with the piece that sticks out(rather the piece that sticks out, but into the guitar).
Right!

Thanks for breaking it down for me.

Phono is the type of connector you're using for your guitar cables. I should've said just plug your cable into the jack while its outside of the guitar and make sure it has good contact with the notched end of the plug.
My Music
It does, we checked that...We're gonna go strip the wire and re-solder it on.

Any other ideas?
Quote by mark_wuk
Post some pics - someone might spot what you've done wrong.

I can't post pictures untill I get back to my house. We don't have a camera here.

Well, newest update:
We re-soldered the jack anmd that is fixed. The problem is now somewhere in the volume pot. Ideas and suggestions?

And now there is a constant humming. When we touch something metal on the guitar (bridge, pots, springs) it humms louder. What could that be and how could we fix that?
Have you wired the jack up the same way it was before? You might have wired it up backwards...
Quote by mark_wuk
Have you wired the jack up the same way it was before? You might have wired it up backwards...

The jack is fine, the pot is bad.
Try wiring your hot wire from the volume pot directly to the wire going to the output jack. This will eliminate the volume pot and force the volume on 10. If it works perfectly like that, then I can believe your pot is bad. If not, then you're still messing up the wiring.

If you didn't get the bridge ground soldered in right, it will hum a lot and touching the strings affects it.
My Music
Ok, I am the friend.

The pot isnt bad, it is wired bad. It is wired bad at the volume pot and not at the imput jack. That means we have to take both the wires off the pot and re-solder them, right?
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Yeah, its almost always the wiring.

We all make wiring mistakes. Don't be too proud to recheck your stuff a second time carefully.
My Music
Yeah, we do. I cant see any problems with the wiring though. We'll just have to re-solder everything on the pot then.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
You've wired the hot and ground wrong, which makes the grounding problems worse when you touch any grounded parts.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by zeroyon
All the advice you've given in this thread has been sound, but you messed up just a bit on the terminology.

The word you should use is phone plug.

A phono plug is something entirely different. It's sometimes referred to as an RCA plug. It has a tip and a shell. Look at the cables used to connect a VCR, DVD player, or hi-fi components. These use phono plugs.

...other than that one detail, nice work.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
All the advice you've given in this thread has been sound, but you messed up just a bit on the terminology.

The word you should use is phone plug.

A phono plug is something entirely different. It's sometimes referred to as an RCA plug. It has a tip and a shell. Look at the cables used to connect a VCR, DVD player, or hi-fi components. These use phono plugs.

...other than that one detail, nice work.

According to Wiki (I checked to make sure), you are indeed correct. I have to say that I've always called 1/4" plugs and jack phono though.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Yeah, I'm a product of my environment. I hear them called that a lot, so I end up calling them that.
My Music