Hello UG,

I've been playing for about 6 years, and am currently saving up to buy myself a top-end guitar, particularly if all goes well with my band and we meet with a bit of luck and success. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Double cutaway.
- Light if possible.
- Mahogany with some kind of maple cap.
- Carved top.
- Warm tone, but not too warm - I still want it to be aggressive, crunchy and fat sounding.
- Not really a fan of bitey treble/mids.
- Fat bass response so lots of crunch and chunk on palm muting.
- Smooth, fast neck, but not too thin - I have reasonably large hands so I need to be able to feel the neck in my hand, but obviously not too fat.
- Dual humbucker.

Any suggestions? Thanks. Any more questions, ask 'em!

What sort of music do you play, and with what amp?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Lightweight mahogany guitar. Oxymoron.

Looks like you might want a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Custom.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Oh yes, of course, sorry. I play hard rock/alternative. With my band, it's sort of punk, but very hard and aggressive, lots of palm-muted chugging riffs, almost Metallica-esque. I suppose a good comparison would be early Thrice only without screaming?

But yes, most stuff I play is punk, hardcore, and some metal.

At the moment I have an ENGL Screamer amplifier.
ESP Horizon is what you want mate. Check thomann.de they're usually pretty good on prices.

You wont get a standard Gibby LP for that in this country.

link

that + EMGs = oooh. it has a mahogany body, the spec on that site is wrong for some reason.

or if you want a maple cap, check musik-schmidt.de

they have more of a choice of stuff like that, and they're still pretty reasonable on the prices.
Last edited by cheames at Jul 14, 2007,
Nice amp! Maybe look into Ibanez JS models, PGM301, RGs and JEMs - these have mostly basswood bodies though, may not be to your liking as they aren't as bass-intense as mahogany but it's a fairly balanced wood.

Perhaps an ESP? They do double-cutaway Strat models in both the ESP and LTD range, all of which are pretty formidable. Definitely worth looking into if you want the fatter neck and mahogany .
maybe a schecter c-1 elite?
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Erm... I am just guessing, I don't know if it sounds near like what you want, but what about a Gibson SG?
Tear me if I am wrong, I only know, it's a double cut guitar, with humbuckers.
C1 Hellraiser.

Dual EMGs, fast neck, double cutaway, good for crunchy tone.

Alot of Schecters are nice too.

EDIT: Oops i forgot about the price, how many dollars is 1200 -erm- euros? (i think thats what that symbol is) Is it like ~ $1600?
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Last edited by BillieJoeFreak: at Jul 14, 2007,
Cool cool, lots of good suggestions, keep them coming and I shall find somewhere that stocks them all and try them. No one's mentioned PRS's yet, which surprised me, are they not well regarded?

EDIT - that was a pound sign hehe, and £1200 roughly equals $2400. I think the exchange rate is about double at the moment.
Last edited by el_jimbo at Jul 14, 2007,
PRS are well regarded, just expensive, particularly in the UK. You could only really get a CE at that price new, and it'd need some pickup changing to get metal tone, as opposed to the Ibanez I recommended which have great stock pickups.
Dean Hardtail. It fits all your needs. You'll get a great axe, just as good if not better than a PRS, Les Paul, or SG. Its made out of African Mahogany with a beauty of a quilted maple top. And its a bit lighter than a LP. The stock pups are Seymore Duncans JB Bridge and Jazz neck.
Its a neck through body and the fretboard is ebony, a bit smoother than rosewood.
Quote by acidious666
Dean Hardtail. It fits all your needs. You'll get a great axe, just as good if not better than a PRS, Les Paul, or SG. Its made out of African Mahogany with a beauty of a quilted maple top. And its a bit lighter than a LP. The stock pups are Seymore Duncans JB Bridge and Jazz neck.
Its a neck through body and the fretboard is ebony, a bit smoother than rosewood.

I second the Dean Hardtail. Make sure to get a used one. I've played one and it felt like butter on something very beautiful.