i have the privilege of checking out an orange ad15/12 and a vox ac15 (made in england, all tube with alnico blue speakers) in the next few days for a purchase. i hear both of them are out of production now and its a rare find to find either, especially the all in england vox.

i was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with either of these or could comment on the versatility of the amps. tone and reliability?

i've been reading mixed reviews about the loudness of these 15 watt amps. i play a lot of instrumental post rock music with a les paul, like a mix of minus the bear, russian circles, and explosions in the sky.

one of the reasons i'm getting a 15 watt is just the size and portability, i'll be living in nyc soon without a car and wanted to be able to carry the amp without ripping my arms off.

thanks in advance for the advice! oh yea, and its my first post here at UG, wahoo!
Last edited by rocketpants at Jul 14, 2007,
Quote by rocketpants

one of the reasons i'm getting a 15 watt is just the size and portability, i'll be living in nyc soon without a car and wanted to be able to carry the amp without ripping my arms off.

It's still too heavy to walk around NYC for more than a couple blocks. I'm assuming the Vox will weigh at least 50 lbs
Well the Orange AD15 has VERY little gain, barely even enough for Zep.

The Vox is pretty nice.

But as Gutch said htey're heavy to carry.

My tip is to get an Orange Tiny Terror and matching 1x12 cab.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ +1... and put wheels on the cab...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Yeah, both are great amps, but neither is an amp I'd want to carry around the NYC subway system.

The Tiny Terror and a 1x12 is a great suggestion. I do a lot of advertising for them, but Tone Tubby makes excellent sounding cabs out of all pine for maximum portability.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by latinosuperstud
^ +1... and put wheels on the cab...

That's not really an option for the Orange. They have skid plates on the bottom that acoustically couple it to the stage. Putting wheels on would kill part of the sound.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
But the 112 is light and can easliy be carried in one hand.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

thanks for the responses. i'll definitely look into the weight of the amps when i check them out. anyone else have any experience with these in terms of tone and reliability?
u can't really get that orgasmic full overdrive tone from an AC15 at normal volume. u gotta crank it to make it really scream.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
lol. quite damn loud. but better louder.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i don't see the AD15 on the Orange amps website... are they discontinued cuz the tiny terror is out?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^Yeap.

IMO the TT is nicer, it can get some gain (the AD15 is basically clean all the way) and has better cleans.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

yea, from what i hear the AD15 has been discontinued for a while now. i was also hard pressed to find the single channel AD30 from orange as well. the guy at the local guitar shop mentioned those were discontinued as well.